PDA

View Full Version : Add all your system fonts to Lightwave

Karmacop
05-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Ok, I have a way to easily add all the fonts on your system to Lightwave for use with the text tools, but it hasn't been tested on anything other than my computer.

Firstly, you need to have java 1.5 running on your computer. If you don't then tell me an maybe I'll compile it for 1.4 if enough people ask.

Then download the attachment at the end of this file (LightwaveFontList.zip) and rename it to LightwaveFontList.jar. Once this is done you can double click on the .jar file and if you have java running properly on your system then it'll bring up a nice interface (it's actually crap, this is my first interface) as shown in the image below. You then select which fonts you want (regular, bold, italic, and bold italic) and hit "create font list".

Once this list is created you can copy and paste the text to a text file, or go to file>save and save the text file out somewhere. You can then close this java app down.

Next you go into modeler, and in the create tab under text there should be a manage fonts button. Clicking on this will bring up an interface to edit your fonts. Go to "Load list" and browse for the file you just created. After adding this your font list should be full with all the fonts on your system.

This explaination is really long but if you know what you're doing this'll take less than a minute to do. Hope it helps everyone.

Hoopti
05-13-2005, 11:14 PM
What a great tool. Thanks for posting this.

Hoop

riki
05-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Is there a downside to having all your system fonts loaded. I think from memory I was told that it chews into system resources. Which sounds a bit unlikely to me, but maybe someone else can shed some light.

Karmacop
05-14-2005, 01:25 AM
It just makes your modeler config file really long :p

Actually that's a good question. It doesn't seem to make a difference to me but if someone (say from newtek) have a better idea about this I'd like to know.

If it is a problem, you could always just open up the text file and remove all the fonts you don't want to load.

gaetan
05-30-2005, 08:00 AM
Nice mano! very good help! ! :)

Thank's

Gaetan

Paul_Boland
05-30-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm new to Lightwave and am currently reading through and learning from the Lightwave 8 manual. I recently read the section on text tools and it says there that fonts have to be loaded into Lightwave before you can use them with a text tool BUT that they don't consume system resources until they are actually used in a scene.

prospector
05-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Question Karmacop;

Would it be possable to make your list in your interface to show the font as it will be used?

Like in Aura, the fonts are listed as they really look.
It would be helpful if we could see them and pick them from your list, (say we need 5 fonts in a certain shape).

Karmacop
05-30-2005, 05:09 PM
gaetan: I'm glad you like it :)

Paul_Boland: thanks for the information, i didn't even think about looking in the manual for that :)

prospector: Nice idea! How would you like this to work though? At the moment the only option is to make the text of each line the same font as what the font on that line is. This is alright, but some fonts are very unreadable, and that's bad because then it becomes harder to remove fonts you don't want.

I could probably make another section of the window that would show an example of the font eg a-z and 0-9, but then if anythign is deleted in the left side then the fonts and exmple text will be miss aligned.

What I could do is change the interface, but I'm busy with university at the moment so it may take awhile. I'm thinking I should remove the the text box, and instead have basically a bit table where each font is a row with the name of the font, it's options (bold, italic etc), some example text, and a button to delete the font from your font list. Does that sound like a good way to do it?
That way you could individually add or remove fonts manually.

prospector
05-31-2005, 12:03 AM
anyway to see the actual font is perfect :D
I'm easy