PDA

View Full Version : FPrime and 8.3

spec24
05-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Anyone else noticed a slowdown with 8.3 working with FPrime's preview window?? I used to be able to drag area lights without so much as a stutter in LW before but now in 8.3 dragging an area light is really jerky.

Snosrap
05-11-2005, 10:05 PM
It does seem to be a lot slower. Clear your scene and start FPrime interactive viewer without anything loaded and moving any light but a distant light is real slow and jerky. The camera is silky smooth and a null moves around real nice, but not the lights. I tried the same test in 7.5d and the same exact thing. Not really sure what's going on, but it defiantly was smoother in 8.3 as I recall.

Cheers Snos

Librarian
05-12-2005, 01:25 AM
Yes, here too. I dunno what happened, but FPrime interaction is slower.

Captain Obvious
05-12-2005, 01:32 AM
What exactly is it that's slow? Is the Fprime window less sensitive to updates? Does Layout run slowly? Is Fprime's preview rendering slower? :confused:

mav3rick
05-12-2005, 04:43 AM
hmm didnt notice any difference.... hmmm render is fast as b4.. update is regulary but that depends on object setup and parent reletionship, targets etc...

spec24
05-12-2005, 08:32 AM
What exactly is it that's slow? Is the Fprime window less sensitive to updates? Does Layout run slowly? Is Fprime's preview rendering slower? :confused:

FPrime doesn't appear to be running slower, but it seems that the communication between LW and FP when something like an area light is moved around in the scene is causing ligthwave to stutter. You move or rotate the light and that movement is very incremental instead of smooth. This is really a downer because I just got FPrime and that's my main use for it - setting up area lights quickly - granted it is faster than doing it straight in LW but it used to be fun :(

spec24
05-12-2005, 08:34 AM
hmm didnt notice any difference.... hmmm render is fast as b4.. update is regulary but that depends on object setup and parent reletionship, targets etc...

Again it's not FPrime that's slow, it's LW that's slow while FPrime is open and you're using Area Lights. I haven't tested it enough to find anything else.

gjjackson
05-12-2005, 09:59 AM
I noticed FPrime uses a lot of CPU cycles. I find it best to pause it if I'm changing things. If you notice taskmanager shows 100% CPU usage.

spec24
05-12-2005, 10:44 AM
I noticed FPrime uses a lot of CPU cycles. I find it best to pause it if I'm changing things. If you notice taskmanager shows 100% CPU usage.

yeah but that's not why I bought it. I liked the fact I didn't have to pause anything and could tweak my lights just so and watch it update in real time as I moved it. Not pause.. move.. pause.. move. you know :)

Bytehawk
05-12-2005, 04:44 PM
before fprime was singlethreaded. Meaning if you have hyperthreading or 2 processors it would still leave enough headroom for other applications like LW to function smoothly.

As of 1.5 Fprime is mult threaded as well and uses a lot more processing power (and is faster) than before. The downfall for this is a less responsive system.

it would be rather cool if you could set affinity or controll the priority of fprime either in the windows thing or in fprime preferences. This is not possible atm.

wacom
05-12-2005, 05:23 PM
It has nothing to do with the mulit-threading. As of 8.3 LW's light control is slower. In Fprime everything updates fine, but things are chunky with lights in LW. I think it's with all lights too- not just area lights.

NewTek? What did you do? Who needs to fix this? Worley or you?

Snosrap
05-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Distant lights are fluid. Clear your scene and start FPrime and just move the lights. Without anything in your scene its still very clunky. Except of course Distant lights. Gotta think it's a LW issue.

Snos

spec24
05-13-2005, 06:44 AM
Distant lights are fluid. Clear your scene and start FPrime and just move the lights. Without anything in your scene its still very clunky. Except of course Distant lights. Gotta think it's a LW issue.

Snos

not here they aren't. It's only when FPrime's preview window is running.

spec24
05-14-2005, 08:38 AM
got rid of 8.3 - reinstalled LW 8 all over again. FPrime 1.5 with LW 8 acts just like it does with 8.3. Installed up to where FPrime was running great - 8.2.1, problem gone.

Para
05-14-2005, 11:31 AM
I've noticed that while FPrime Preview is active, dragging the green color component performs lousy when compared red and blue. Odd.

Snosrap
05-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Just installed the new 8.3 (with SDK update) that NewTek released today and FPrime interative mode kicks*** now!!

Snos