PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing across objects

iamsontran
05-21-2005, 06:43 PM
I am trying to make an object with 72 different pieces formed into a cylinder. Object on left is 1 piece and object on right is 72. I want the right one to look like the 1st one, but still be in 72 different pieces. Any ideas on how to do this?

http://img94.echo.cx/img94/4832/image5sf.jpg

toonafish
05-21-2005, 07:14 PM
you could do that with a clipmap.

copy the 2 segments next to each one to create a smooth edge between the seperate pieces, merge them, and create a weightmap where you give the polygons you want to show a value of 100% and the the ones you want to hide -100%.

Then in the objects panel, create a gradient clipmap where you use white for -100% and black for 100%.

You could do that for one piece and just clone the object in Layout.

iamsontran
05-21-2005, 07:49 PM
I think I left a small detail out. Each of the 72 pieces looks like this.
http://img94.echo.cx/img94/8388/blah3iw.jpg
After I made the cylinder, I removed a section and added some polygons to make it a single piece. Each one of the pieces needs to be able to move independently from each other, and when the come together in the cylinder form have a smooth edge.

Rory_L
05-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Hello!

I couldn`t swear to it, but this sounds like as job for normal mapping, doesn`t it? If you map the direction of the poly normals from the cylinder onto those of the bars you should get them to mimic the original look.

Cheers,

R

Edit: Didn`t read the bit about the bars separating. Guess this idea won`t work, then! You might get the right result by morphing the bars into overlapping arcing plates to form the cylinder.

Edit#2: If all the bar pieces are coming together at the same time, the easiest solution would be an object disolve in Layout.

SplineGod
05-22-2005, 01:11 AM
You could just animate the pieces to form into a cylindrical shape. At the same time you have the nice smooth cylinder dissolved out. When the pieces lock up dissolve them out and dissolve the nice cylinder in. :)

iamsontran
05-22-2005, 02:29 PM
You could just animate the pieces to form into a cylindrical shape. At the same time you have the nice smooth cylinder dissolved out. When the pieces lock up dissolve them out and dissolve the nice cylinder in. :)

I'm also tilting the pieces so I don't think that'll work. I somehow need to make the pieces the exact shape it's supppose to be, regardless of other pieces. Maybe I could subpatch it somehow to? Might have to increase the polys.