PDA

View Full Version : LightWave [8] Special Upgrade Pricing

Kurtis
05-11-2005, 01:56 PM
The LightWaveŽ version 8.3 update is available for free download to registered LightWave [8] owners at http://www.lightwave3d.com/downloads/updates/lw83. LightWave 3DŽ Electronic Full is available for $1595US. From May 11 through June 30, 2005, registered owners of LightWave [7.5] or earlier are eligible to purchase an upgrade to LightWave [8] with PDF documentation for $250US ($350 with printed documentation). For more information or to purchase, visit: http://www.newtek.com/buynow or call NewTek Sales at 1-800-843-8934, overseas callers dial +1-210-370-8000. To locate a NewTek Authorized Reseller link to http://www.newtek.com/dealers.

Lewis
05-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi Kurtis!

Nice to see new upgrade prices but i'd like to know is that JUST for upgrade or I can buy another seat of LW for that price ???

thanks

Emmanuel
05-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Is this also gonna be available in Europe ?
That would be 195 Euro...and a reason for me to forget about my concerns and eventually do the upgrade from 7.5c to 8 ;)

harlan
05-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Kick ***.

I'll probably upgrade one of my older licenses with this offer, quick question however, the box that I'd be upgrading still uses the old "parallel port" dongle - how can I upgrade the dongle to a USB one while taking advantage of this offer?

Thx

lunarcamel
05-11-2005, 03:56 PM
That sold me - Ill be upgrading my extra seat of 7.5 - glad I waited ;)

I need to upgrade the dongle as well - contact CS and they will help you.

Kurtis
05-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Lewis,

This pricing is upgrade only.

Emmanuel,
Yes, this special will be available in Europe.

harlan,
Please contact Customer Service. I believe a dongle swap is free, if it is done at the same time as a paid upgrade.

wacom
05-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Answered my own question!...whoops

harlan
05-11-2005, 06:11 PM
harlan,
Please contact Customer Service. I believe a dongle swap is free, if it is done at the same time as a paid upgrade.

Cool. Thx Kurtis.

Emmanuel
05-12-2005, 05:48 AM
This pricing is upgrade only.

Emmanuel,
Yes, this special will be available in Europe.

Deal :D !

colkai
05-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Shouldn't that be Steal! :p
I know a friend of mine hasn't upgraded to LW8 yet - but boy - this offer is proving very tempting to him.
I'm tryin my best to turn the final screw so he caves in and upgrades ;)

handron
05-13-2005, 10:59 AM
SOLD! :D As a hobbyist its too hard to pass up. I had been thinking: do I buy Z Brush, Modo, or upgrade my LW. I decided to buy Z Brush (got it yesterday) then later maybe Modo, but now with that deal I will be getting my LW upgraded and be done with it. I will now simply put my trust in the hands of Newtek that in the near future they will implement the newer technologies in Modeler. Ahh, leave me alone. A fellow can dream can't he. ;)

monovich
05-13-2005, 11:51 AM
We just updgraded an old seat we had laying around (6.0). Great deal.

thanks!

-s

drclare
05-13-2005, 02:33 PM
I just upgraded to 8 a week ago at the old price after waiting almost a year to upgrade, now I find that there is a significantly lower price. Can I get a refund or something? If I had known about this promotion coming up I would have waited another week.

Emmanuel
05-14-2005, 11:31 AM
I just decided to actually skip this excellent offer because I feel that
8.5 might be coming for Siggraph, and it probably will be a paid upgrade, so
I guess that I will have to pay 495.- bucks for it anyway.No reason for me
to spend 230 Euros now and again 500 in 4 months.
I will wait.

colkai
05-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Gotta say Emmanuel, I'd be stunned if 8.5 was a paid upgrade.
To date, I don't recall Newtek ever charging for a ".5" update, plus, I'm reasonably sure that the upgrade to 8.0 was inclusive of any "point" upgrades. May be worth you asking Newtek directly to avoid missing out on this deal.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-14-2005, 01:20 PM
They need revenue though, don't they? I too assumed Newtek would be selling an upgrade at Siggraph.

retinajoy
05-14-2005, 01:26 PM
They need revenue though, don't they? I too assumed Newtek would be selling an upgrade at Siggraph.

Lightwave 9 :D

Chris S. (Fez)
05-14-2005, 02:48 PM
That would be welcome! :)

badllarma
05-14-2005, 03:22 PM
I'd love this if it applied to my Lightwave version with my toaster 2 (which by the looks of it does not :( ), still good for those who have not got 8 :)

3DBob
05-14-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm finally going to upgrade one of my other licences when this offer is live in europe - I'll need a dongle swap too as there is no Parallel port on my new Dell Laptop! (means I'll have to re-register all those plugins.

Cheers for this Newtek - can't wait for 9!

3DBob

Emmanuel
05-15-2005, 06:22 AM
Hi, its live now in europe actually !
But I'll skip that also because of the bugs and stability issues.
Some of my german LW fellows got really mad about 8.3, and I am really not
in the modd for more bugs and half-baked features, thanks.
LW 7.5c runs just fine, so i am gonna play the wait&see game...offers like these come back every once in a while....

Kurtis
05-16-2005, 05:39 AM
I just decided to actually skip this excellent offer because I feel that 8.5 might be coming for Siggraph, and it probably will be a paid upgrade, so
I will wait.

We did not charge for 6.5 or 7.5, and there are no plans to change that for any releases related to [8].

mattclary
05-16-2005, 05:58 AM
I just decided to actually skip this excellent offer because I feel that
8.5 might be coming for Siggraph, and it probably will be a paid upgrade, so
I will wait.

Well, Kurtis has already spoken, but I'll chime in: Why the **** would you think that? :confused: If anything, Newtek has become MORE generous (read competitive) of late, there is no way in **** that they would start charging for point releases.

retinajoy
05-16-2005, 06:54 AM
LW 7.5c runs just fine, so i am gonna play the wait&see game...offers like these come back every once in a while....

Now this is a good reason why Newtek should have a demo available. So your customers like Emmanuel above who are considering an upgrade can try it and discover why it really is worth upgrading :) . Plus all those others looking for an alternative who want to try LW but end up choosing software who have demos they can try out instead.

handron
05-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Well, Kurtis has already spoken, but I'll chime in: Why the **** would you think that?

I thought exactly like Emmanuel. The only thing I know of Newtek is what I've learned since I purchased LW 7.5. After seeing all the issues with the split with core programmers, the delays and bugs in 8.0, along with the many dissatified comments about the company's future, one has a little hesitation. Sure most is hearsay but for those not as intimate with the companies background I think we tend to be a little nervous.

All companies need revenue and many charge for a few added new features and call it a paid upgrade. I am surpised that Newtek stays afloat because of their generous nature. I too was afraid they were going to start a new post with "Due to the increased need for funding the on going developement of LW we are now going to start charging for mid-point (.5) releases". Glad that's cleared up. :)

Ztreem
05-16-2005, 10:40 AM

I must say that my 8.3 havn't crashed even once... yet.
I feel like it's more stable than 7.5, what I can recall.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Free is fine with me! But I still don't see how Newtek can afford to release another gratuitous upgrade.

Lewis
05-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Free is fine with me! But I still don't see how Newtek can afford to release another gratuitous upgrade.

Heheh you forget that NewTek isn't producing only LightWave, they have other products to fund their development of LW if needed. Anyway why to worry about it if they aren't worryed :)?

starbase1
05-19-2005, 02:32 AM
OK, I had passed on the upgrade before - I felt my money was better spent on some other tools. But this really is too good a deal to miss, and has got me back in the fold.

As a brit, where do I go to get my upgrade?

And does this release require the new dongle? My current 7.5 is chugging along happily with the old style one...

Thanks Newtek!
:)

starbase1
05-19-2005, 02:39 AM
Wah! Just took a look at the Newtek Europe site, and it looks even better!

If we europeans order before the end of the month, we get the printed manuals thrown in for the price of the electronic ones!

Thats a big thank you from me!

THANK YOU!

spec24
05-20-2005, 07:09 AM
I'm finally going to upgrade one of my other licences when this offer is live in europe - I'll need a dongle swap too as there is no Parallel port on my new Dell Laptop! (means I'll have to re-register all those plugins.

Cheers for this Newtek - can't wait for 9!

3DBob

This is really aggrivating on Newtek's part. They will not send you a replacement dongle until you have already shipped yours back. So if you're a one person studio with one license then you'll have down time while waiting for your new dongle - instead of Newtek maybe holding your credit card number until they receive your old dongle after they sent you the new one first.

mattclary
05-20-2005, 07:20 AM
And does this release require the new dongle? My current 7.5 is chugging along happily with the old style one...

It doesn't. I'm using 8.2 (haven't downloaded 8.3 yet) with a parallel dongle.

spec24
05-20-2005, 07:48 AM
never mind this post - accidental posting :)

jds580s
05-20-2005, 08:03 AM
This is really aggrivating on Newtek's part. They will not send you a replacement dongle until you have already shipped yours back. So if you're a one person studio with one license then you'll have down time while waiting for your new dongle - instead of Newtek maybe holding your credit card number until they receive your old dongle after they sent you the new one first.

Is that a new thing? When I upgraded to [8] (when it first came out) I did a parallel > USB dongle swap and they shipped me the USB first, then gave me 2 weeks or so to get the parallel back to them.

spec24
05-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Is that a new thing? When I upgraded to [8] (when it first came out) I did a parallel > USB dongle swap and they shipped me the USB first, then gave me 2 weeks or so to get the parallel back to them.

Must be because I've requested this twice and both times have been told that I have to ship mine back first, then they would have some kind of ticket and then send my new USB dongle back.

did they exchange it for freee or did they charge you?

Earl
05-20-2005, 10:10 AM
If you exchange at the time of a paid upgrade, the Parallel to USB dongle switch is free (from what I hear, I'm still using my Parallel one).

Chuck
05-20-2005, 02:33 PM

Are you in the US?

lunarcamel
05-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Im in the same boat - I want to upgrade the dongle but I can't spare even a day without LW. A credit card holder would be nice ;)

Chuck
05-20-2005, 03:38 PM
The US office does offer cross-ship - if you are in the US and were told cross-ship was not available, that's not correct. Please accept our apologies for the confusion, and contact Customer Services, and if necessary you can ask to speak to the manager.