PDA

View Full Version : how to expand for more then 8 inputs?

nebor
04-25-2003, 06:53 AM
i'm looking for smart way to connect more then 8 component cams for live switching. of course, it is possible to connect external switcher like sony dfs into sx8 input or connect two vt2 stations with sx8 to external switcher but i hope that a little bit more intelligent way exists.

is it possible to install two VT cards in one system? ...oops

jcupp
04-25-2003, 04:03 PM
You really need more than 8 cameras live? Wow. AFAIk there is no way to run more than 8 Component inputs, you may have to use some composite inputs for that.

Jim Capillo
04-27-2003, 04:04 AM
rent (or buy) a grass switcher :eek:

If you need to do that on a regular basis, you should've considered that before buying the Toaster.

Paul Lara
04-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by nebor
i'm looking for smart way to connect more than 8 component cams for live switching.

Since VT captures and switches in uncompressed quality, even composite is very nice looking (though not suggested for keying).

Surely all your component cams can't be 'primary' sources. I'd hook your secondary cams up as composite.

Of course, getting a second VT system would still be much cheaper than purchasing a 16-input component switcher.

How many component inputs do you have, anyway??

weaponsInspecto
04-28-2003, 05:12 PM
We sold a VT[2] to the California Lottery. I saw the engineer take a pair of wire cutters and just cut all the component cables to the GVG switcher and yank it out of the system. Never to be used again, he said. Replaced the entire production with the VT[2]. I can ask if he wants to sell it, but I'm with Paul. Two VT systems are a better bet.

nebor
04-29-2003, 03:42 AM
ok. as far as i understood there is no way to expand VT "internaly".

thanks for your attention.

Paul Lara
04-29-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by nebor
ok. as far as i understood there is no way to expand VT "internaly".

Not if they must be component.

vip3dran
04-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by weaponsInspecto
We sold a VT[2] to the California Lottery. I saw the engineer take a pair of wire cutters and just cut all the component cables to the GVG switcher and yank it out of the system.

That must be SOME engineer! Wire cutters?! sheesh

weaponsInspecto
04-29-2003, 09:53 AM
It was a sight to see. I think he cut those cables as a symbol of the end of the big complicated studio configuration and the beginning of the new modern era. Think about how much easier his job became? If you have ever been charged with timing and maintaining a GVG based studio you know it's a never ending task. I guess the guy had no fear of job security because he certainly had no qualms about letting go of the old paradyme.

We have photos of the install somewhere. I'll get them published on our web site this week.