PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Line Rendering

tektonik
05-21-2005, 02:59 PM
in arch viz we NEED it bad!

Electric Image had a very good hidden line render mode (hint)

toby
05-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Can you explain the technique? There's probably a way to do it in LW, but maybe you want it automated - there may be a way to do that too...

edit
Oh you mean like modeler's hidden line - I thought it was a rendering style

How about textured wire?

tektonik
05-22-2005, 10:09 AM
by hidden line i mean hidden line!

no need to play with surface material or shaders!!! just lines and a backgroung not wireframe hidden line

anyone in arch viz knows what i mean and knows we don't have it in LW

a+

toby
05-22-2005, 01:08 PM
I see - I don't deserve to understand since I'm not in arch-viz, and it's better to not have a solution than to use a work-around.:rolleyes:

I don't think that specific requests are granted very often or very quickly, so you might need to use another package for this effect. Nothing wrong with using 2 apps to get what you want.

tischbein3
05-25-2005, 05:42 AM
now, BEFORE buying to a different package:
(say if this isn't what you want)

Use the polygon edges in the object properties to define the lines....
(Lets say, give it a white color)

In surface editor set the surfaces color to black

render in realistic mode

JML
05-25-2005, 06:36 AM
yes, hidden line would be nice in LW,
(in EI, it was not possible to do a hidden line render at high rez with a heavy scene, we all time had problem here)

a work around for hidden line render in LW is to :
- set your background to black,
- set all your surfaces to pure black with no diffuse,
- go in each objects property (use the spreadsheet) and in the edge tab,
check :
- silhouette edges,
- unshared edges
- sharp edges
- surfaces borders

(same thing as tischbein3 mentioned)

using this method, you can also use the 'shrink edge with distance' tool which is very useful when your objects appear near and close to the camera.

of course , it takes longer to setup the scene, but you also get a lot more control..
(if for example you want 1 building to have thiner edges with a different color,etc...)

tektonik
05-25-2005, 12:21 PM
sorry dudes it doesn't work...

pff1.jpg

pff2.jpg

JML
05-25-2005, 01:34 PM
make sure your antialiasing is on
(set it to enlow for example..)

tektonik
05-25-2005, 09:12 PM
sorry but in your 2 examples it doesn't work (the small columns near the top for example)

in the second one you see all edges (on round objects like columns) instead of only the silhouette

we need a hidden line mode just before realistic mode in render that's it :)

Kvaalen
05-26-2005, 01:12 AM
That could easily be adjusted. Infact, I have the impression that JML purposely made the edges visible on round corners so you can see what is possible.

JML
05-26-2005, 06:46 AM
I was not sure what you meant tektonik so I posted 2 different kind..
doing a hideline this way is not all time clean, there is all time some line missing there and there (it depends on how you built the object) but it's pretty close to what it should be..

I agree, a quick hideline mode would be excelent.

tischbein3
05-26-2005, 07:06 AM
Yeah in no word a bad request, (although on the lower side of my personal priority list), ....especially in the speed gain you could expect... :)

But as said above, until its included, the technique is really an alternative to experiment with....

toby
05-28-2005, 01:44 AM
I found out something interesting, when I tried it I got missing lines like jml did, on those pillars it should show the 'silhouette' edges, but it doesn't. I had some pillars that did the same thing, so I experimented. When I swapped it out for other objects, the edges would appear. Bring back the pillars, nothing. I tried everything in the object properties, smoothing, removing all maps and bump, advanced tab options, environment, nothing.

The only thing that finally gave me silhouette outlines was to apply a new surface in Modeler. After I did that, it didn't matter what I did to the surface, the outlines would always work. I think the old surface was applied in an older version of LW, that's the only difference I know of.

So this may be the workaround, and also something for Newtek to look into.

Exception
05-30-2005, 01:05 PM
If there are all kinds of polygon edges lines showing up in your line renders, make sure the objects have smoothing on!!

It took me months to find this out!

Tektonic: Your renders have this problem.

Sharp Creases is evaluated on a smoothing threshold basis. When not turning on smoothing for an object, and controlling its angle, you get lines on every polygon edge!
This is UNDOCUMENTED!

JML
05-30-2005, 08:40 PM
thank you ,
very good to know