PDA

View Full Version : Save in WMV

fersoft
05-12-2005, 07:33 AM
How do I can render the animations in wmv?

JML
05-12-2005, 08:11 AM
something you can do is to render the anim in avi uncompress,
then download for free wmv encoder 9 from :

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-US&qu=wmv+encoder

(click on the first link)

this encoder will give you a lot of settings to encode your wmvs..

fersoft
05-12-2005, 08:18 AM
I would like to save in wmv directly of the lightwave.. doesn't any plugin exist?

Mylenium
05-12-2005, 12:24 PM
I would like to save in wmv directly of the lightwave.. doesn't any plugin exist?

Nope and I doubt that it could be done. Encoding to WMV is quite tricky to implement from what developers say...

Mylenium

Surrealist.
05-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Select Direct Show .avi rather than .avi in the "type" drop down. Clicking on Options will give you a wmv format though I am not sure it is what you need. Then there are other .avi WMV unfortunately none of them give you the control you need within LW unless the default will suffice.

Now on my machine none of the wmv would work. ("can't open file" eror message when trying to render anim) This may be because I do not have the direct show codec, I don't know. (If someone has an anwer to this chime in)

On the otherhand:

You can save as a .mov. With quick time in LW for some reason there are many options whereas avi there are little.

You can find a nice compressed option in QT say an Mpeg 4 or even adjust the settings for compression and size in other QT codecs available there.

There is really no good reason why LW should not be able to save to .wmv

wmv and Quick Time mpeg 4 seem to be the competing quality for size compressions curretnly.

What are you tryijng to do? Do you have to be windows media compatable?

JML
05-13-2005, 06:55 AM
for wmv, I think it's best to use the wmv encoder once your uncompress animation rendered.

this way you can convert your uncompress avi to a wmv file with a lot of different wmv settings and try which one is best..

what if you render you animation and directly save a wmv file from LW and you found out once it's finish that you chose the wrong settings and the quality is bad.. you would have to re-render it..

Captain Obvious
05-13-2005, 07:14 AM
In my opinion, you should always try to keep quality losses to a minimum. Thusly, it is better to render as a bunch of still images (I suggest PNG, since it's quite efficient and entirely lossless) and assemble them later. Encoding from one format to another (or from one format into the same) will make a big mess of your animation any way you cut it, even with good codecs.