PDA

View Full Version : Video card issues

valsaint
05-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Hello to every one. I am using lightwave 3d 7.0 on an elsa dcc video card but can't seem to get lightwave to work well. When i launch lightwave it freezes/ crashes the computer or when i try to load a scene it freezes. When hardware excelleration is disable lightwave works well, well kinda, but slow. The thing is i had it all working well until i reinstalled winxp, software, drivers and all. I am currently using driver version 6.7.2.2. Please any help would be great. Thanks

fgreen
05-23-2005, 07:35 AM
I don't have the same card, but a general troubleshooting technique is to limit as many variables as possible. You could try to disable sound, firewire (everything that is non-system-critical) in the device manager, except the video card to see if there may be a conflict with another device. Also, perhaps the driver you were previously using was not the same as you are using currently. If so maybe you could try the earlier driver. Also somethimes the latest drivers also require a firmware upgrade, so check if there is a firmware update available for the card.

valsaint
05-23-2005, 11:59 AM
I have narrowed down the issue to opengl textures. When i have opengl textures activated in lightwave 3d 7.5 the computer stalls, but when opengl textures are not activated lightwave works well. In fact, any opengl software i run will stall. Any help will be great. Thanks all.

mattclary
05-23-2005, 01:19 PM
It's pretty much your drivers. If you have the newest, find older ones.

valsaint
05-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Could it be that my video card memory be "hosed" or bad? If so, what are some other tell tale signs?

mattclary
05-24-2005, 05:21 AM
If it was bad hardware, I doubt it would be limited to OpenGL issues. You would probably have "trash" all over your screen or it would just remain black.

valsaint
05-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Thank you Mr. Mattclary for your time and help, you sure know your stuff when it comes to computers. I got the card to work. Finally. I took the video card out and cleaned the connectors with a cotton ball lightly soaked with alcohol, reinserted it nice and snug and it worked!! Again thank you.

mattclary
05-24-2005, 12:09 PM
LOL! :)

Well, I'm glad it's working for you, but an ill-seated card would be classified as a hardware issue. I would have expected worse problems than hangs with OpenGL. ;)