PDA

View Full Version : TIFF broken

brunoco
05-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi,

Seems the tiff is now worse then before. Now i need to resurface all myobjects that had a tiff file as surface. When any tiff file has a invalid tag (seems to sometimes happen when i buy textures) the tiff plugin displays a big error and then totally messes the texture up. The previous 8.2.1 plugin did not had this problem at all. I jsut ignored bad tags and all worked fine.

Big mess for me the new tiff plugin . please NewTek fix the tiff plugin to IGNORE invalid tags! And why do alot of my models need to be resurfaced ?

dgon64
05-12-2005, 09:09 PM
I tried loading a scene in 8.3 with several tiffs and then received a bunch of error messages and no surfaces with these images. I don't use this format that much so it's merely inconvenient for me-but I can see how this could be annoying to say the least. No answers but wanted to confirm your problem.

spec24
05-13-2005, 06:38 AM
I use them (tif's) almost exclusively. I really wonder how NT missed such a thing. I get an error on every tif I use now. Every **** model I have has tif's on it. Come on NT, how about a quick patch for this problem?

JML
05-13-2005, 07:04 AM
yeah , same problem here, and we mostly use tif and jpg files, so it's a problem for us.
(along with the broken soften reflection plugin - scale by buffer doesn't work)

there is no way we will upgrade to 8.3 until those are fix.

retinajoy
05-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Big mess for me the new tiff plugin . please NewTek fix the tiff plugin to IGNORE invalid tags! And why do alot of my models need to be resurfaced ?

My TIFFs are fine but maybe I have not got invalid tags. Instead of resurfacing, have you tried simply opening them up in Photoshop and re-saving them? Would that correct the invalid tags?

BeeVee
05-13-2005, 08:10 AM
I have one user that has sent me his files that have an invalid tag, but yet load. They were saved in Photoshop. I resaved them in Paint Shop Pro and not only was the file considerably smaller (the original was 250k, the new version was 195k) it loaded without problem.

B

JML
05-13-2005, 08:50 AM
so are you saying we should sell our photoshop cs to buy paint shop pro ? ;)

lw was loading any kind of tiff file fine before, and now it doesn't, what happen ?

why did somebody worked on the tiff plugin in lw, did the tiff format change or something and the plugin needed some adjustement?

spec24
05-13-2005, 08:56 AM
it's a lot of fun if you use tif files out of bodypaint too

Big Jay
05-13-2005, 05:51 PM
just had this issue in Quark, probably related to this, but Photoshop CS has a new tif format. You can save layers in it maybe that is what is causing the issue.

jonkajtys
05-27-2005, 05:38 AM
I have just upgraded to LW 8 (8.3)
and this Tiff issue is pretty big for me.
All my objects use Tiffs, since TGA format was partially broken, Im also using tiffs from Body Paint.

LW 8.0 was loading tiffs fine, what happened to 8.3?

Is Newtek planning on release a patch for it?

Grzegorz Jonkajtys
www.3dluvr.com/jonkajtys

serge
05-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Joining the party....I use Bodypaint and LW8.3, and get the following error when loading an object back into Lightwave:

TIFFReadDirectory: Warning.
C:\Program Files\Lightwave\Content\Images\test_Color.tif: invalid TIFF directory; tags are not sorted in ascending order

LW8.0 didn't have this problem.

jonkajtys
05-28-2005, 02:16 AM
I have replaced the tiff.p (in the input/output plugins directory) with the old version (from 7.5) and it works.
doesnt give me the error anymore.

(thanks Pazur for the tip ;)

G.Jonkajtys
www.3dluvr.com/jonkajtys

kntemplar
07-10-2005, 01:06 PM
I've had this same problem. I see a lot of scenes in the Content folder with the Targa format. Is this sort of Lightwave's native image format? :confused:

badllarma
07-10-2005, 04:12 PM
I've had a nightmare with this as alll my Xfrog models use Tif's as well are we saying the Tif plugin for 8.0 was ok but has been broken in 8.3 or will this effect the 8.0 versions as well?
In which case I haave a very early version of lightwave with my VT2 would this plugin work?

brap
07-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Hey all,

So is replacing the plug with an older one a safe way to go, or is it best to bypass this update? I'd like to move up to 8.3, but broken tifs from Photoshop or elsewhere would be a showstopper.
Anyone talk to Newtek about this?

thanks,
Jamie

jonkajtys
07-13-2005, 08:35 AM
Replaced tiff plugin works great, and I had no problems ever since.

g.

brap
07-13-2005, 08:45 AM
thanks, g, I appreciate it! The .tif plug must have been altered for some reason, however, right? Maybe someone in-the-know can comment.

love that new image on your site, btw!!

-Jamie

Chuck
07-13-2005, 10:21 AM
I've forwarded the info from this thread to the dev team. I would be useful if the information were also posted to the Bug Workshop thread in the general support forum...