PDA

View Full Version : "Repeat" for gradients outside defined areas

hesido
05-21-2005, 06:30 PM
"Repeat" for gradients outside defined areas:

This is similar to imagemaps.. Currently gradients behave like "edge" in image maps.

With the edition of "Mirror" + "Repeat" to gradients, their use would be GREATLY enhanced. And just like many other of my feature suggestions, this is dead easy to code.

Example:
Distance to null defined from 0 to 10 meters. At 2 meters, we define a value of 30%.

With Repeat:
The gradient output value is 30% at 12meters, 22 meters...

With Mirror:
The gradient output value is 30% at 18meters, 22 meters...

And here is a real life usage for those who would say, "What on earth would this be useful for, we need no such thing! And we don't want you to have it either!":
http://www.hesido.com/display/cgtalk/wobblyjelly.gif

I animated this "water creature" using normal displacement along a morph target, and a wavy gradient based on distance to null. Now, with some clever calculations and careful setup, I can make this loop, tho if I decide that motion be slower, that needs immediate recalculation, otherwise hiccups occur in animation.

A mirror gradient would simply allow me to let the null go to eternity while having a perfect loop for the whole animation..

For those still against this, this is not the only use for it. Please use your imagination. And I guess this would better be coded by NT into the gradient system, instead of a third party plugin.

Karmacop
05-22-2005, 03:57 AM
Great idea!

I think gradients were a good thought, but they are very limited. More things like this need to be added to gradients.

Exper
05-23-2005, 04:26 AM
Yes for sure!

I'll update my Gradients requests Thread! ;)

hesido
05-23-2005, 04:42 AM
Yes for sure!

I'll updates my Gradients requests Thread! ;)

I like that thread indeed :)

Exper, is it possible that you organize that thread so the top priority enhancements are given more importance? There are really very cool ideas that will help in very specific tasks, but I believe cardinal ones like gradient based on diffuse lighting should be advocated stronger than the other ones... (I wonder what NT thinks or whether they doing anything about those super cool ideas anyway.)

edit: I uploaded an avatar for celebrating my 100th post :) So you can now remember me from an avatar. Boy, avatars are nice things! :)

Exper
05-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks! ;)

It's possible! :D
I'll work on that Thread as soon as possible but there's one major problem: I reached the max post lenght of 10,000 characters.
I'm forced to open a new Thread reserving 2/3 free posts and then rearranging the whole thing.

edit: yep... avatar a really funny and useful... I'd be vanished long ago! :D

GregMalick
05-23-2005, 10:01 AM
For what it's worth I think this is a great idea and cast my vote for this too!

toby
05-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Does the gradient request thread include a 'bounding box' gradient? So we can do a top-to-bottom or left-to-right ramp without having to make an image map? Think that would be easy to code too...

hesido
05-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Does the gradient request thread include a 'bounding box' gradient? So we can do a top-to-bottom or left-to-right ramp without having to make an image map? Think that would be easy to code too...

Nice one!

How about a custom gradient shape controlled by closed spline curves? :D

Oh, I am getting carried away, just give me mirroring in gradients and I'll be off :)

BTW Exper, I guess you have my idea already listed but it is not eloborated, it might be "gradient tiling" . I guess it is similar to what I say, but my thread simply eloborates the suggestion.

Captain Obvious
05-23-2005, 04:29 PM
While we're brainstorming, I'd really*love to be able to define my gradients mathematically. "The output is equal to the sinus of the input parameter," or whatever.

Exper
05-24-2005, 05:12 AM
Great new ideas! :cool:

Just to remeber the old Thread: Gradient Input (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=11098)
and a little more updated version here: Gradient Input (http://3drecursions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50)

hesido
06-14-2006, 04:35 AM
I am proud to announce the availability of this feature in LW9, as shown in the public demo videos :)

toby
06-14-2006, 09:26 PM
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9_demos.php
( it's so hard to find what you want on this website sometimes )