PDA

View Full Version : No more L.W.

Tiger
05-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Yesterday I wanted to re-install L.W.8.3 on my pc because it crashes sometimes when I do renders with F-Prime. So I removed L.W. from my pc just to find out that my programdisc had a small crack on it, and therefore the installation would not start.

I must have made this crack last time when I inserted the disc back again...and I didn`t made a copy of it. Stupid me! I wrote to Newtek-europe about this today- but my guess is that if you brake or lose the programdisc-that`s it, no more L.W.

Anyone had some experience about this before?

/Tiger

Arquero
05-23-2005, 11:23 AM
My guess is as long as you have your license (that word sucks to spell) key and your dongle, I don't see why replacing the disc would be a problem. All your money is tied up into your license key and dongle. Newtek should be able to send you another disc for a small price. It may not be free as they have to ship and handle it. I wish you luck!

Arquero

Tiger
05-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Oh...Thank you Arquero! I feel much better allready :D
Guess I recive an replay from Newtek tomorrow...let`s see what they say.

mattclary
05-23-2005, 01:11 PM
You can just install a downloaded patch if you want. All you will be missing is the content, I think. Yeah, I think they will send you a new disc, they are cool like that, as it's useless without a dongle.

Tiger
05-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Oh yes...didn`t think of that. Still it`s nice to have the cd :)

Captain Obvious
05-23-2005, 04:27 PM
You could just download it from some pirate site. Technically, this is not a crime since you already have a licence.

JamesCurtis
05-23-2005, 10:38 PM
You're wrong. Downloading LW from a pirate site is still illegal since the software didn't come from Newtek itself or one of the authorized resellers/retailers.

BeeVee
05-24-2005, 02:19 AM
Hey Tiger,

I didn't get an email from you yet, but yes we will replace your program CD free of charge. Did you send mail to [email protected]?

B

Captain Obvious
05-24-2005, 03:45 AM
You're wrong. Downloading LW from a pirate site is still illegal since the software didn't come from Newtek itself or one of the authorized resellers/retailers.
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that the crime is when you actually use the software without a permit. Oh well, I suppose I could be wrong.

Para
05-24-2005, 04:20 AM

Depends on the country. As you may have noticed, when we buy software, we pay for the LICENSE, not the media itself. As for legality I don't know how US laws see this but here in Europe it's perfectly fine to download the software in a case like this as long as the license is still valid. Of course having an original distribution media (=CD or DVD) is nice, but sometimes it's good that laws give us alternative ways to obtain our software so that we don't have to wait for replacement and lose valuable time while waiting.

Chuck
05-24-2005, 07:41 AM
You could just download it from some pirate site. Technically, this is not a crime since you already have a licence.

That wouldn't be correct, Captain. It is illegal to used a cracked version of a software product, even if you own a license.

Chuck
05-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Depends on the country. As you may have noticed, when we buy software, we pay for the LICENSE, not the media itself. As for legality I don't know how US laws see this but here in Europe it's perfectly fine to download the software in a case like this as long as the license is still valid. Of course having an original distribution media (=CD or DVD) is nice, but sometimes it's good that laws give us alternative ways to obtain our software so that we don't have to wait for replacement and lose valuable time while waiting.

Ben would have to say for sure, but I believe you are mistaken. Since he has a license, how he gets a legal version of the software may not matter, but downloading a cracked version from a pirate site and using it is not legal. Neither making or using an illegal modification of a copyright product is a legal activity anywhere, so fas ar I understand.

As was mentioned, he could download and install an update from NewTek to be able to work until he receives the replacement CD.

Para
05-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Ben would have to say for sure, but I believe you are mistaken. Since he has a license, how he gets a legal version of the software may not matter, but downloading a cracked version from a pirate site and using it is not legal. Neither making or using an illegal modification of a copyright product is a legal activity anywhere, so fas ar I understand.

Technically most of the software that can be downloaded from the internet isn't pre-cracked, that's what you have to do by yourself either by hand or using prebuilt crack programs and/or cracked parts of the program. Cracking is of course illegal since it's against the terms in license.

Captain Obvious
05-24-2005, 08:48 AM
That wouldn't be correct, Captain. It is illegal to used a cracked version of a software product, even if you own a license.
A cracked version, yes, that might be illegal in most places. But it is probably quite easy to find an original CD copy on the internet, unmodified.

But since he's getting a replacement CD regardless, this debate is somewhat useless (debatting piracy and such is interesting, but NewTek's forum is hardly the right place for such a discussion).

Weetos
05-24-2005, 08:56 AM
I don't know for the other countries, but in france it's illegal since the code and what's provided with it are copyrighted material and therefore cannot be distributed without the editor's permission. The fact that you're a legit user doesn't matter

Para
05-24-2005, 09:14 AM
I don't know for the other countries, but in france it's illegal since the code and what's provided with it are copyrighted material and therefore cannot be distributed without the editor's permission. The fact that you're a legit user doesn't matter

That applies to distribution, not obtaining. Tricky.

Tiger
05-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Problem solved! Got this mail today...

"Dear Thomas,

Your LightWave days are not over!!! NewTek Europe will be happy to send you
a new install CD.

Please give me your full details, phone number and dealer name so that I can
have this shipped to you.

Looking forward to your reply,

Best regards.

Carole LE BERRE
Sales Representative
United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Scandinavia and South Africa."

Thank you NewTek!!

Exception
05-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Hey another reason for having a discovery-version download from the newtek site.