PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help...

hbsometh
05-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Hi there...

I'm never sure exactly WHICH category to put this post in. Anyway, here's the deal. I'm new to Lightwave 3D. I am involved in an animation project for network television. We have recently decided to switch to 3D from 2D (from Flash to Lightwave). I need to get up to speed quickly.

I have been watching web tutorials and such, but what I really REALLY need is to find some other Lightwave users that I could possibly even 'shadow' for a while to get an idea of the typical flow. I guess I'd like to find a 'mentor' to help me get up to speed. Any words of advice? Suggestions? Volunteers?? ;) Would appreciate any words.

THANKS in advance!

toby
05-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Wow, no responses for 2 days? We must be slipping fellas.

Hi Barry, welcome to Lightwave! It can be a real blast. And this forum is great, believe me, despite the chilly reception you got! I guess none of us have time to be a mentor, feel free to ask your questions here, but you really should take a few evenings and read through the manual - there are lots of cool things in there anyway (skip the complicated stuff you won't use like expressions and character rigging). This will help tremendously in knowing how things are done in LW - but if you still need help - (and you will!) just come here.

What kind of things will you be doing, flying logo stuff?

hbsometh
05-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the response.

We're working on an animated TV series in the vein of Family Guy/South Park, but with the style of say, a Jimmy Neutron. We'll be using cell-shading to give the characters a 2D look.

I have hooked up with Larry Shultz (SplineGod) in another forum and he has been a TREMENDOUS help!! With people like him out there, it gives you faith back in human nature!

I appreciate any comments or suggestions that anyone has for speeding up workflow and the modeling process. I've just begun with characters, and I guess my next mission will be to start working on background/props/etc. That should be interesting. I haven't really found alot of tutorials on setting up and populating scenes. Any advice???

Thanks again!!! :D

toby
05-19-2005, 02:16 AM
And staying up late already I see!

A fully animated 3d TV show is really ambitious! I guess you will need to learn about character rigging. Too bad you're in Boston, sounds like a great project. I can't give you nearly as much technical help on character modeling and rigging as Mr. Shultz can. He knows more LW tricks than anyone I know of.

Populating scenes doesn't really need a tutorial, you'll do fine. Lighting tutorials is what you may need.

Ge4-ce
05-20-2005, 04:27 AM
Question...

You don't have any experience in 3D, just Flash. And you want to make a 3D show la Jimmy Neutron?

Since you said that you are involved in an animationproject for networktelevision, have you made any commitments to that TVnetwork?

I mean like did you thought by yourself: "Hey, how hard can it be, I'll take the job and only thing I have to do is learn LW in a couple of weeks and everything will be ok?" ??

I sure hope not for you! LW is totally different than Flash or every other app I know off.

Take for example Photoshop. If you get a course in Photoshop, you will be able to make very good use of the app in about a month. If you are a genious, maybe in 2 weeks. The app is not that difficult.

if you are totally new to 3D and LW:

I've been busy with 3D for 6 years now. And at this point, I'm able to make my own 3D movies in LW. Granted, my first 3 years weren't that intensive, and I figured stuff out by my own at that point. Only the last 3 years, I follow intense course and stages at animationcompany's.

LW is a hard nut to crack. It's one app that consists of 1000+ other apps. (plugins) And if you want to make a Jimmy Neutron movie style.. you'll have to not only learn, but also have to be "GOOD" in at least the following things:

- Moddeling
- Surfacing
- Character rigging
- Animating
- Lighting
- SFX (hypervoxels, particles,...
- Dynamics (cloth, collisions, ...)
- rendering
- compositing

It's not that I want to scare the living 'SH*T' out of you, but Toby called it really Ambitious. I call it nuts :-) (no offense here dude! )

Bottomline,.. really, don't expect to become a LW genious in a month.

Ge4-ce

Ge4-ce
05-20-2005, 04:31 AM
I just reread my own post above...

Really, the first part,.. Don't take it personal.. It's not that I underestimate your skills or something! I wish you all the luck! And If you have any questions I can answer, I'll help you via this forum.;

Ge4-ce

munky
05-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi There,

how about going here,

http://www.celshader.com/
or
http://www.passionpictures.co.uk

don't forget flay.com

best of luck

paul