PDA

View Full Version : Bring in your own Lower Third's

tiff1967
05-11-2005, 11:43 AM
We use Digital Juice and would like to make our own lower third for scoreboard. Is there a way to do this? :cool:

Paul Lara
05-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Yes, but not as easily as you'd like.
Each template is in a folder with two files...one bitmap image and an Initialization.Toasterscript file that defines the text font and position.

the folders are in C:\TriCaster
Skins
BlackboxDesktop
LIVE_TAB
SetupTabs
Overlay_Tabs
MainArea
_ALL TEMPLATES_

tiff1967
05-12-2005, 09:49 AM
I will have to take a look at those folder. Sounds like I can make changes to the current ones I already have also. I guess I would have to contact Digital Juice to see what kind of files they create. Thanks for you help.

tiff1967
05-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Paul

I just found some CG's in the edit mode. and can make changes to them. Is it possible to copy those to the overlay folder. How does it end up in my add overlay list. Does it make a toaster file?

Thanks for your help

Faraz
05-15-2005, 06:56 PM
The CG pages in the Edit mode are very different to the ones created in the Overlay module. They can't really be moved into the overlay. Anything you want to put into the overlay module must be exported images with some TScript, put into the directory that Paul was refering you to...

xerxesnon
05-18-2005, 09:14 AM
What about animated lowerthirds built in Digital Juice/etc.? The only way I could fake it is by importing the AVI file into the VCR then using a standard text overlay on top of that - however the big issue with this method is that it's more bumper than "true" lower third - as there is no alpha.

Any ideas? Am I missing a DSK option like in VT4?

Faraz
05-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Correct you can not have motion in your Overlay/DSK files. However you could try playing it in the player and then pulling a luma key or something... :cool:

tiff1967
05-18-2005, 04:26 PM
If by some chance I make the Photshop file. What are the next steps to get this as an overlay file for live switching. Could someone give me the instructions on how to make the TScript and there is also a file called toaster???

This will be a big help. Is there any updates coming out.

Also one thing would be nice to have on the tricaster would be a pause button during the live switching for recording.

Bob

nicholgh
05-25-2005, 02:54 PM
I've had my TriCaster for two days and I am impressed with its ease of use.

I am very disappointed with the overlay functionality. I was told at NAB 2005 by a NewTek rep that while using the TriCaster the user can import their own image files with alpha channels to use as overlay lower thirds. He said there was a "tutorial online" that explained exactly how to do this. According to NewTek Technical Support this is not possible. :mad: They said MAYBE in the future they will offer something.

If anyone knows any ways around this I would appreciate the info.

Here's what I've done so far.
I made a 720x482 .tga with our lower third placed on a chroma green background. Using the Chroma Key, I can place the lower third over Camera 1, 2 or 3. BUT, this eliminates the ability to use any of the Transitions. All cuts have to be straight cuts using the live buttons. This is obviously not acceptable, if I want to use our lower third I can't use any transitions...!? :mad:

My next idea is to go into the Overlay directory in XP. And change one of the .png files to be entirely alpha so I can still use the text fields to do an "text only" overlay, which would go over my chroma fix.

Any thoughts anyone...? :confused:

jcupp
05-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Try creating a full screen graphic where the top 2/3 of the screen is transparent, save it as a PNG (TGA will probably work also) and load it into the "InsertImageFullPage" template on the TriCaster.

It's that simple, no tutorial needed.

nicholgh
05-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks that helps with the transistions issue. BUT...If I want to change the text (ex: the current date) I still have to take the image into Photoshop to change the text. I'm looking for a solution that allows me to alter the text with in the TriCaster interface.

jcupp
05-26-2005, 01:36 PM
For that you will have to rig up a custom template. I haven't tried this yet but I'm guessing it is pretty easy to replace the graphics in an existing template.

nicholgh
05-26-2005, 02:04 PM
I have been taking the .tga files out of their directories on the TriCaster, loading them into Photoshop on my laptop, and dropping them back in. They do get replaced inside the TriCaster interface but the Alpha Channels do not behave the same way in both programs.

I take the .tga into Photoshop, create a new layer and erase the original layer, so now I have a tranparent image of the original dimentions. Then I drop my lower third onto the transparent canvas, flatten the layers and drop it back in the TriCaster Lower Third Directory. The TriCaster software recongnizes the changes but it still references the old alpha properties. Is it referencing the alpha information from somewhere else?....

Thanks for the feedback. :)

tiff1967
05-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Sounds like we have the first steps to make our own overlay. We would like to make them for use on a scoreboard up in the right corner.

Tarheel Cougar
05-26-2005, 06:40 PM
I have been taking the .tga files out of their directories on the TriCaster, loading them into Photoshop on my laptop, and dropping them back in. They do get replaced inside the TriCaster interface but the Alpha Channels do not behave the same way in both programs.

I take the .tga into Photoshop, create a new layer and erase the original layer, so now I have a tranparent image of the original dimentions. Then I drop my lower third onto the transparent canvas, flatten the layers and drop it back in the TriCaster Lower Third Directory. The TriCaster software recongnizes the changes but it still references the old alpha properties. Is it referencing the alpha information from somewhere else?....

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Did you make an alpha channel in photoshop? As in, next to the Layers tab, there is a channels tab, and you need to have an alpha channel there. You can create a new channel just like a layer by clicking on the icon next to the trash can, or the easiest way to do this is select what you want to be solid on all layers with the magic wand, go to Select > Save Selection, make sure channel is New, and hit OK. It will create a black and white matte channel named Alpha 1 you can edit. You must then save it as a 32-bit TGA for it to work.

tiff1967
05-27-2005, 06:01 AM
If anyone does get any new overlay files to work, can we post those files on here so others can download them?

nicholgh
05-31-2005, 09:54 AM
Did you make an alpha channel in photoshop? As in, next to the Layers tab, there is a channels tab, and you need to have an alpha channel there. You can create a new channel just like a layer by clicking on the icon next to the trash can, or the easiest way to do this is select what you want to be solid on all layers with the magic wand, go to Select > Save Selection, make sure channel is New, and hit OK. It will create a black and white matte channel named Alpha 1 you can edit. You must then save it as a 32-bit TGA for it to work.

Thanks Tarheel Cougar,
That was the issue. Once I created a new alpha channel it behaved the same in both programs. I had been creating new alpha layers but the alpha channel was still there I guess.

Thanks to everybody that helped! :D