PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Discovery Edition

SooperFlye
05-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey Folks,
I got the discovery edition (v8) of LightWave and I was wondering about the "Extend Plus" function. I'm teaching myself Lightwave and I was trying to use "Extend Plus", is it disabled in the Discovery Edition? :(

Silkrooster
05-19-2005, 10:23 PM
You should find a pdf version of the manual, with the software. Or atleast I am assuming this. Anyways, when you use extender plus, you will not see any thing happen until you move the new geometry. So what is happening is, you select some polys, press the e key or extender plus on the menu. The new geometry is created, but is still inline with the old geometry, so you don't see anything happening. Now you can use the move tool and move the new geometry away from the old so you can see it. The idea here is that by pressing the e key, you can keep on using the tool you have selected.

Try this, create a cube, select one poly, press the t key for the move tool, try moving that poly, now press the e key and try moving that poly again. As you can see you did not need to unselect any polys and you did not loose the move tool, it is still active. Very cool and very useful tool the extender plus is.
Hope this helps,
Silk

gjjackson
05-20-2005, 05:49 AM
I did not realize that. I was just thinking about something that would do that. I'll certainly have to give it a try. From what it sounds like maybe it should have a different name.

SooperFlye
05-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Thanx Silkrooster,
I did get the desired effect, but I guess it takes a little practice. Must you use the "move" tool in order to activate extender plus?

SooperFlye

Lynx3d
05-21-2005, 04:34 PM
You don't have to use the move tool, although that's pretty much the typical workflow (for me at least), but sometimes you may want to use the rotate, scale or any other tool to manipulate the selected geometry.
Basicaly extender plus just modifies the geometry in such a way that when you move the selected geometry the (old) unselected one is not changed but connected to your selection. You just don't see the new polygons until you modify your selection :)

Silkrooster
05-21-2005, 09:48 PM
No other tool is needed to "activate" extender plus. The move tool was used as an example, because you can see the effect immediately. Extender plus adds new geometry in the same location as the old. When they overlap, you can not see where anything has happened. So any tool that moves the new geometry will let you see that you are working with the new geomety. Mind you that Move, drag, rotate, twist, etc. All move the geometry, just in different ways. Anyways, I better stop there, or it could get confusing.
Look for the manual, even if it is on pdf. This explains all the tools that create new geometry and moves them. Ver. 8 of the manual is a great resource.
For more resources, check out this thread on my forum. http://www.silkrooster.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19 This points you to various web sites, books, tutorials, etc.
Anybody else reading this thread, you are more than welcome to add to that list, as long as you register for free.
Silk

mykyl
05-28-2005, 06:44 AM
SO where do you get this discovery edition. I have looked everywhere for it but never found it anywhere.

I decided on purchasing Lightwave this week from what I saw in the v7 version.

Cheers

Mike R

LSlugger
05-28-2005, 08:54 AM
In a pinch, you can install the 7.5d patch by itself (on Windows, at least), but it won't include any of the content.

mykyl
05-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Cheers for that. Probably just wait till my order arrives. I have certainly pressed just about every button in v7DE although from what I hear v8 has changed a bit so finding where things are at the moment wont help me too much. ;)

Cheers

Mike R

Silkrooster
05-28-2005, 11:47 PM
When you do get ver 8, look in the LW directory, there should be a documents folder. In that folder are pdfs showing the shortcut keys for modeler, layout and Graph editor, plus a trifold, showing all three programs. Print these how and it will make remembering the shortcuts that much easier.
Silk