PDA

View Full Version : Audio Hiss

Collin Glover
04-24-2003, 05:21 PM
We have just got our VT2 system up and running, but we have the oddest problem, on the left audio channel we constantly have a low white noise hiss. Does anyone have a suggestion to remedy this problem?

ted
04-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Just for certain, make sure you sample the audio source directly to a monitor.
Also make sure none of your cables are laying over any power cords. This could add noise.

Also, make sure your left source channel isn't cranked all the way up.

If none of this helps, without causing alarm, it sounds like a bad card, or more likely, a defective Breakout Box. Are you running through a breakout box?

weaponsInspecto
04-25-2003, 02:11 AM
Do me a favor and switch your right and left output cables to see if the problem follows the cable. Then let me know if it also hisses on the PA out of the BOB, assuming you have a BOB. In any event, more detail will help

Collin Glover
04-25-2003, 10:25 AM
We've tried this BOB on another system and had no hiss. The hiss comes thru all the outputs including the PA out. We don't have any power cables near any audio wires.

We are coming directly out into a mixer board. If you look at the audio mixer console in the Toaster, you can see the level coming thru, even when every channel is muted, there is still this level coming thru on the left audio side. It only shows up on the "Toaster In" channel. This is so weird.

Bent
05-31-2003, 06:00 PM
Colin, I had the same problem. Audio Hiss left channel only. The noise is coming straight from the Toaster card audio out. No BOB. Nothing else hooked up. Audio out straight to speakers and noise galore in the left speaker. So I Sent my entire board set back to Newtek. I even sent the BOB just in case. I was a little bothered that they didn't contact me with the result of their inspection. However they did send it back very quickly with 2 parts replaced. I don't know what parts they are but the paper says, U60 and ECO4.1. Seems like they are the boards or parts on the boards. Anyway things seem much better now. Although I haven't put it through the paces with the BOB, the noise seems gone when I hook it straight to the speakers.

Have you done anything to fix this since your last report?

Bent

Collin Glover
06-02-2003, 01:23 PM
I haven't sent it in yet. How quickly did you send it out and get it back. We use our toaster in a church environment, and can't be without the switcher for more than a few days.

Thanks for your reply.

Bent
06-06-2003, 11:13 PM
I sent the Board set on a Monday, and I had it back on the Friday. I had to pay overnight shipping at my end, and they paid the shipping at thiers. Hardly seems fair that I had to pay anything since this was a brand new board.

SBowie
06-07-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Bent
I sent the Board set on a Monday, and I had it back on the Friday. I had to pay overnight shipping at my end, and they paid the shipping at thiers. Hardly seems fair that I had to pay anything since this was a brand new board. This is standard with every company I deal with, although some are a lot slower. (Had you bought through a dealer, he or she would likely have handled the whole exchange for you, but perhaps that wasn't possible in your case.)

Bent
06-07-2003, 12:17 PM
That's true, but some company's will cross-ship parts which reduces down time. I actually did buy from a dealer but not local so shipping would have been in there somewhere. No problem. In any event we are all fixed now with only minor setbacks.

Steve, I am originally from Toronto. How's it goin' eh? Say hi to CN tower for me. How about those Blue Jays? I miss TO but get up to visit my folks every now and then.

Bent

Dan Barnett
06-18-2003, 02:11 AM
I remember talking to someone in tech support about this hissing problem at sometime or another in the past. There was no answer to the problem then at least as far as I can recall. But now...wow I'm excited ! I remember just having to live with it. I'm really glad to have looked this thread up. I can not wait to get my board in for a repair.