PDA

View Full Version : Subdividing Differences

MrElusive
05-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Alright, I understand that subdividing basically divides polygons into more polygons in order to create a smooth effect. Now, I noticed that there are three methods of subdivision: faceted, smooth, and metaform. What are the differences between these methods, and what constitutes their names?

Captain Obvious
05-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Faceted will subdivide it with no rounding what-so-ever. Smooth will subdivide it in a fairly smooth way. Metaform will give you more or less the same exact result as changing the object into subpatches would (hit 'tab'). The max smoothing angle is just that. Angles wider than this angle will not be smoothed out when you subdivide. Let's say you have a cube and do a metaform subdivision on it with a max smoothing of 180 degrees. The result will look quite a bit like a subpatched cube. If you set the max smoothing to 70 degrees, it will subdivide it, but not smoothly, because all the angles in a cube are 90 degrees.

MrElusive
05-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Dude, Captain Obvious. I like your name, and your post. Thanx a bunch for that. You apparently live up to your name.