PDA

View Full Version : Keeping planar texture maps attached to polygons?

aniboy2000
05-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi. I'm making a static helix of playing cards in modeler (like the cards are being blown away, sucked into a vortex, etc.)

I made the individual cards and textured their faces and backs with Planar Projection textures.
Of course, when I apply the Helix command, the rotation of the cards no longer matches the planes, so the textures are messed up.
I have no experience with making my own UV maps in LW, and I don't really have time to figure them out right now.

Is there any way to just keep the planar projections attached, and oriented properly based on the orientation of the cards' face polygons' normals?

Wade
05-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Makeing UVs is very easy for something like a card, Hit F1 adn take a look at the online help.

It would almost take less time than posting a question here. :)

wade

gjjackson
05-23-2005, 09:13 PM
You'd be better off using morphs with the texture maps.

T-Light
05-24-2005, 09:40 AM
UV maps would be the way to go.

However, you could just make your cards as individual models (set up to recieve the correct planar projection in modeler).

Load the individual models into LW layout, then animate accordingly - DON'T move any cards on your first frame, set a key frame (at say frame 10) and move your cards into position and animate them from there.

The planar maps will lock at your first frame and remain locked to your cards throughout the anim. Simply select the frame you want for your final picture and your off.

Don't know if that's what you wanted to hear, but it is a way around it without using UV's

aniboy2000
05-24-2005, 02:31 PM
T-Light:
I would love to just arange all the objects in Layout, but unfortunately there's no way I'll be able to put the cards in a neat spiral, like cloning them with the Helix command in Modeler would.

SplineGod
05-25-2005, 02:53 AM
Do the back and front textures of each card need to be different?