PDA

View Full Version : Xp x64 bit compatibility

cvrak
05-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Hi,

Does anyone knows if the LW 7,5 and 8 are compatible with Windows Xp pro x64bit ?

Thanks

Arquero
05-21-2005, 12:11 AM
I second that notion. Would it be a software issue or just a driver issue. As far as I can see, it would be just the sentinel drivers. It is a shame they don't have 64-bit support yet (though they are most likely testing beta versions as other dongle key manufacturers have beta WinXP-64 drivers).

Here is a link to a press release (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/04-25-05a.html) showing off NewTek's big 64-bit accomplishment that I hope we can all enjoy very soon. I hope that answers your question somewhat. It looks like there is hope for Lightwave and WinXP64 compatability. What is really holding me back now is this dang dongle for our CNC machine software... They have a beta version for this dongle... We'll see...

Arquero

Verlon
05-21-2005, 05:55 PM
I loaded XP64 RC1 earlier this year. LW ran in discovery edition mode because.....

Sentinel drivers are not available for XP for 64 bit computers (the AMD 64 not the Itanium version).

I have hasked safenet-inc several times and have gotten no definitive answer on when there will be drivers. They DO say there is a beta driver and they will not provide it if you simply ask for it. Perhaps if you have some better credentials than mine....

So, Lightwave SEEMS to work, but your dongle will not and that is a problem.....

Arquero
05-23-2005, 11:19 AM
-Verlon-

Did you have to us WOW (Windows on Windows64) to get LW to work, or was it automatic? Microsoft does provide a way to emulate 32-bit code on a 64-bit OS. I was just wondering if that is how you had to do it. Also what version? 7.5 or 8? Thanks for your input!

Arquero

mattclary
05-23-2005, 01:20 PM
-Verlon-

Did you have to us WOW (Windows on Windows64) to get LW to work, or was it automatic? Microsoft does provide a way to emulate 32-bit code on a 64-bit OS. I was just wondering if that is how you had to do it. Also what version? 7.5 or 8? Thanks for your input!

Arquero

it should be automatic for any 32bit program.

Verlon
05-23-2005, 02:40 PM
I was able to simply double-click the icon and the program would start. It required no special setup or anything.

Except for the dongle not being detected, everything seemed fine. Of coure, when Lightwave doesn't see the dongle, there are serious limitations including a few plugins that do not work. Between this and my own frustration, I would certainly not claim to have performed any rigorous testing.

Lightwave and modeler would both start up. I could perform a few basic functions, but that was as far as I got.

Verlon
05-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Oh, in case it is important, I am using a parallel port dongle, not one of the new USB ones.

The driver download from safenet is the same, so I *doubt* it makes a difference, but thought I should mention it.