Can someone tell me if there is a maximum image size in pixels that
can be imported into LW. I have a 21,600 wide pixel satelite image
which won't load until I reduce it's size to 15,000 wide. I added more
RAM but makes no difference. I have 1.5GB of RAM and the image is
400mb and after loading the 15,000 pixel image Scene Statistics tells
me I've still got 900mb RAM free. I'd like to use as higher resolution
as I can because I need to get as close as I can. If someone can me
the answer I would be much appreciated. Thanks, Mike

You can't use larger images than 16000 pixels wide or high in LW and even then you have to pray that everything even renders without crashing permanently. Adding more RAM doesn't do anything, this limitation is hard-coded into the program routines.

Mylenium

oab
05-14-2005, 04:53 AM
Many thanks, that explains all, I originally reduced the image size to 16,000 and sometimes it loaded and sometimes it didn't, at 15,000 it loads every time. Bit of a shame I can't use the full resolutin. Many thanks for the reply, Mike

Lightwolf
05-14-2005, 04:56 AM
Hi Mike,

<plug>
you can of course also use infiniMap (www.infinimap.com) for your hires texturing needs ;)
</plug>
Cheers,
Mike

Skritter
05-14-2005, 05:40 AM
Why cant you brake the image up in to parts and apply it to more surfaces

oab
05-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the info, breaking the object with multiple surfaces was next on the list, I thought I'd find out if it possible the easy way first with one image, one surface. I couldn't find any info on max size import just max size output. The infinimap looks good but doesn't appear to do spherical map as I need to map it as a globe, and I'll need to download software to make ECW files. Thanks for your help, Mike

Lightwolf
05-15-2005, 04:52 AM
The infinimap looks good but doesn't appear to do spherical map as I need to map it as a globe, and I'll need to download software to make ECW files. Thanks for your help, Mike
Well, the software is free for up to 500MB of raw RGB images and you should be able to find a JPEG2000 compressor that handles more than that.
Spherical maps are on the list :)

Cheers,
Mike

oab
05-16-2005, 04:33 AM
I've tried the LE version of infinimap and it works fine, imported 21,600 pixel image and mapped it to flat surface. The spherical mapping that I need isn't available on LE and the full version is still being worked on and not available at present. Hopefully not far away. Thanks Mike

Lightwolf
05-17-2005, 02:44 AM
The spherical mapping that I need isn't available on LE and the full version is still being worked on and not available at present. Hopefully not far away.
I hope so too ;)
Cheers,
Mike