PDA

View Full Version : Finally...

nuclearchutney
05-23-2005, 12:11 AM
after years of slackin' off, i finally spent the money and upgraded from 6 (more like 6.5) to 8.3... after all, i couldn't pass up such a sweet upgrade price...

so first things first:

for those who have 8.3, what i can expect as far as:
a) workflow enhancement
b) rendering times
c) improvements in lighting
&
d) character tools

i am finally in a position where i can fully utilize atleast the first three... and i know i will add G2 to my toolbox as well my line of work deals with quite a bit of photorealism...

WilliamVaughan
05-23-2005, 12:35 AM
My suggestion would be to download all the 8.0 vidz from the LW site for starters. That will get you up to speed pretty fast IMHO.

wacom
05-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Just my taste...but you might want to consider Fprime instead of G2. Just a thought...

nuclearchutney
05-23-2005, 12:58 AM
Just my taste...but you might want to consider Fprime instead of G2. Just a thought...

there's a reason for me getting G2... i don't care about the faster rendering... i am more concerned about controlling specularity, anisotropy and just getting better lighting control... :)

nuclearchutney
05-23-2005, 12:59 AM
My suggestion would be to download all the 8.0 vidz from the LW site for starters. That will get you up to speed pretty fast IMHO.

thank you so much... i will definitely be checking them out :)

UnCommonGrafx
05-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Ya, but that's the beauty of Fprime: it lets you do those things real time with the native tools.
So, anistropy and things like that are a bit more accessibly buiilt using fprime a realtime previewer.

I would strongly suggest fprime first for this reason and many more.

T-Light
05-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Yup, I'm with Wacom and UnCommonGrafx on the Fprime front.

G2's looks a really usefull bit of kit, but FPrime's a 'can't do without - MUST HAVE'

nuclearchutney
05-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Ya, but that's the beauty of Fprime: it lets you do those things real time with the native tools.
So, anistropy and things like that are a bit more accessibly buiilt using fprime a realtime previewer.

I would strongly suggest fprime first for this reason and many more.

first of all thank you for your recommendation... FPrime is definitely on the list... :)

but its still second on the list compared to G2... there's a whole host of features in G2 that i will heavily apply to a scene before i render...

plus the BRDF shader in LW just plain blows... thats why G2 is a must have coz i tend to a lot of objects that have brushed metal...

nuclearchutney
05-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Yup, I'm with Wacom and UnCommonGrafx on the Fprime front.

G2's looks a really usefull bit of kit, but FPrime's a 'can't do without - MUST HAVE'

hehe its on the list :)

but still after G2 :p

wacom
05-24-2005, 04:02 PM
YOu can do antriscopic type stuff with the radial noise procedural and/or using a streached crust procedural in conjunction with gradients etc. Now getting it to work without Fprime can be a pain in the arse...but with it! This isn't my best example, but it is one of my mor current. I can render out one with the effect more "heay" if you wish.

Trust us- Fprime it instead!

Captain Obvious
05-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Could you explain how, wacom? ;) I've been trying to get anisotropic effects with bump maps without much success.