PDA

View Full Version : UV mapping with Unfold3D tutorial

toonafish
05-19-2005, 04:06 PM
I created a small tutorial on how to use Unfold3D with Lightwave:

http://www.toonafish.nl/tutorials/unfold_tutorial/unfold.htm

spec24
05-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Do they offer a direct download if you purchase it online???

CB_3D
05-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Yep,they do so through Paypal.

spec24
05-19-2005, 06:28 PM
I paid. No link - do they send it to me via email? I hope they're not asleep over there. Ooops - they probably are :( I could really use it now as I'm about to lose it with these UV maps. :)

toonafish
05-19-2005, 06:49 PM
after they received a paypal confirmation you have to do the online registration again, and this time you'll get a serial and an activation key. Took less then an hour after I registered and payed.

WilliamVaughan
05-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Most impressive Fish....Thank you soo much for the killer tutorial. If this doesnt help sell people on it I don't know what will!

Dodgy
05-20-2005, 03:59 AM
Toonafish, what did you mean LW doesn't support multi-uv sets? It works just fine with any number of UV sets...

MooseDog
05-20-2005, 04:18 AM
maybe it's just me, but two different uv maps in the same surface channel tends to freak out lw. but yes several different uv's is very possible. typically i create an atlas to bake stuff to and then a regular map for painting.

toonafish
05-20-2005, 05:36 AM
Toonafish, what did you mean LW doesn't support multi-uv sets? It works just fine with any number of UV sets...

It's a bit confusing, but I thought it was called like that. Maybe there's another name for it ?

But what I meant was that you use one UVmap but can define if it uses the 0-1 space, or the 1-2 space as you can do with Maya.

spec24
05-20-2005, 06:14 AM
Just wanted to say that they were very nice and very prompt. Haven't started using it yet but look forward to it.

Toonafish - is that the "Freelance" version that you're using???

Karmacop
05-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Umm .. maya using a uv range outside of 0-1 is just weird and I'd say non standard. If you want more objects to fint into a single uv map then scale it all down so it fits between 0-1. Outside of that range is meant for repeating ...

toonafish
05-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Umm .. maya using a uv range outside of 0-1 is just weird and I'd say non standard. If you want more objects to fint into a single uv map then scale it all down so it fits between 0-1. Outside of that range is meant for repeating ...

Not quite, this is a very handy feature I think. I used it once to cut up an object in Zbrush and get multiple displacements on a character so I could get more detail then Zbrush could handle on the complete character. I heard they did the same with LOTR so could split up the displacement maps into smaller pieces.

WilliamVaughan
05-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Here is a quick test I did in Unfold that I'm not quite sure how I would do it with out it.

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=74136&posted=1#post74136

spec24
05-20-2005, 07:39 PM
so once you have created the UV's how do you get them back into the part? When I reloaded the OBJ file back into LW I got the flattened part.

ooops - never mind - I was saving the mesh the wrong way.

Karmacop
05-21-2005, 04:43 AM
Not quite, this is a very handy feature I think. I used it once to cut up an object in Zbrush and get multiple displacements on a character so I could get more detail then Zbrush could handle on the complete character. I heard they did the same with LOTR so could split up the displacement maps into smaller pieces.

Can you give an example of this? I'm not really following, and a tutorial or some screenshots might help. If you want to split up a uv map you make multiple uv maps, and if you want them together you shrink them down to be in the 0-1 range. What you're explaining is just confusing me :o

toonafish
05-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Check out this tutorial from Tony Jung, he explains how he uses Multi_UV's in Messiah:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=200732&highlight=Making+Lord+Darkness

Karmacop
05-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Ahh ok, I get it now. It's basically using a uv maps ability to repeat every 0-1 range to have several uv maps in one. Very tricky. :)

duke
05-23-2005, 12:39 AM
Is it possible to convert an EXISTING non-subD UVmap to a subD one?

Karmacop
05-23-2005, 12:58 AM
Just go into the vmap window and change the interpolation there.

CB_3D
06-02-2005, 02:33 AM
Just wanted to add something to the nice Toonafish tutorial.

How to get perfect symmetrical UVs.

1. Do everything as lined out in Toonafishs tut, until You have the UVs generated in unfold3D.

2. Save the flattened mesh as 3D.

3. Load it into Modeler, and center and rotate it to the Y axis.

4. Delete one half,align the borderpoints to Y and mirror.

5. Put it in a background layer of the original.

6. Run the plugin "Mesh Reknitter" on both. www.flay.com

7. backgroundmorph the original into the flattened one. Also You can smooth the UV-morph brutally without affecting the base model. better than any relax.

8. Now UV it in Modeler as a planar projection on the flattened morph!

Voila, perfect UV