PDA

View Full Version : Parts list for 64 bit machine??

John Melvin
05-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Can anybody recommend a parts list for a LW 64 bit machine.

MB, OPteron processors (which one), memory, drives, case??

Price not a real consideration.

Thanks

John

Ztreem
05-21-2005, 09:59 AM
I think Tyan do some amazing motherboards, I don't own one myself but I hope I can afford a quad motherboard one day. :D

Tyan Computer Corporation (http://www.tyan.com/index.html)

Lightwolf
05-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Well, if price is not a consideration...
Get an nForce4 Opteron board, make sure you have plenty of memory slots per processor and if you like the fancy stuff two 16 lane PCIe slots. Also make sure you populate some of the memory slots on every processor so that you can benefit from the embedded memory controllers.
You might as well get the fastest Opterons you can afford and if you wait a bit go for the dual Core ones...
GFX board should imho be nVidia, if you just want a fast LW machine there isn't much of a point to go for a Quadro though... at least not at the moment.

Naming specific parts won't help much, since I'm across the pond. Tyan is a very good choice for motherboards though (as Ztreem mentioned).

Cheers,
Mike

zapper1998
05-21-2005, 04:59 PM
waiting for some good DUAL AMD MB's to come out, I will wait till next year, the price will be less and they will have most of the bugs worked out..

Lightwolf
05-21-2005, 05:31 PM
waiting for some good DUAL AMD MB's to come out, I will wait till next year, the price will be less and they will have most of the bugs worked out..
Then again, this has been true for the past ... erm ... well at least since I started dabbling with computers 16 years ago ;)
BTW, what's wrong with nForcePros?
Cheers,
Mike

byte_fx
05-22-2005, 08:51 AM
Tyan K8WE (http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html)

This is the mb AMD is using in their dual core, dual cpu Opteron 275 demo boxes they send out to reviewers.

Also compatible with single core 200 series

byte_fx

Captain Obvious
05-22-2005, 09:07 AM
While I've never built an Opteron system myself, I've heard nothing but praise for Tyan's motherboards. A quad Opteron = yum, by the way.

John Melvin
05-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Will LW take advantage of a Quad OPteron??

Thanks

John

Captain Obvious
05-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Yep. Just make sure to set the number of threads to eight in the render settings.

Err... At least I think it does. It's basically up to Windows. I remember reading somewhere that XP Pro supports only up to two processors, and thusly not four, but I'm having a hard time confirming whether or not this is true.

Lightwolf
05-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Err... At least I think it does. It's basically up to Windows. I remember reading somewhere that XP Pro supports only up to two processors, and thusly not four, but I'm having a hard time confirming whether or not this is true.
You'll need Server 2003 for 4 processor. Or 4 dual core processors (->8 cores) that is. The latter would be where those 8 threads supplied by LW wouldn't cut it anymore.
How about dynamic threading for LightWave renders?! :D

Cheers,
Mike

Captain Obvious
05-22-2005, 05:02 PM
So Windows XP Pro cannot use more than two actual processors? I assume this means it can't really use two dual-core processors, since that is essentially the same thing as four completely separate processors.

What about HyperThreading and SMP?

Lightwolf
05-23-2005, 03:41 AM
So Windows XP Pro cannot use more than two actual processors? I assume this means it can't really use two dual-core processors, since that is essentially the same thing as four completely separate processors.

What about HyperThreading and SMP?
Well, one dual core processor is still one processor, and this is how the XP license sees it as well.
Or, to put it this way: XP can only use a max of two processor sockets ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Captain Obvious
05-23-2005, 04:07 AM
That is somewhat peculiar, if you ask me. But oh well, that's good.

Lightwolf
05-23-2005, 04:10 AM
That is somewhat peculiar, if you ask me. But oh well, that's good.
Well, if I remember correclty, just about all vendors decided to treat a dual core as one CPU at leats as far as licensing is concerned, which is a fair deal.
That would also mean that you can run XP Home on a single dual core :)

Cheers,
Mike

JML
05-23-2005, 07:01 AM
in xp right now , because of multithreading if you have 1 cpu , you have 2 performance graph, if you have 2 cpu, you have 4 performance graph..
so maybe for dual core, it will be 1 graph for each core.. , so the same amount
of graphs..
so it will show the performance of each core on 1 cpu.

mattclary
05-23-2005, 07:16 AM
because of multithreading if you have 1 cpu , you have 2 performance graph

You mean Hyperthreading, right?

JML
05-23-2005, 10:37 AM
yes, sorry
it was early the morning..