PDA

View Full Version : Live CG Workflow

05-12-2005, 01:47 PM
New VT4 Live user here. We've just installed it into our TV production Van which is mostly used for producing things like City council meetings and school board meetings for broadcast on our local cable tv channel. As someone who learned to edit on a Toaster 4000, I'm really impressed wtih the DDR capability so far.

Is there a specific workflow to use that will make sure it NEVER crashes? Apparently while typing in the meeting's agenda (as lower 3rds for every agenda item) it would crash so that you couldn't even type all the items in Pre-show. We ended up just using one generic locater/date lower 3rd.

I understand that a 4.5 version is on the way that specifically fixes the CG, but if you can't use this sucker live, then it should be called a "VT 4 Live." If there is a well know workflow Newtek should put it up on the FAQ.

Also, not that I've delved thru the whole manual yet...but, is there a way to directly call CG pages like on the old Amiga Toasters? With page numbers on the keypad?

Thanks to whoever responds!

-Rocky

kltv
05-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Are you using templates? We've actually had pretty good luck with the CG program. We edit pages on the fly during live shows as well as before the show. I know a lot of people have had problems with it crashing, and we have had a few. The crashes we've had always seemed to happen when adding pages from a template or trying to save a template. Instead, I try to just clone pages, rather than insert them from the templates. I don't think there is any workflow that is crash-proof though.

Kris

05-18-2005, 04:18 PM
crash-proof would be nice.
the darnedest thing, the next day I tried to type in the same info and had no problems. I'm not sure what I was doing differently from my operator. I was using the clone feature.

As for other workflows I've read about trying to use the DDR to play graphics back...Haven't yet had a chance to try that yet.

Mediaworx
05-19-2005, 11:07 AM
We use the DDR to play graphics back most of the time. Doing CG pages on the fly is risky. One wrong move and your done. The most notable being backspacing over existing text. We have found that by being very careful and methodical that CG works quite well. You just have to figure out your workflow ahead of time using worst case scenarios and stick to it. Can't wait for 4.5 though as we have no other CG at this time.

Mick Haensler
Mediaworx

jcupp
05-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Are you using templates? We've actually had pretty good luck with the CG program. We edit pages on the fly during live shows as well as before the show. I know a lot of people have had problems with it crashing, and we have had a few. The crashes we've had always seemed to happen when adding pages from a template or trying to save a template. Instead, I try to just clone pages, rather than insert them from the templates. I don't think there is any workflow that is crash-proof though.

Kris
I have had exactly the opposite experience, clicking the clone button almost guarantees a crash eventually! I make templates instead. I guess this is why it has been so difficult for NewTek to fix the **** thing.