PDA

View Full Version : Stereocopic render

Olivier_m
04-25-2003, 05:58 AM
Hello.

I need to do stereoscopic renders for 3D shutter glasses (odd field left eye, even field right eye).
I can render each eye with 2 camera parented to a null object then compose this in AfterEffect but it's not really simple.
Is there any other sollution ?
Is there anypluggin for this (like the Anaglyph Stereo in Image Filter using red eye/green eye method)?

Thanks !

VWTornado
04-25-2003, 09:05 AM
what exactly is stereoscopic rendering and what is it used for? and could a "normal" home artist do anything with it? :)

thanks

Sensei
04-26-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by VWTornado
what exactly is stereoscopic rendering and what is it used for? and could a "normal" home artist do anything with it? :)

thanks

Check this for example:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9136/gallery3.htm

Sensei
04-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Here you can see apple generated with stereo rendering (using the method described by Olivier) and composed in Photoshop. It uses interlace.

Arnie Cachelin
04-27-2003, 01:11 PM
You can render interlaced stereo frames using an ancient tirck from before LW had a stereo camera. Parent the camera to a NUL, and animate it moving from the left eye position at frame 0 to right eye at frame 2. Make the animation repeat, then render only the non-keyed frames (i.e. 1,3,5...). If you use field rendering, the frame 1 render will have one field from a left position, and one from a right position. these 'eyes' will be closer than your keyed positions, so some tweaking is in order. It may be better to just render the standard stereo method, and interlace the frames afterwards. You can render at half vertical res, to avoid discarding half the pixels you rendered when you interlace the frames, assuming that AE or whatever will interlace like that.
I thought there was a "field stereo" plugin.. maybe in 7.5b, but it has the drawback of throwing away those rendered pixels again. better never to even render them.

Olivier_m
04-28-2003, 03:34 AM
Thanks a lot for your advices. It will be very helpful.

VWTornado
04-28-2003, 08:26 AM
so do you need the red and blue glasses to get this stereoscopic rendering to look right? if so where can i get a pair? :) also, i hate to say it but the concept is still confusing...will stereoscopic rendering give me a 3D looking animation that looks like its coming at me or what? if thats the case than i GOTTA TRY IT!! :D

Olivier_m
04-28-2003, 09:12 AM
Red/Blue method don't need special screen to be displayed.
So if you make glasses by yourself using bleu transparent paper and red transprent paper and render a picture or a movie with "Anaglyph Stereo Simulate" image filter plug.
You'll be abble to watch your stereoscopic render on your own computer.

The other method is better but you would need to buy things.
The glasses are made with liquid crystal. The glasses are synchronized to the screen in other to make your left eye blind while the odd field is displayed, then make your right eye blind while the even field are displayed.

dwburman
04-28-2003, 09:08 PM
Oliver,
It sounds like you have 2 cameras parented a Null and are rendering the scene twice. If that's the case you can eliminate a step or two by using LW's stereo camera. I think it's in the camera setting panels (with or near depth of field). When you use the stereo camera you render once and LW saves two images. I've heard you should target a Null to set the focal distance. It's been a while since I've read the article :)

VWTornado,
Yes, stereoscopic is the 3D like in 3D movies where you wear glasses and perceive depth. Do a search on 3D glasses. More specifically, search for anaglyph or anaglyphic. (Anaglyphs use the Red/Blue glasses) There are some places/people that'll send you a pair of glasses (or three) for a couple bucks or simply the cost of shipping.

Or you can just go here: http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/freestuff.html

VWTornado
04-29-2003, 08:45 AM
Are the blue and red a specific color, or could I go to Michael's or some other art supply store and just get red and blue transparent plastic film and make the glasses myself? :)