PDA

View Full Version : Creating "real" mirror surface?

joeldberry
05-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Can anyone please tell me either where to download or how to make a "real" mirror texture? I have played around with the settings for a while now, and I am getting frustrated, but I just can't seem to get something "real."

I have used trueSpace (no comments, please), and it has an awesome mirror surface that I can just "drop" onto a model, but I cannot find a mirror surface in the defaults with Lightwave 3D 8...

I have looked in metals, glass, natural, etc., etc., but can't find anything even remotely similar to a real mirror... did Lightwave give us one? Did they include everything but it?

Surely if Caligari includes one, Newtek does, too, right? Am I just not looking in the right place? Any formulas? Places to download surfaces?

Thanks again,

jdb

otacon
05-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Just put your diffuse very low like 2%, spec and gloss at 70%, and reflection at 95%. That should look like a mirror.

joeldberry
05-14-2005, 07:06 PM
First of all, thanks for responding...

I have tried what you recommended and still can't get it to work. For example, I created a solid white ball object sitting on a plane with a mirrored surface (based on your suggestion).

I have a distant light (and have even tried a spot light) pointed directly down, angled at the ball/plane. I set the background to the standard sky/ground gradient.

The render (camera angled down at the ball/plane) shows the mirrored object picking up the sky color, but the white ball is nowhere reflected on the mirror. What am I doing wrong? Sorry, but I am really new at Lightwave, having used trueSpace for my previous 3D renders...

Thanks again,

jdb

Cman
05-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Maybe you need to turn on "ray trace reflection"?

joeldberry
05-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Grrrrrr... that's usually one of the first things I have been doing, and this time I forgot to even go to the render settings when trying out the suggestions... I did it, and it worked... THANKS!!!

toby
05-14-2005, 07:48 PM
READ THE MANUAL!! :rolleyes:

Either you're too anxious to play with LW or you don't have one, which is it?

Gui Lo
05-15-2005, 05:59 AM
READ THE MANUAL!! :rolleyes:

Either you're too anxious to play with LW or you don't have one, which is it?

C'mon, he said he normally does that. It catches all of us out, right... me anyway.

:o

joeldberry
05-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Toby,

Actually, I DO normally turn on Radiosity before I render. However, in this case, after reading the post with the settings, I quickly created another Lightwave scene, and applied the settings, and hit render without thinking about turning on the Radiosity settings. People make mistakes. Maybe not you, but some people do. I know I do.

I do own a printed manual. And I do own (3) licenses to Lightwave, thanks for asking (or should I say, thanks for assuming?)

For your information, I did read the MANUAL and have been thumbing through it's massive printed pages for a couple of days now, and although I am new to Lightwave, it has been a little difficult to grasp ALL the freakin' possibilities that can come from ALL the settings in the surfacing properties panel. I simply asked if there was a formula that I was overlooking (because yes, I had been trying).

It does bother me when so many people have the sheer arrogance to tell almost everyone who has a simple question, "RTFM." Some of us do read the manual, but that doesn't necessarily mean we grasp everything that it says right when we read it. Some of us ARE actually new to Lightwave.

Surely, at one point, you weren't so super intelligent? In fact, I bet at one point, you couldn't even speak, or read, or count. I bet your teachers in grade school didn't say, "read the manual" when you were learning how to add numbers, did they? I bet they actually answered your questions, didn't they? I bet they actually worked through problems with you, didn't they? In fact, I bet sometimes, when you asked a question, they actually told you the answer, too, didn't they?

Granted, you're not necessarily a teacher, and aren't being paid as one, for contributing to these forums; but that doesn't mean you can't be helpful, right?

Then again, with your infinite wisdom and knowledge and supreme mastery of "the manual," you probably didn't need a teacher in school, did you? :rolleyes:

We all learn every day. And we are all trying to learn together. So, wouldn't it be more helpful to take this under consideration before you immediately jump to "RTFM" for your contribution to possible solutions?

Not all of us are as great a wizard, perhaps, at Lightwave and 3D as you may be, and granted, some people ask really stupid questions, but please don't always assume that they haven't tried to read the manual and work through the settings.

In this case, it was careless of me, yes, to overlook the Radiosity settings. I admitted that. There are more helpful and constructive ways of helping people than telling them to "Read the Manual."

Thanks to those who spent the time and actually gave useful answers to my questions, though. I really appreciate it, and you have helped me better understand "the manual."

In all seriousness, Toby, I am sure that you are a good person, and much, much, much better at 3D than I am, and have a lot more experience than I do, and in fact, I am sure that you can be quite helpful to those who need answers to their questions, so don't take any of this personally: I am merely making a point.

I hope you see how biting sarcasm and arrogance can be by reading the tone of my post. It's not fun, is it, to be on the other side of someone ripping into you, essentially judging you ("Either you're too anxious to play with LW or you don't have one, which is it?") or assuming you are lazy ("READ THE MANUAL!!")?

I asked a question, and some people offered helpful advice. Yours wasn't helpful.

jdb

gjjackson
05-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Some of this may be due to a simple matter of price. In earlier days 3D applications were extremely expensive and only studios and the like could even afford to use it. Within just the past few years prices have dropped dramatically. I remember first hearing about 3D and it costing somewhere around 10-20K. What individual could afford that. The price structure now allows many users buying it for merely hobbyist reasons. That's where I'm at. When I first heard about 3D apps out there it was Maya that was being touted. I was willing to spend about 2K. I found that didn't include all that I had hoped. I subsequently, somewhere, heard about Lightwave. I found it cost about 1600 for a complete app where Maya's had add on costs. I jumped on it. So it's been sounding like a lot of new users here are merely hobbyists and not professionals. I was one who was fascinated with 3D from the movie The Last Starfighter, and heard it was created on a Cray X-MP supercomputer. I now have a super-supercomputer compared to that Cray and can Now do 3D work. And this is great.

Just now starting my first 3D character model. I'm using a graphic novel for a storyboard to create some animations. Hope to post some of my work in the near future.

toby
05-15-2005, 01:15 PM
C'mon, he said he normally does that. It catches all of us out, right... me anyway.

:o
He posted that while I was writing my post - I hadn't seen it.

My post wasn't meant to be helpful, except to anyone who hates silly questions from people who have a cracked copy of LW and no manual, or own it but don't want to read it. Sorry if this isn't you, but there's no way for me to have known that. If I had known I might have found a more gentle way of putting it. We've all asked stupid questions, and we've all taken flak for it too. We've even had people asking how to make a box!

But such a response for my comments on such a basic question makes me think that you really do need to study the manual, not just use it as a reference. Ray-tracing reflection is very basic 3D: reflective surface + no reflection = raytracing is off. But you don't seem to know about it, and so far you've called it 'mirror' and 'radiosity'. The manual can be fascinating, when you see all the things a good 3d app can do.

joeldberry
05-15-2005, 02:18 PM
I already admitted that I am not as smart as you when it comes to 3D, and yes, some of the terms ("radiosity vs. ray-tracing") I have obviously gotten mixed up (although I did not call it "mirror" I asked how to make a "mirror").

So, does that make me ineligible to ask a basic question here, until I have spent days, months, years studying the manual? Do you realize that some of us who have purchased Lightwave have not spent a whole great amount of time in the 3D world, and are just beginning to learn? That means that we may not necessarily understand some of the terms even used in the Lightwave manual...

I think patience and understanding are required of those of us who know more than someone else, especially when they ask questions... It just seems that you have a slight touch of "high-horse" mentality in your responses, when all I did was ask a simple question...

Thanks, nonetheless.

lardbros
05-15-2005, 03:18 PM
WHOAH guys... calm down a bit in here!!! I agree, searching FLAY for tutorials is always a good starting point, and usually their tuts are simpler than the manual.

Check out Flay.com for lightwave stuff, including free and pay for plugins.

Just wondering why you went and bought 3 licenses of Lightwave when you hadnt used it before? Thats what i call jumping in at the deep end! :D

joeldberry
05-15-2005, 08:30 PM
You're right! I tend to do that! Actually, I bought them for each of my computers: a PC at home, a Mac at home, and a Mac Powerbook. I am starting (or have been tasked) to do more "conceptualizing" for buildings on sites, as well as some CG work for video production.

I got the licenses by upgrading from trueSpace while they were such a great deal ($495 competitive upgrades), knowing ahead of time that I would be needing them on each of my computer -- may as well save $1,000 a piece now, right?

And, no, it's not the idea that 3 licenses will make me a better 3D artist because of the sheer volume! ;) I don't think it works that way!

I have used trueSpace (which I have a great respect for!), and I can say that Lightwave is a different animal entirely, and in many ways, quite intimidating. Yes, I have read through the manual (though I haven't studied it yet!) and have gone through several tutorials, but coming from trueSpace (where everything like surface settings/texturing is almost already "done" for you: you just have to learn the tools and create the models/scenes) I have to admit, I sound like I don't know what I am talking about in Lightwave because so often I don't!

That's what kind of frustrated me earlier with Toby. I know you mean well, Toby. And I know there are a lot of people out there who have cracked copies and all that, but I was asking a simple question, just needing some guidance, and your comments just seemed out of place to me...

I can understand where everyone's coming from, and yes, I used the wrong terms (I am still trying to determine why and where I got "radiosity"?! I have been reading so many books and articles lately on 3D stuff!), but I, like others who are truly new to the extremely powerful (but sometimes quite intimidating) world of Lightwave 3D, am just asking for a little patience and guidance, as we learn the program.

There are a lot of smart people here who answer questions and contribute, and we beginners truly appreciate the efforts. And, Toby, please don't take my comments personally: I think we got off on the wrong foot, and part of that comes from my frustration and ignorance of the program: but I do own real licenses, a real (thick!) manual, and I am trying to learn... and you're right: I need to spend more time studying the manual! :D

Thanks again for all your answers... they help...

jdb

Gui Lo
05-15-2005, 09:52 PM
My post wasn't meant to be helpful, except to anyone who hates silly questions from people who have a cracked copy of LW and no manual, or own it but don't want to read it.

Well, that's the point.
After using LW off an on for 6 years I asked how to contrain a move along an axis. I had read the manuel but kept missing the sentence. I got the answer within a couple of hours and I was overjoyed at the nature of the response and the depth of the replies. I thought it was such a simple silly question and readed myself for some flak. It never came and I feel great about the community and try to help if ever I can.

A simple question to one person is a monster to another. If you cannot be helpful then do nothing, do not waste your time and please move on to another thread.

Gui Lo

toby
05-16-2005, 02:50 AM
So we shouldn't try to find out if a user has a cracked copy, and has the audacity to come to Newtek's site for help in using it? I've already fingered a couple, others have too. I'm glad jdb can see that I meant no insult.

mattclary
05-16-2005, 06:08 AM
knowing ahead of time that I would be needing them on each of my computer

I commend you for your wise choice in purchasing LightWave, but you do realize that you only need 1 license and can move your dongle from one machine to the other? Even from Mac to PC. Newtek is cool like that, they will give you a license key for both a Mac and PC that will work with your dongle. Both the Mac and PC version ship in the same box.

joeldberry
05-16-2005, 07:41 AM
My main concern was not having to worry about forgetting the dongle when I am on the road or moving from machine to machine (right now I have one of the dongles at my office instead of at home, and I can just leave it here at night), so it worked out really well! But if I ever get more than 3 machines, I'll remember I can move the dongle among them! :cool:

Not to mention (and this may help aleviate some of Toby's -- and others -- concerns) I am a strong anti-pirate (after all, I don't want people copying my work and making money off of it), and if I can afford more than one license for use on more than one machine, I am going to purchase more than one license...

I realize that it's by our purchasing Lightwave 3D that Newtek has more money to put into Lightwave 3D in the future, and after reviewing many other 3D packages, I chose Lightwave specifically, so I want Newtek to be able to spend more on R&D in the future...

gjjackson
05-16-2005, 07:44 AM
Hope to see some of your work in the near future.

mattclary
05-16-2005, 07:50 AM
I realize that it's by our purchasing Lightwave 3D that Newtek has more money to put into Lightwave 3D in the future

Amen! If I had more $$$ I would probably buy extra licenses just to support them. :cool:

Wade
05-16-2005, 08:03 AM
So we shouldn't try to find out if a user has a cracked copy, and has the audacity to come to Newtek's site for help in using it? I've already fingered a couple, others have too. I'm glad jdb can see that I meant no insult.

Maybe or maybe not -

I would rather myself error on the side of being nice, and perhaps win over a new member to the family. You never know.

Manuel - good
Search topics in forum some times better
Ask a stupid question better than giving up on the learning process.

There are so many really generous people in this LW community if they want to
take the time to answer the most basic question more power to them makes this
a nice place to hang out for awhile.

I have been there; sometimes we all need a little nudge to keep us moving along.

Wade

Peace, Love, Polys
:)

Lukesutherland
05-16-2005, 08:31 AM
a bit 'off topic' - but it's not like this thread is really on-topic anyhow...and it's sort of related to the original topic

I had'nt used saslite before except when i did a tutorial for some grass a long time ago. I had a go at making some hair guides on the weekend it took me a bit of head scratching to remember to add the pixel filter to the effects window for it to work.
Also the 'enable glow' button I have missed that before...

Why aren't these setting automatically added?

I mean if you apply saslite, wouldn't it be good if the pixel filter was added automatically or the same if you add a glow to a surface.

Reflections I can sort of understand cause of the render time difference but the saslite you could just enable and disable in the properties deform tab, or am I missing something>?

(licensed user BTW)

cdfuser
05-16-2005, 09:04 AM
(licensed user BTW)

LOL! Maybe we should all be required to post the first 10 digits of (each of) our license key(s) on our user profiles, so we aren't mistaken for users of cracked copies! ;)

JohnMarchant
05-16-2005, 09:17 AM
cdfuser, Totally agree man. I would love to see a few forums closed to the pirated copy people. Its bad enough to use cracked copies but then to profit by using other peoples information, models and tuorials just takes the p**s.

Probably never happen though, very hard to implement. Maybe have your license key as part or all of your password.

Lukesutherland
05-16-2005, 09:37 AM
I'm not condoning software piracy but I would imagine most illegal users wouldn't be working professionally, just hobbyists. If these hobbyists get good enough to get a job or make money from there work through then buy the software then that is a good thing don't you think? The user base gets expanded.

joeldberry
05-16-2005, 09:41 AM
If these hobbyists get good enough to get a job or make money from there work through then buy the software then that is a good thing don't you think? The user base gets expanded.

Sounds like condoning piracy to me... This is one of the arguments that software pirates love to make, how piracy "helps" a company's product "get out to the market."

Is it okay to go and steal a brand new Nissan Altima because you can't afford one or just want to "drive around in it" until one day when you can actually afford one, maybe you'll like this car so much you'll buy a Nissan Altima, thus helping Nissan in the long run, and thus justifying your theft?

I don't think so...

lardbros
05-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Hmmm, not sure about having to enter your license key to be able to use the forum. Now that i am a registered user i don't mind, but a year or so ago i was a lowly student, couldnt afford to buy LW and would have been extremely lost without this place while working on my dissertation and other projects. I spent my whole final yr in the labs at uni using LW.

The pirate users are usually easy to spot... ask tonnes of questions like: Why does LW 8 Discovery Edition, that i (honestly, i did) downloaded from your website, render with a strange pattern in the background??

Or, Where can i get a copy of the LW manual from? :D

Anyway, it's a tough one... i would like us priveleged owners to actually have special things just for us though... it does seem kinda unfair that the pirates can get the same info as the rest of us. While recently searching for the plugin OGO Hikari's website, i noticed more pirate sites came up than legitimate ones. Take a look on Google and search for OGO Hikari, they are all charging for stuff. Wish i had the power to shut them down and kick them in the goolies!

Lukesutherland
05-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Is it okay to go and steal a brand new Nissan Altima because you can't afford one or just want to "drive around in it" until one day when you can actually afford one, maybe you'll like this car so much you'll buy a Nissan Altima, thus helping Nissan in the long run, and thus justifying your theft?

I don't think so...

Software is a tool not a toy (as in a car), completely different application and pretty pointless comparison.

I work now and and my employer owns the software but when I was a student I used an illegal copy, I seriously doubt if I would be using the same software if I didn't have acess to a pirate version, the last 2 places I have worked at have bought a license because thats the sofware I use.

Now my stolen vehicle, that's a different matter! I'm just borrowing it officer! :p

joeldberry
05-16-2005, 10:51 AM
I think it's a pretty good comparison. And I think most people nowadays would argue that a car is not a toy. In most places it is required to drive to and from work, where one earns money using software that their employer purchased, or where one earns money to purchase the software they need to do the job.

Car or software? Either way, you are stealing from someone and claiming that in the future you'll pay for it. "Honest, mister, I only stole this one for now. I really was going to buy one, one day!"

Doesn't matter. If you want to get something now and pay for it in the future, it's called credit. Not being able to afford some thing doesn't give ANY right to use ANY thing illegally. Period. Poor student or pissed-off hacker. It doesn't matter.

Anyway, isn't that why most mainstream software companies offer educational discounts? :confused: