PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.3 Discovery mode problem

Noclar7
05-12-2005, 09:00 AM
Gooday,

Its been a while since ive posted here soo, hello all once again.

Problem:

Installed 8.3 update :-> bang! runs in discovery mode

check licence key (OK)

uninstall drivers, take out usb dongle, reboot, go and find drivers online (pain since rainbow has merged), install drivers, reboot, plug in dongle, windows recognises and configures.

check licence key (OK)

Start LW -> bang! discovery mode

okay then.... check "new" sentinel licence monitor at (http://localhost:6002), its installed and running but cant see the dongle or keys.

My firewall is also open to it, plus I added the port to the firewall exceptions..

So does any anybody have any ideas or solutions ????

( I knew I should have waited to update :( )

gjjackson
05-12-2005, 09:54 AM
8.3 installs new Sentinel drivers. Be sure you install the Sentinel 7. driver Before installing Lightwave. Is it the new 7. drivers.

Noclar7
05-12-2005, 10:27 AM
yes the sentinel driver I installed was:

Sentinel Protection Installer 7.1.0.exe

spec24
05-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Newtek makes it awfully difficult for honest users of their software. Anyone and their brother can get a bootleg copy off the web. I see people posting things like this and it's really disappointing. I want to get a new USB dongle so I can use LW on my laptop but right now I can't afford the down time to ship my old dongle to them and wait for the new one. Not very good customer service.

gjjackson
05-12-2005, 11:42 AM
I have read about install issues with the Opterons. Otherwise post your specs and maybe we can go from there.

Cman
05-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Newtek makes it awfully difficult for honest users of their software. Anyone and their brother can get a bootleg copy off the web. I see people posting things like this and it's really disappointing. I want to get a new USB dongle so I can use LW on my laptop but right now I can't afford the down time to ship my old dongle to them and wait for the new one. Not very good customer service.

Me too and I can't either.

They should do like Avid.

Basically, they take a CC number and set up a bill payment for a 2nd license (or however many dongles you need), then ship the new dongle overnight FedEx, with a paid return envelope of overnight FedEx.
You then quickly swap dongles and ship back the old one.

If they don't get the old one within a week or so, and there's no trail of evidence like a tracking number, they then bill you for the 2nd license.

While I'd be nervous with Newtek having a charge against me "on hold", I'd rather take than risk than be down 2+ weeks waiting for a dongle in the mail.

spec24
05-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Me too and I can't either.

They should do like Avid.

Basically, they take a CC number and set up a bill payment for a 2nd license (or however many dongles you need), then ship the new dongle overnight FedEx, with a paid return envelope of overnight FedEx.
You then quickly swap dongles and ship back the old one.

If they don't get the old one within a week or so, and there's no trail of evidence like a tracking number, they then bill you for the 2nd license.

While I'd be nervous with Newtek having a charge against me "on hold", I'd rather take than risk than be down 2+ weeks waiting for a dongle in the mail.

I was told I would have to ship my dongle to them first. I wouldn't mind getting the dongle from them and being charged if I didn't send mine back but even after an email to their customer service trying to find some way around this I never heard back from them - only that I would have to ship them mine first :(

Noclar7
05-12-2005, 12:22 PM
System Specs:

Windows XP Pro, Service pack 2, with antispyware beta 1 installed
Firewall enabled with exceptions

Dual 2.6 GHz Xeon
2 GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX 1000
2 X 36 GB Ultra SCSI
1 X 80 GB ATA

Lightwave 7.5 a-c -> 8 -> 8.01 -> 8.2 -> 8.3

Cman
05-12-2005, 12:33 PM
I was told I would have to ship my dongle to them first. I wouldn't mind getting the dongle from them and being charged if I didn't send mine back but even after an email to their customer service trying to find some way around this I never heard back from them - only that I would have to ship them mine first :(

Yeah, me too.

Noclar7
05-13-2005, 07:32 AM
Soo, now.. day two.. anybody?

No common problems with solutions? Newtek? any ideas?

ednachman
05-13-2005, 09:36 AM
When you send Newtek a dongle they return it the same way. Meaning if you send it next day express that's how Newtek will return your dongle.

Noclar7
05-16-2005, 01:07 PM
bumping this thread....

still down on the 8.3... should I post this info in the sticky 8.3 bug forum? I know its a safenet issue, but if thats the protection they choose......

TARoe
05-16-2005, 02:07 PM
I had the same problem at first! Lightwave 8.3 installed, but I got an "Didn't install" notice on the Sentinal install.

I restarted my machine, then reinstalled the lighwave 8.3 download. -BUT- this time I said no to the "Fix your firewall" question. It worked.

Did you say no or yes to the firewall fix question in the sentinel install? If you said yes, try no instead.

PS - I have a parallel dongle as well.

3DEagle
05-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Hi,

I can offer no help...my ##¤%@ dongle does not work either...
...not when I tried to upgrade to 8.3 and not when I later reinstalled my whole workstation (WinXP) from scratch and then tried to install LW 8.0 from scratch...

Newtek...time to grow up swallow the pride and admit that the only ones that cant use your software are the ones that are actually paying for their licenses. Where is the dongle free 8.3b?

Enjoy Sunshine in Life

Ole E
Stockholm, Sweden

Noclar7
05-17-2005, 07:38 AM
hello again, thanks for the tips I'll give them a shot..

just to note, I have a usb dongle, and I did say "yes" to modifying my firewall settings, but I will try the "no" option now.

RJ

TARoe
05-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Let us know how it goes!

meatycheesyboy
05-23-2005, 07:49 PM
I had this same problem, and resolved it the same way. Rolled back Windows, selected no in the Rainbow install then 8.3 worked fine.

Noclar7
05-24-2005, 12:12 PM
still no luck, even after going back to 8.2, then installing 8.3 selecting no on the firewall option. Hel, even shutting off my firewall doesnt work so right now Im completely boggled.. its obviously a Safenet issue, but i really dont feel like spending time sitting on the phone ttoubleshooting dongle driver issues.. ugh... Newtek do you have any other options!!!! I'm going to have to roll back to 8.2 and just stick with that now due to upcoming projects now, but it twould be nice to use the new features

RJ

Noclar7
05-25-2005, 07:47 AM
okay, well I have 8.2 in, but I need the old rainbow drivers back now, and I cant seem to find them on the new "safenet" site. I also tried to see if I could install them off the 8.0 cd, but its asks me to uninstall everything before I continue. ( I was hoping i could just skip the app installation and just install the drivers ) They seem to be packed in a data.cab file so I cant get at them.

would anyone possibly have a link to the old drivers or an alternate source? This would suck if I have to take 2 steps back after trying to take one step forward.

Noclar7
06-07-2005, 11:11 AM
So I dig out my old 7.0 cd to get the old sentinal drivers, and even after uninstalling old drivers, rebooting, the works I get this install error. So Im thinking now, do i have to maybe format (has to be done soon anyways) to get lightwave working again, allthough I will be at end of the line if I do so and still cannot get LW working again.

I've been LWless now sinse the 8.3 update, please newtek, can you give me some advice! I can't put this off any longer!

Noclar7
06-10-2005, 08:03 AM
I have returned to LW 8.2 once again after a format, and installing from the 8.0 disk, then updating to 8.2. Funny thing though, the sentinel driver from the LW 7.0 install cd doesn’t work (gives me the install error) but the drivers on the 8.0 CD do. So that s a relief anyways, as I am now back to where I started. I will contact safenet on there site though, as 8.3 + the new safenet drivers still won’t relate properly, even after a complete format.

turbo
07-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Did you ever resolve this one? Getting 8.3 to work properly?

I just installed the PC version.. to take advantage of a plugin that doesn't work properly with Mac. .. and I get the same 'discovery mode' problem. It also shows my lock ID as something other than the one on my mac and in my registration info..

Any new ideas on how to solve this problem? Or should I just roll back to 8.2?

Noclar7
07-13-2005, 01:27 PM
No sorry, I still haven't been able to get it to work. Ive gone through newtek and safenet and nothing has been resolved.

I rolled back and am using 8.2, and dont really have the time or patience any more to try and get it to work. There are a few new plugs and enhancements that would help me but for the most part I've been mainly modeling, so just about every tool I need is there and functional.

Cheers,
RJ

turbo
07-13-2005, 01:28 PM
good enuff, thx

... am in the process of reinstalling 8.2

turbo
07-13-2005, 03:53 PM
did all that.. still no luck.. still tells me license key not found..
.. oh well.. have written an email to tech support.. hopefully a solution will emerge.

---ZENO---
07-15-2005, 07:54 AM
Hi,
I have this problem from time to time. I simply pull out my dongle then put it back in again, then load up LightWave.

I hope that helps you bud.

Cheers

turbo
07-15-2005, 10:24 AM
In my case it was a matter of requiring a new license key for my PC version. The dongle produced a different lock ID on the PC from the one on my mac. NewTek was kind enuff to supply me with one. Now I can use the plugins that are only available for pc and still do most of my authoring on my mac and Apple Cinema Display. yay! thanks, NewTek! :thumbsup:

WCameron
07-15-2005, 11:14 AM
dunno if this will work, but anyways:

if you have a stable, working version of lightwave 8 installed, or any update up to the one you want to install:

Run the installer to the latest version you want to update to. Select NO when it asks if you want to update the sentinal drivers.
Select the directory you want to install to. Click NEXT.
Now when it pops up what install format you want (Typical, Complete etc),
Jump out to the Windows Explorer, go to the drive you have your previous version of Lightwave installed to, Rename the folder (say X_Lightwave (8)
and create a new empty folder with the old name (Lightwave (8)).
go back to the installer and let it go through.

go into your renamed lightwave directory and copy out the Key and License files, and paste them into the new install.

fire it up and see if it works.

if it does, go back into your previous lightwave directory and copy out your config files presets plugins etc. I'd suggest doing it piece by piece, just remember anything you copy over always select NO if it wants to rewrite
any file (because you will be rewriting a NEW file with an OLD file) - for presets, plugins, etc. Basically copy the folders over 1 by 1.

this will bascially create a 'clean reinstall' at the end of the day. Clean
files from the updates, with anything that wasnt updated copied over
from your previous version - and no file attribute cant write to errors or whatnot. As long as you backup and pay attention to your renaming folders
its pretty safe.

If it fails, you can unisntall without your previous version getting messed up - you just rename the folder back to the original after you uninstall the 'clean' version.

easier than reinstalling - especially if you have it broken in and set up the way you like it. heh.

Just remmember, be careful! COPY and paste, not CUT! Backup, Backup, Backup!. its [ and not ( etc etc.

I actually have a dvd burnt with most of my previous installs. and Theoretically - baring Shortcut tracks and any other path issues, I could 'reinstall' any previous version if I needed to at short notice.
well, if I could find the danged thing I could......

As an aside - for this very perpose, I now have completely seperate PLUGINS (Legacy and Lscript folders added in) and CONTENT folders Outside the main Lightwave folder - thus each 'install' is about is in the area of 200 meg.

- Will.
Did I mention to Back Stuff Up?

turbo
07-15-2005, 12:15 PM
...seems i spoke too soon..
- reinstall, uninstall, search for all components, delete, reinstall..

.. still get the discovery mode.. or license key not found or program not responding..

<sigh> thats another 3 hours down the drain..

Whitehorse
07-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Yep,

I also am having the "Discovery" problem with the Rainbow Dongle not being seen on PC. Turns out that my dongle is a Rainbow Eve3, a Mac only dongle!

Recently sold off our G4s to buy P4s. Happy now. PCs are WAY more stable than the screwy Macs. So we upgraded to LW8 as reccomended by newtek customer service to move from Mac to PC. Oooops! Bad Dongle.

See if your dongle says Eve3 instead of Rainbow Pro on it. If so you will have to get a new dongle from newtek. I assume they will exchange these but I'm still waiting to hear from customer service.

Anyone who has found solutions to problems discussed in threads, please take the extra effort to post them in the thread for the rest of us....
Thanks

Horse

turbo
07-15-2005, 01:48 PM
boy... really hard to nail this one down..

.. well i inspected the dongle and its a Rainbow Duo, so i'm assuming that is prolly not the problem

(reminder: this is not a mac vs. pc thread, its a troubleshooting one)

.. went for a power walk, norton'd my pc, optimizing atm.. and will try again

turbo
07-15-2005, 04:42 PM
... tried again, on a completely clean optimized pc.

no worky.. shoots pc :2guns: throws pc out the window.. cries .. :cry:

... at least it works now.. i don't get the nasty 'program not responding'...
- its just that it says 'Discovery Edition' :(

Whitehorse
07-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Krabbity,

Can you save scenes in layout? Thats where the Discovery cuts me off...

Still waiting to hear from support...probably be monday...

Horse 8~

turbo
07-16-2005, 12:03 PM
no.. i can't save scenes.. but i was able to export a dts object.. which is the main reason i needed my pc version up and running.

i can do that with my mac too.. but there's an ifl option that only works with the pc version.

i'm hoping for a response from newtek next week too.

turbo
07-19-2005, 11:06 AM
OK! Its working now.. LW8, at least.. Still have to upgrade to 8.3 but at least this step is done.

The solution was, after a clean up and optimization of me pc, (as suggested by NewTek tech support) to go here (http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp) and get the newest and correct driver for the dongle. The read me says to uninstall any previous sentinel drivers, so I ran the uninstall option first. I installed the new driver, then inserted the dongle. Windows detected it saying new hardware was ready to use.

I launched Layout but it looked kinda funky.. had the wrong menu boxes at top. (bounding box) I clicked on the modeler button top right and got the not responding thing again.. So I quit and relaunched.

Everything came up roses this time.. Its all good, so far. No discovery mode, and can save..

turbo
07-19-2005, 11:23 AM
8.3 successfully installed and running on the pc! :thumbsup:

Exper
07-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Eh... after hinting (during last years) in not installing the NT's provided Sentinel driver I slided on the same banana peel: d**n idiot... I am! :bangwall:

I installed LW 8.3 (in a separate dir) for testing a in-developement-plugin and all previous LW version (7.5, 8.0.1 and 8.2.1) was magically switched to Discovery Edition; only LW8.3 was seen as a complete license. :thumbsup:

Uninstalledthe NT's diriver and then re-installed the SafeNet original: all LW versions are come back to life now. :I_Love_Ne

Exper
07-20-2005, 04:01 AM
I drawn up a brief guide for everyone interested:
Resolving LW's Sentinel Driver problems (http://3drecursions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149).

Hope it helps anyone around there. ;)

Noclar7
10-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Well, after months of grumbling and sticking with 8.2 because of the problems with the new drivers required for the 8.3 release, i decided to try again now that 8.5 is out to no avail once again. this really burns me.. Ive tried many solutions including the steps previously metioned by Exper. I mean, its not like im running anything bizzare for hardware. Boxxtech Rs5 dual xeon, quadro FX, 2 gigs ram. So any other ideas? or is my system just "one of the exceptions"....

JamesCurtis
10-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Didn't read any of the previous threads but was wondering if you had a bad or flaky port?

Noclar7
10-11-2005, 07:09 AM
hmm, I wouldn't think so but I can look into the possibility. Even though LW 8.2 will still run using the old drivers with the usb dongle on the same port so it seems unlikely.