PDA

View Full Version : A quickie about priorities

Flat
04-25-2003, 05:51 AM
Maybe I should send this request to Microsoft but I've this weird feeling I'll get more ears around here... :D

Okay, an easy one :
Since upgrading to XP I've noticed a slightly disturbing behaviour from LW : as it grabs all the cpu it can get the machine stalls and does almost nothing but render (2000 did that too, but to a much lesser extent).
The easy cure for this is to lower the priority of LW, but when rendering the task manager itself has trouble coming up. :(

I think it would be nice if LW "niced" itself to a lower priority, like only when a render is going on.

Phil, running LW in low priority all the time.

Mylenium
04-25-2003, 06:02 AM
even then this may not work. XP has another method of handling thread priority and thus will always try to maximize power for apps. You can change this behaviour in your system settings. It's a bit odd, but typical MS.

Mylenium

Flat
04-25-2003, 06:24 AM
Ah yes, but this setting is for adjusting priorities between apps and services. It isn't directly connected to priorities in between apps.

Anyway, apps can lower their own priorities when running, takes about a line of code, that's why I said it was an easy one.
Even if it's only a minor annoyance actually. :rolleyes: