PDA

View Full Version : TriCaster & DVD playback

ise
05-12-2005, 12:54 PM
If you plug an Ext DVD drive into TriCaster, is their any way to playback DVDs through the switcher? or can you install some DVD playback software and assign that as a source?

robewil
05-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Why not just use a DVD Player's S-Video out as a source? I really doubt you will be able to do what you are saying?

jcupp
05-12-2005, 06:19 PM
If you plug an Ext DVD drive into TriCaster, is their any way to playback DVDs through the switcher? or can you install some DVD playback software and assign that as a source?

The digital rights management built into all DVD player software (PowerDVD, WinDVD et al) prevents this from happening. So no, it's not possible. You would have to go in analog.

ise
05-13-2005, 06:44 AM
Hi,

I didnt mean commercial DVDs. (i know youve got the built in DDR playback). If you have your own archived stuff on DVD is it possable? Using analogue in means another quite large device, where as an Ext Firewire/USB DVD is quite small.

davechalmers
05-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi there 'ise' (Hooray! another signee on the PAL petition!)

Don't know the official answer, but I suspect, since a PC DVD player app would be drawing the video to the screen, that the only way to do it digitally would be to run the DVD app on a DIFFERENT PC, and use the iVGA app (over gigabit ethernet of course) to 'capture' the video into the tricaster at pixel-accurate resolution.

CAVEAT: I have read elsewhere that this kind of setup CAN do 30fps full-screen pixel-accurate video but of course I haven't seen it with my own eyes, so I can't be sure!!

The advantage of this approach is that you get the best quality decoding and scaling (assuming you are running on a fast PC) by doing it on a PC, and you avoid all copy protection/analog issues in the process.
Of course you need a second PC (!) but in most setups where you are doing PPT or similar you would have this anyway.

I suspect the underlying issue here is that we are meant to think of the Tricaster as more of a 'video appliance' that happens to be a PC rather than a PC that does video.

I guess this is the reasoning behind the decision to 'black box' the tricaster (i.e make it a closed system) - to try to avoid configuration issues and well meaning meddlers messing it up.

It seems very unlikely therefore that you would want to install a DVD player app or indeed any other app that would seriously tax the system from doing what it is set up do do, i.e. be a tricaster!!

The best advice seems to be to just forget it's a PC underneath
(As a Mac user I'm used to this kind of self-delusion!!)

:-)

Dave

jcupp
05-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi,

I didnt mean commercial DVDs. (i know youve got the built in DDR playback). If you have your own archived stuff on DVD is it possable? Using analogue in means another quite large device, where as an Ext Firewire/USB DVD is quite small.

It's not a matter of what kind of DVD you are trying to play, the DVD player software is designed to prevent you from doing this. And I doubt the IVGA capture will work either and for the same reason. But I'll try it when I get a chance and report back.