PDA

View Full Version : LW 3d books - looking for advice

gordonrobb
05-17-2005, 05:06 AM
I am about to purchase some books for LW. I want to be able to model, texture, animate and light a lot better.

This http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=34586&page=1&pp=15 is where I am at, at the moment. I tend to figure things out.

I am looking for anyone that has experience of any of the following books. Preferabley if you have a few and can compare them. I can get 3 or 4 if needed.

What do you think.

Esential LW 3D 8 - Timothy Albee
Inside LW 3D 8 - Dan Ablan
LW 3D 8 revealed - Kelly Murdoch
LW 3D 8 1001 killer tips - Im Albee
LW X killer tips - Dan Ablan
LW 3D 8 texturing - Leigh Van Der Byl
LW 3D 8 Character animationi - Timothy Albee
LW 3D 8 Lighting - Nicholas Binham?
LW 3D 8 Cartoon character creation Vol1 and 2 - Johnny Gorden
LW 3D 8 Modeling - Steve Warner
LW 3D 8 Applied - Jennifer Hadigan?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

thanks

-NG-
05-17-2005, 05:39 AM
It's nicholas boughen i think. Well i have of them but haven't yet read them, i do know that i heard good words from all of them. :)

retinajoy
05-17-2005, 06:02 AM
The essential books imho when starting out are:

LW 3D 8 texturing - Leigh Van Der Byl
[digital] Texturing & Painting (not LW specific but great for learning texturing)
LW 3D 8 Lighting - Nicholas Boughen

I have heard good stuff about Esential LW 3D 8 - Timothy Albee, but don't own it myself.

LW 3D 8 1001 killer tips is a useful reference too.

Lukesutherland
05-17-2005, 06:27 AM
I bought Inside LW 6 and found it soo much more helpful than the manual, I am sure Inside lw 8 is even better.

I recently bought 1001 tips and tricks, lots of good tips here thats for sure, I have only had it a week and so far I consider it a really good purchase.

noyce
05-17-2005, 08:08 AM
I've spent LOADS on books over the last year or so. However, i have to say that personally i got a lot more out of watching some of the training DVD's i've purchased. The character animation series featuring Todd Grimes is FANTASTIC. As far as books are concerned, you can't go wrong with anything by the mighty Dan Ablan, and i thoroughly enjoyed the cartoon character creation books by Jonny Gordon.

jcarey
05-17-2005, 10:13 AM
I have the LW 3D 8 revealed - Kelly Murdoch book. I think its great if you're just starting out with Lightwave and need something to help you get the basics down. If you're past the beginner stage it probably won't be much help to you.

I got a copy of Inside Lightwave 7 by Dan Ablan from a friend and it looks like a very good book. Being a MUCH larger book than the LW Revealed book it is able to go much more in depth on topics. I'll probably pick up the LW8 version of Inside Lightwave as my next book.

lede
05-17-2005, 10:58 AM
I can tell you that the Inside LW 8 book is good for Beginner to Intermediate. He has some good tutorials for variouse artists that help get you started. Dan completely rewrote the ISLW8 book and so has loads of new materials.

The 1001 tips and tricks book is a good refrence book that is filled to the brim with quick tips.

If your really wanting to get into animating charactures the Timathoy Albee book is great for this. He has some really indepth explanations on how to rig a characture and some REALLY good theory behind rigging. Sorry only gotten half way through this book but it is really FUN to read.

The Texturing book by Leigh Van Der Byl is just a mountian of reference. She goes through just about every button in the texture editor and gives some indepth explanation about each one. She also goes into deep theory in texturing so its kind of a book for Intermediat to Advanced texture artists. She also provides some great advice about texturing and what to look for in the real world.

The Lighting book you have listed is supposed to be good. I've just read the first chapter or so and found it a good read to start out with. Another one I've used a lot for reference is Jeremy Brin "Digital Lighting & Rendering". Its not an app specific book so its really good reference.

Now that I have covered the books here is a good place to start looking for other good information on just about every aspect of LW you can think of:

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

With the list of thing you would like to do there is a load of material to cover. Take your time and master every aspect you can. In the end you might find that your really good at one over the other. Thats fine, take that area and become the best you can and study every aspect.

otacon
05-17-2005, 11:06 AM
I have the LW 7.5 Lighting by Nick Boughen and the LW 8 Texturing by Leigh. I read through half of the lighting one, and browsed through the texturing one. Personally i already knew a lot of the stuff in the books, you pick a lot of it up on the forums everyday, but they are good to have if you forget how to do something and need a quick look. I didnt buy them, i won them so its not a big loss for me that i didnt read through them.

Paul_Boland
05-17-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm still a newbie to Lightwave and still learning the package from scratch, so perhaps I'm not the best to give you advice, but here it is anyway ;). LOL!!

This was the first book I got and its a great read. I've learned form it too. Definately a good one if like me, you are totally new to the software.

LW 3D 8 Character animationi - Timothy Albee
I have this book on order from Amazon.com but they have lost my payment so my order isn't being processed yet :( :rolleyes: !! Hope to get it sorted and get the book soon. But I've seen Timothys work elsewhere and to me, he comes across as one of the top guys in Lightwave so hopefully this book will be something really special.

LW 3D 8 Cartoon character creation Vol1 and 2 - Johnny Gorden
I have these and haven't started to read them yet, but from what I've seen in them, they look really great and once I have a good grasp of Lightwave, I'm looking forward to getting into these.

FranK10
05-18-2005, 08:50 AM
I bought Inside LW 8 and it is good if you are not familiar with the workflow of LW. A bit general in some aspects but it is normal. You can't have all aspects of LW in one book. Good also the CD included, with some interesting videos.

I have also bought LW8 Texturing and LW8 Lighting: I think they are wonderful and also connected to each other. If you want to work well with textures, you need to know well the lighting stage. I appreciate a lot the approach of both in trying to make the user understand the principles and to think about the process you must do. This way you don't learn only a tutorial on some topics, but you get the correct approach to every problem you must solve.

I advice you also LW8 1001 tips & tricks: there are a lot of different artists who teach excellent tips in every section of the software!

gordonrobb
05-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the wonderful information folks. :o