PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 64bit w/edu price?

LWnexgen
05-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Will NT be offering LW64 with educational pricing. I'd like to get a 64bit proc. for y computer but the only way I'd be able to justify it would be if I could get LW64, and I can't afford a non-edu priced software package.

Kurtis
05-12-2005, 06:22 PM
When you buy LightWave (educational or commercial), you get a Mac OS X program CD and a Windows 2000/XP CD. When LightWave64 is released, the box will also include a Windows XP Pro x64 Edition program CD.

GregMalick
05-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Aloha Kurtis,

Will LW64 be a free update for those of us who already have a license?

Kurtis
05-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Registered owners of LightWave [8], yes.

color_trilogy
05-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Kurtis

Any idea when the beta wil start?

Kurtis
05-16-2005, 07:05 AM
It is in progress now.

gjjackson
05-16-2005, 07:57 AM
Is there a system requirement list somewhere. I don't have a 64 bit as yet. But I'd want to get one that LW would be compatible with, since that would be my only reason for getting that type of PC, especially since it is free for v8 users.

Kurtis
05-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Not yet. It's still a bit early for that.

mattclary
05-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Is there a system requirement list somewhere. I don't have a 64 bit as yet. But I'd want to get one that LW would be compatible with, since that would be my only reason for getting that type of PC, especially since it is free for v8 users.

gjjackson, pretty much any 64bit system you get will work well with LightWave, as long as it's not an Itanium. Get the most potent AMD64 you can afford, or one of the new Xeons that support the EM64T extensions. It's harder to tell "which" Xeons support this than it is to get an AMD64. The dual core chips are on the way, so you might want to hold off and consider that.

How swell does dual dual-core 64bit chips sound! :eek:

color_trilogy
05-16-2005, 08:54 AM
Kurtis

The open beta is started? Or internal closed beta testing? I've had my agreement submitted since the open beta was announced and haven't heard anything.

Sorry for the OT. LWnexgen.

gjjackson
05-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks Matt,

I know we're really getting off topic here.

I usually build my own systems and that's the reason for the question. I haven't kept up on the 64bit. So I wonder about all the accessories and the drivers for them. I haven't used XP so not sure about it. I had built a system years ago during some changes and had a hard time getting things to work properly. So maybe I should buy a pre-built system? I haven't really kept up with MB's lately either.

mattclary
05-16-2005, 05:51 PM
There is nothing all that special about a 64bit sytem. If you build it yourself, just try to make sure there are drivers available from the vendors of the parts. You can chack out anandtech.com (amongst others) to get more info on the latest tech.

Kurtis
05-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Kurtis

The open beta is started? Or internal closed beta testing? I've had my agreement submitted since the open beta was announced and haven't heard anything.

Sorry for the OT. LWnexgen.

No problem.

Where are you located? If you're in Europe, you'll need to check with them. If not, let me know, and I'll check with our program admin.