PDA

View Full Version : Ciao!

jevinstudios
05-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Just wanted to post a thread to the LW Community to say "thanks" for a cool 10 years as a professional in the industry! After a decade of successful and joyous 3D production in the video game, aerospace, broadcast and short film genres, I've decided to retire from commercial animation work.

It's been a wild ride, and a real pleasure being part of the coolest 3D Community in the World (yeah -- that's you guyz!). My work has enhanced 14 major game titles, and secured millions in funding for projects in the aerospace industry -- not to mention given me a whole lot of pleasure and fulfilment in my accomplishments.

As LW continues to evolve and develop further, I hope this community evolves and grows with it. Best of luck and success to y'all -- I'll look for your work when I surf the web, check out the latest broadcast offerings, and kick back for an evening at the movies......

Kevin Soderlund
Jevin Studios

PS: If anyone is lookin' for a killer multi-machine LW set-up with Sasquatch and a complimentary Maya 6 license, check out my post in the LW BUY/SELL/TRADE portion of this Forum. I'm legit, and not out to bullsh*t anyone -- just want another LW professional to get access to my stuff at a kewl price. Ciao!

3danim8d
05-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Kevin,

Congratulations on your retirement, I hope you enjoy it.

Jeff

jevinstudios
05-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Hey, Jeff --

Thanks for the great wishes! Really appreciate it... Best of luck to you in your endeavors, too -- from one desert creature to another! (Really enjoyed meeting you last year!)

Kevin

PS: I've already got another exciting career in full swing, so no time off for good behavior -- it's just not CG art-related. My artistic expression will be now be more of a personal hobby than a career, which I find quite reassuring. I've been re-inventing my work and going back to my roots as a 2D artist, focusing on digital painting, drawing, character studies, etc.....

Captain Obvious
05-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Have fun on the golf course! ;)

Nemoid
05-13-2005, 05:37 AM
hey Best wishes !
i think the experience you got form working in to
3d content creation can be very important into the 2d field too. ;)

Ciao to you from Nemoid ;)

jevinstudios
05-13-2005, 07:43 AM
Captain Obvious:

Hole in one!

and Nemoid:

Many thanks -- my training back when I was in college was in traditional illustration (acrylic, guache, charcoal, water color, etc.). That's where I find my work leaning these days (although now I do it all digitally); I enjoy the freedom to take art where I feel it's going at the spur of the moment, and not for profit. But you're right about 3D experience enhancing the 2D world -- I know my 2D work will be all the better from my years of looking through a 3D lense!

JML
05-13-2005, 08:56 AM
congratulation too .

are you use you should sell your system ?
you may want to do some 3d just for fun some day..

WilliamVaughan
05-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Good luck in your new ventures....maybe LW could be your hobby now instead of your work? :)

jevinstudios
05-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Good luck in your new ventures....maybe LW could be your hobby now instead of your work?

Art as a hobby -- definitely! Not ruling out the occasional short film or art show, either. I guess my dayz as an "Art Whore" are over -- now I'm selling Real Estate instead (working with one of the most prestigious companies in the world), with art as an off-time decompression and enjoyment vehicle..... I've retired from one industry, and started fresh and new in another! Guess I'm not one for rest and relaxation.....

T-Light
05-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Good Look Kevin. :)

You'll be missed.

Brent.

bobakabob
05-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Hey Kevin,

Good luck in your new career. Hope you don't stop posting work on the Lightwave forums. Your last few pieces - especially the outdoor scenes - were awesome.

Cheers,

Bob

jevinstudios
05-14-2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks, Brent & Bob! Really appreciate it.....

Lewis
05-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Best wishes in your new "project" :).

Drop in sometime to see what we are doing with Lw X.X ;)

theo
05-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Art as a hobby -- definitely! Not ruling out the occasional short film or art show, either. I guess my dayz as an "Art Whore" are over -- now I'm selling Real Estate instead (working with one of the most prestigious companies in the world), with art as an off-time decompression and enjoyment vehicle..... I've retired from one industry, and started fresh and new in another! Guess I'm not one for rest and relaxation.....

I too wish you the best Jevin. I have always appreciated your enthusiasm and talent.

But, as an aside- I do wonder just a tad if your "career change" is motivated by the fact that you may actually be engaging in an solid money-making venture, in this case the lucrative (depending on where you are) field of real estate.

I obviously think this is fantastic and wish you the best of success but I would love it if you would share your thoughts on my comment. I find 3D to be fun and engaging but it is VERY hard to make serious money with unless you are in a very few choice areas in the country or just happen to have one of the few deep-pocket clients.

Real estate is definitely one area where "serious money possibilities are completely realizable.

So....are we getting the itch to actually make more cash than 3D ever could?

jevinstudios
05-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Hey, Theo --

Thanks for picking my brain. Actually, I was doing pretty well money-wise with 3D (each year, my revenue increased by about $8,000 - $10,000 -- not bad for a freelancer). I was working like a dog, and found that for the past few years, I was only doing art for profit, and not for myself. Running my own business, I wasn't just the main artist, however -- I was marketing, budgeting, hiring subcontractors, supervising, and in my off-time, trying to keep up with all the software upgrades (reading manuals constantly, and spending every inch of my free time keeping up with the latest CG trends).

Running a studio was also very expensive, costing me about $27,000 per year in hardware/software and operating expenses -- money that I would like to start putting into other areas of my daily life..... You've got to spend money to make money, especially when I was competing in a very high-end market (working for one of the world's leading aerospace companies on contracts that were designed to secure funding in the millions...).

My true love is really drawing and painting -- something that I haven't done since 1995. I guess I was feeling the call back to my traditional illustration roots, and decided to move into a career that would allow me to focus my artistic endeavors more in that direction instead of 3D, and to make my art more of a joy and a hobby. I feel a freedom and relief than I haven't felt in years, now that I've made the 3D retirement official -- although I've loved my CG career immensely!

Working in real estate (Santa Fe is a very high-end, thriving market) allows me to be a little more social, and I love sales. I can also take this career into my physical retirement years (at least 25 years from now), whereas I realistically don't think I would be competitive in 3D animation at that time.

So, that's about it. 3D is a wonderful, inspiring career -- but I've done it for 10 years now, and was itching for a change. Now, I do art for ME, and not according to someone else's direction. I like that.

theo
05-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Super- Appreciate the honesty and wish you only the best!

jevinstudios
05-16-2005, 05:45 AM
Thanks, Theo -- and the same to you!!! I wish you -- and all the other designers on this forum -- only the very best of success as this industry continues to grow and prosper!