PDA

View Full Version : Rotate to Object?

TARoe
05-16-2005, 11:27 AM
I've tried to use this tool, as well as rotate to ground, but the hint given doesn't seem to do anything. Am I just using it wrong? Just to test it, I created a cube and a small plane. The plane is single sided, and the cube is resting on the origin. I select "rotate to object" with nothing selected, and it gives me the 3 step program. 1) I select the plane object floating at an arbitrary location nearby. How do I complete the next step? When I ALT to rotate a view, the helpful hint goes away. If I carefully select a plane, then SHIFT select the next polygon or whole object, nothing happens. If I hit (n) before selecting the tool, I get no numeric panel. What gives? I'm just trying to put a thing on another thing. :mad: <breathing> <sighing> Ok, I'm better now. :confused: But still confused.

SplineGod
05-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Many times you have to put the reference object into the background layer.

TARoe
05-16-2005, 01:57 PM
This does make something happen, but what? I'm not sure. Thanks for the effort. Any other ideas folks?

Surrealist.
05-16-2005, 03:06 PM
This one actually is explaned pretty good in the manual - believe it or not.

Here it is, page 1042 1043 in the PDF version or go to Modeler/Modify/Rotate in the contents:

TARoe
05-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Oh - Yeah - It's easy if you want to read the manual. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Sorry - I was looking at an older manual, that didn't explain in such vivid detail. The little hint LW gives when you try to use the tool never mentions that you need to make your selections before you click the tool. I guess I should presume that from now on. :)

Thanks for your help.

Surrealist.
05-16-2005, 10:27 PM
No problem, you can download the PDF version if you don't have it here on this webiste. Also as Larry pointed out, some of the tools require putting objects in the background or as an option. There are a few very powerfull tools like that. Background conform comes to mind and the Aligner tool.

Have fun and check out Larry's tutorials, you'll learn a bunch!

SplineGod
05-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks! :)
Things like booleans and drill function also require a cutting tool or template poly to reside in the background. The same applies to rail extrude, rail clone and others. :)
I would also check flay.com for other tools that are useful.