PDA

View Full Version : select object or objects...

at_626
05-11-2005, 05:12 PM
hi, i am new to lw... about a week now... and loved it!
but couple of questions... wondering can lw select an object/model at one click, and move freely around x, y, z(like in maya click and move bascially...) without go through ^polygon, connected and move tool(t) etc etc... i found that quite annoying go through select polygon and connected and move and have to click on clear area to deselect again... :( can just select the whole object/polygon at once, specially in same layer will getting really confusing with many objects... any advices will be much appreciated. :o

thankssssss :)

BeeVee
05-12-2005, 01:43 AM
You can use Drag (Ctrl t) with a falloff.

B

Surrealist.
05-12-2005, 04:41 AM
That's got to be one of the greatest tips lately.

Select the drag tool and have numeric panel open, then select Polygon as the fall off on the drop down list.

Then any object (contigous polys) you touch allows you to move just it.

Brilliant!

However, it won't work in shaded or perspective views, so I am not sure if it is the item asked for.

But brilliant just the same.

BeeVee
05-12-2005, 04:56 AM
If you are in a shaded mode you can drag by the centre of a single poly, if you are in wireframe you need to grab an edge or vertex, if you set the falloff to Radial Points and change the amount to 9999 then you will be able to move any connected geometry in a layer (that isn't more than 10,000m away!)

B
PS. You can do the same with Move and Rotate as well, just set the falloff and you don't have to select anything...

PPS. LightWave has had these abilities since v6.5b at least and probably from before...

SCS5
05-12-2005, 05:35 AM
fantastic!! Nice job BeeVee. Now, can we setup or make a button with these defaults for Move, Rotate, etc.

bcicio
05-12-2005, 07:25 AM
And don't forget a very basic LW rule. When nothing is selected in an active layer, EVERYTHING is selected in that layer when using any tool. As a newbie, I try to build the various parts (objects) of my model in separate levels, and then merge certain layers at the end of the project where I can. Might be a somewhat amateurish approach at times but, hey, I'm an amateur -- and proud of it! :)

Dodgy
05-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Also remeber you have a Dragnet(press ;) which is like drag, but has the falloff set by default. Magnet ( press :) has a falloff but it's stuck in one area till you move it with RMB

Surrealist.
05-12-2005, 02:01 PM
If you are in a shaded mode you can drag by the centre of a single poly, if you are in wireframe you need to grab an edge or vertex, if you set the falloff to Radial Points and change the amount to 9999 then you will be able to move any connected geometry in a layer (that isn't more than 10,000m away!)

B
PS. You can do the same with Move and Rotate as well, just set the falloff and you don't have to select anything...

PPS. LightWave has had these abilities since v6.5b at least and probably from before...

Actually it was late for me. Pollygon fall off is not the answer in any display mode, unless you have a square box - and then only in a wire not perspective because you can only pull one poly at a time. But you are spot on on the point radial - I am sure that's what you were refering to in the first place.

Actually, think of the fall off setting part of three basic core tools in Modeler.

Translate
Rotate
Tranform

These are the three categories you see in the default LW8 menu layout.

The only thing that makes MOST of the tools in these categories different is the fall off. It is also the thing that makes them the same.

In otherwords each tool in each category defaults to a different fall off setting which is what makes it unique. i.e. Rotate (None) Twist, (Lenear) Vortex (Point Padial) Or Move (none) Shear (Lenear) Drag (point) Dragnet (point radial) Magnet (radial) etc.

So since they all have the same fall off settings they are accessable from each tool without changing menu items within that category.

In the manual it says to think of the fall off settings as shortcuts to these tools.

Now there are some small exeptions. Bend for instance, gives you no fall off settings but you can do some bending type of moves with rotate using a fall off mode such as Lenear and Fixed as the range type. Not exactly a bend but the idea is you can do more things just under rotate, but bend is separate unique tool.

Then the Transform tools are separated into two basic categories Stretch and Size that work on one axes and two axes respectively and with a lenear fall off what makes the difference between Taper and Taper Constrain.

There are many other tools under More in each category some have this fall off interface.

Now here is the kicker!

ALL of these tools with this numeric interface with point radial selected and the radius set larger then the size of the contiguous mesh (object) you are trying to manipulate,(9999 is a great over all setting) work as the core tool in that category so that you can have access to the following tools without selection on multiple-object layers by clicking on a vertex in any type of view or shade and on any shape of object:

Move
Rotate
Size
Stretch

Nice one Ben!