PDA

View Full Version : Installing 8.0

dgon64
05-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone-I just upgraded to 8.3 and everything seems fine except for a problem with another software ( Wordbuilder 4.1 ). Before the upgrade, the plug-in that integrated the two worked o.k. ( there were minor problems but it worked ). Now it still works but barely. I wanted to reinstall 8.2 to see if this is a problem with 8.3 but when I try to install 8.0 from the discs, Installshield first prompts me to uninstall 8.3 and when I click cancel ( I don't want to uninstall 8.3 ) setup ends. I've seen posts where some of you have multiple versions of LW ( just in case something is screwed up in a later version ) but I can't seem to install v.8.0 ( I would load it onto a different drive other than the drive containing 8.3 ). Are v. 8.0 and 8.3 compatible on the same computer or is there some other way to do this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW I took advantage of the 2nd seat offer so I could load LW onto another computer ( if my other one hadn't died-looking to buy one for LW64 whenever that comes out-hence the 2nd seat so I can be patient ) but there must be a simpler way. Just trying to figure it out-gotta start somewhere! Thanks guys!

Silkrooster
05-12-2005, 08:28 PM
If your getting an error message that is not allowing you to install an older version on the same drive as 8.3, try this. Uninstall 8.3, install 8.0, copy the 8.0 folder to an additional folder and install 8.3 to this copied folder. Since 8.3 is an upgrade it needs some of the older files, which is why you need to copy the folder.
Hope this helps. BTW Back up before you uninstall, don't want you to loose something important.
Silk

dgon64
05-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestion-I think I may keep both versions if this works because as noted in another post, I also have problems ( in 8.3 ) with scenes containing tiff files.

BeeVee
05-13-2005, 01:49 AM
Also, another thing to note is that if you are using multiple versions of LightWave on a single machine you *need* to use the -c flag to redirect your configs, so that you can maintain separate configs for different versions.

B

dgon64
05-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Sorry, that's a new one on me-what do you mean by -c flag? I figured as much about the configs but just wasn't sure how or when to do that exactly during installation. Although I manage my way well enough around a computer, certain basic gaps in my knowledge still exist so any chance like this to learn about a basic function is appreciated. Thanks Ben and Silkrooster, it would seem to be both resourceful and proactive to have different versions loaded-just in case something works unexpectedly in a future releases.

Silkrooster
05-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Yep I forgot about that. The -c is placed on the taget in the shortcut properties.
So if your target to layout is c:\program files\New location folder\layout.exe
The target would become "c:\program files\New location folder\layout.exe" -c"c:\program files\New location folder\config" config being a new folder storing the config files. Note quotes are only used in the target when there are spaces in the target name.
Silk

dgon64
05-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Thanks again Silk, I think I get it so now I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Learning something new though is its own reward. Goodday!

dgon64
05-16-2005, 02:56 PM
I wanted to thank Silkrooster and BeeVee for their advice concerning having different versions of Lightwave on my computer. I expect experienced LW users will already have known how to do this-however to anyone accustomed to having only one version on their computer, I can say that the whole process was suprisingly easy. I had 8.3 installed so I began by uninstalling everything Lightwave ( obviously after having made back-ups of anything important ) then reinstalling LW8.0. Afterwards, I created 2 new folders ( one called LW8.2 and one called LW8.3-duh! ). I then copied LW8.0 into each folder. Next, I ran each update and during installation when prompted where to install updates ( be careful not to miss this option ), I directed each update to be placed into its appropriate folder. Finally, navigating my way through Windows Explorer, I found "lightwave.exe" and "modeler.exe" for each update and created new shortcuts which I renamed LW8.2 and LW8.3 and dragged out to my desktop. So now I have 6 icons on my desktop ( 3 for each version of Modeler and Lightwave ) and I've tested each icon and suprise it all works! For anyone having problems with losing features in each new update this process though requiring more hard drive space sure gives one a few more options. I also realize this isn't a perfect solution for everyone but for me it worked great. May the Force be with you-sorry I couldn't resist.