PDA

View Full Version : 2 new demos- splineguide and bridge tool

WilliamVaughan
05-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Today I'm going to tag team with Marcus Carra on LightWave Demos.

Marcus has created a cool tip for using the Bridge tool. Check out this quick way to make a ring.

Bridge Ring (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/bridgering.mov)

Size 2.8 meg
Length:46 seconds

Take your 3D text to the next level by spicing it up with the splineguide tool.
Text with Spline Guide (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/textsplineguide.mov)

Red_Oddity
05-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Cool, you learn something new everyday...I never even touched the splinetool...That would have saved me some work in the past...

thanx

danilo
05-17-2005, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=proton]Today I'm going to tag team with Marcus Carra on LightWave Demos.

Marcus has created a cool tip for using the Bridge tool. Check out this quick way to make a ring.

Are you serious?
d

Silkrooster
05-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Excellent tutorials. I keep forgetting about the splineguide.
Silk

WilliamVaughan
05-17-2005, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=proton]Today I'm going to tag team with Marcus Carra on LightWave Demos.

Are you serious?
d

:confused:

retinajoy
05-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Lovely! The splineguide tool is cool and useful. :cool:

Thanks for the excellent tutorial.

lesterfoster
05-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Before this demo about the splineguid tool, I thought that the splineguide tool was useless. But now, I think that the splineguide tool is one of the most powerful tools in the Newtek tool box

Thank’s proton for a good demo video about the splineguide tool

riki
05-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Great Use for the SplineGuide. Many thanks.

WilliamVaughan
05-17-2005, 09:19 PM
I used to do all my text manipulation in Flash or Illustrator....but now I have fallen in love with this tool and my text will never be the same :)

Be sure to play with the options....please post what you come up with....maybe you can show a cool use with it that we havent seen.

policarpo
05-17-2005, 09:22 PM
That would be fun to animate with. :)

monovich
05-17-2005, 09:52 PM
two more tools I've never used. very cool. I like the spline guide a lot, and the bridge tool was one of those slap your forehead tools.

thanks.

-s

Fizzer
05-18-2005, 01:03 AM
Have used the Bridge Tool a lot of late - but not in this way. Nice.

Spline Guide text - I have used separate software for text manipulation. Not now, spline guide text here I come.

pauland
05-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Thanks Proton and marcus.

One of the scary things about lightwave is how much you don't know you can do..

Exper
05-18-2005, 02:09 AM
Good stuff proton!

One of the scary things about lightwave is how much you don't know you can do..Just guessing the reason why! :rolleyes:

colkai
05-18-2005, 02:12 AM
There is nothing like a user deciding to use a tool in a way it was never designed to! :D
There are so many awesome tricks with Lightwave - keep 'em coming guys.

Gui Lo
05-19-2005, 06:35 AM
I used Splineguide today based off of Protons demo.

It was a simple rope bridge which isn't so symetrical.

I just wonder how many other tools I've overlooked or didn't really know about.

LW gets better with every demo.

Gui Lo

RonGC
05-19-2005, 01:34 PM
One of the things thats cool about this use of the bridge tool, is that it works with any polygon shape. I built a rosette shaped Ngon, then used this tip to build a window frame, saved a lot of time. The fact that Lightwave toolset can be used in ways never intended shows the true power and depth of the program.

Keep them coming Proton
Ron ;)

Demon
11-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Hi to all,

the short tut on the bridge tool was not made to show how to make a ring in the common sense. u can make a ring in many different ways, i am aware of that :twak: . But RonGC understood to overtake that technique i showed to build other stuff like that window frame. so i guess the short introduction to make a lousy ring with the bridge tool pushed others to use it differently and make experiments with the bridge tool. There are so many things in the LW universe to discover. u just need to look over the edge.

cheers

BazC
11-03-2005, 02:02 AM
Spline guide looks very powerful, thanks Proton! I'm very new to LW so I'm only just scratching the surface of it's toolset. Is it possible to create a spline from the points of an existing surface? That would open up all kinds of possibilities for conforming one object to another, cables or conduits over the surface of a spaceship for instance! - Baz

bluerider
11-03-2005, 02:12 AM
Thanks Proton,
I have hardly ever used the spline tool, I'll amend that situation though after seeing your example.

Neat trick concerning the bridge tool.

Great way to start the morning for me

Scott_Blinn
11-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Spline guide looks very powerful, thanks Proton! I'm very new to LW so I'm only just scratching the surface of it's toolset. Is it possible to create a spline from the points of an existing surface? That would open up all kinds of possibilities for conforming one object to another, cables or conduits over the surface of a spaceship for instance! - Baz

One way to do that would be to select some points on the object, copy them into another layer, select the points in order, and hit CTRL+P to create an open spline.

btw, speaking of cables, have you tried RopeEdit Plus. I just got it and love that thing. :-) http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/profiles/NormJohnson/index.php

BazC
11-04-2005, 02:39 AM
One way to do that would be to select some points on the object, copy them into another layer, select the points in order, and hit CTRL+P to create an open spline.

btw, speaking of cables, have you tried RopeEdit Plus. I just got it and love that thing. :-) http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/profiles/NormJohnson/index.php

Thanks for the info Scott! Rope editor looks amazing! Unfortunately it doesn't look as though it's available for Mac :(

colkai
11-04-2005, 02:40 AM
It is, without doubt, the dogs danglies! :D
I find myself thinking of ways to put pipes etc.. in a model just to use it. ;)

Scott_Blinn
11-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the info Scott! Rope editor looks amazing! Unfortunately it doesn't look as though it's available for Mac :(

Ya, that does suck. My laptop is a powerbook and when I model on the road that fact keeps popping up. :-/

BazC
11-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Yeah well maybe they'll port it to OSX. I hope so, it's very reasonably priced too!

Karmacop
11-05-2005, 11:04 PM
The last time I emailed Norm (the rope editor developer), he was working on a Mac port, but he gave no indication of when it'd be released.

BazC
11-06-2005, 01:08 AM
The last time I emailed Norm (the rope editor developer), he was working on a Mac port, but he gave no indication of when it'd be released.

Thanks for the info! Nice to know he's willing, let's hope it won't be long!