PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to be able to save partial renders.

RobinWood
04-24-2003, 10:25 PM
I would like to be able to save (and open) a partial render.

At times, I decide that I really don't need the level of AA I specified, or that the part of this test render I really need is done, and that's all the time I want to spend.

With the current setup, it's either wait for the whole thing to finish, or blow it all away.

It can't be that hard to save whatever is there when the render is aborted, and I'd like to have that option.

(It would be even better to be able to save a partial render, and then finish it later. Or is that asking too much?)

Mylenium
04-25-2003, 01:26 AM
You could always use limited region, or not? As for continuing an aborted render - this has already been discussed in another thread and would be a major technical challenge.

Mylenium

marko
04-25-2003, 08:14 AM
me to;)

my wish is bit more simple

if i am rendering hughe image with radiosity and it takes too long i would like to pause (or simply stop) rendering and store what was redndered up to that moment.

also if you press f9 without image viewer i would like to save what was rendered in buffer. today it is gone!

marko

Mylenium
04-25-2003, 09:19 AM
yeah marko,

I'd agree to the second one. Storing radiosity however only makes sense, if you can store the complete solution. Actually with every rendering process most time is used for building rendering trees, z-sorting, allocating buffers etc.. With a partial store this process will start again in the worst case 'cos storing all this information half way through is somewhat tricky. You could do it decently for scanline renderers ('cos there is no real render tree) but for raytracing and radiosity it would really be difficult.

Mylenium

RobinWood
04-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Mylenium, I'm not sure I made myself clear (which is what I get for writing posts when I have the flu - but the rest of the time I'm too busy using the software to talk about it! :) )

I'm not really asking to save a render in progress - I thought that might be too much. I just want to save the graphic file with anything that has been rendered; at least long enough to take a good look at it.

I use partial renders (25% size, limited region, f11 and/or no AA) all the time when I know how long the render is going to take (in other words, I've already done some test renders.) But sometimes I miscalculate, or change something that seriously impacts the render time. Like most people here, I'm usually working on a deadline.

It doesn't make sense to me that I have to discard the portion of the test render that has finished, and start from scratch with limited renders. Why not just be able to save whatever is there? It can't be that hard to just save the stuff that's done; jaggies, blank spots and all. I'd even live with it if we didn't have a choice of formats. Saving it automatically as a .png or something would be fine with me.

I just don't want to waste a single minute if I don't have to.

And I agree with marko. There should be a dialog to save f9 renders sight unseen, if Image Viewer isn't enabled.