PDA

View Full Version : How would you animate something like this...?

Hervé
05-14-2005, 03:02 AM
Hello, here is a replica of the famous lamp arm...

Now I want to animate this... that is flex it, rotate it... etc...

How would you do it... any tutorials.?.. I think the hardest to animate is going to be the springs no? I am suspecting that needs a handfull of scripts... well if that is the case I am cooked... he he

Any POV appreciated...

Hervé

JohnMarchant
05-14-2005, 04:05 AM
There are several ways to do it.

1. IK set up with goals etc.

2. Even bones would do it.

Depends on how much you want to do, i would probably go with IK, loads of tutorials about in Newtek on setting up IK.

Regards, John

Hervé
05-14-2005, 04:33 AM
oh yeah I know this requires goals, nulls, ik, tagets.... I am just completely lost when it comes down to this... and I tried a tut about hydraulics arm, well not the same... this set up looks like pretty complex one.... what do you think...? ;)

Psycho Zo
05-14-2005, 08:51 AM
I'd just IK the armature and probably make a morph map for the springs.. so they squeeze togther. Maybe I'm just a bit budget.

But you're thinking about scripting springs eh? Sounds like Hooke's Law to me..... F=kx ...

Good luck scripting it....

*Runs away very very very fast*

Hervé
05-14-2005, 09:49 AM
NOOOOoooo I don't want to script anything... I just want to do a "budget" stuff simple...

I kinda succeded making IK for the under arm, but how to make all in relation look very tough to me.. can you help me I am lost... like do I need to different IK chains somehow parented together...? anyway, I wish they had more advanced stuff in the tutorial section... sure I can IK a sigle arm, but these two are in relation with the jonction paltes and all..

ah well, I 'll give it to a collegue.... I just don't want to loose more than a hour for that and it looks for me it would require a week of fighting..

Thanks anyway... :o

WCameron
05-15-2005, 12:38 AM
theres a lamp like this in the classic content i think....

- edit - and i cant seem to find it.... sigh...

- Will.

Hervé
05-15-2005, 02:13 AM
Thanks Cameron, I have found it... it was under Blochi stuff called lamp setup...

Thanks again ! you saved my butt.... ;) :D

WCameron
05-15-2005, 07:58 AM
doh! i didnt even look in that folder! heh.

- Will.