PDA

View Full Version : wich version of LW do you use ?

operation
05-11-2005, 02:33 AM
Hi folks,

I would like to know wich version of Lw are you using in production and for "personal" use.

Me: For testing I use v8.2 and of course 8.3 for testing only but I still use v 8.0.1 for work projects.

When v8.2 was out I upgraded Lw (8.01, 8.1, 8.2 , 8.2.1 ...) but I went back to 8.0 for work and get more stability.

I have seen that some people still using 7.5c ( wich is very stable version for me without major improvements Vs 8.0 but good in production ).

Are you in the same case ?

ps: it's not an obligation to use all the new features of LW. that's why I can understand that people still use v7.5 maybe 6.5 because they don't make character animation, this or that ... and that this version is enough for the project they have to do.

This question is to see if people prefere to secure a production pipeline to be safe from new bugs ( and of course prefere to keep old bugs and use work-around) or prefere to integrate fresh update keeping the risk to discover new bugs during the production.

Sincerely, Operation.

try do be explicit about your choise, thanks.

Even if you use a complementary tool with the reason.

ie: LW 7.5 (render+modeling) + messiah (character animation)
LW 8.0 + Maya (cloth+dynamics)
Lw5.6(Modeling)+Lightscape ( radiosity )
etc...

Will be very helpfull to know why and what we use in LW.

Jeff_G
05-11-2005, 07:14 AM
The studio I work for uses Lightwave 7.5. Personally I also use Lightwave 7.5. We have no plans to upgrade the Lightwave seats.

We're adding other software to our pipeline, that will eventually replace Lightwave.
Lightwave 7.5 was the most stable and predictable version, that's why we are using it. 7.5c was giving us **** with the render farm. We're doing more and more character work, and Lightwave just isn't cutting it anymore.

Lightwave, After Effects, XSI

mattclary
05-11-2005, 07:51 AM
So, at what point do you decide new bugs are worth the upgrade? Do you only upgrade to whole numbers? What about new bugs in that version? :rolleyes:

operation
05-11-2005, 08:30 AM
thank you Jeff-G for your contribution ! I appreciate.

Hard to decide at wich time to upgrade ... Last version doesn't mean best version !
I will give an exemple ..
I do a lot of render for TV ... as you know LW had this bug od field rendering during (8.01......8.2.1 ) (I didn't test field with version 8.3 ).

I upgraded my lightwave during January ... and had the bad experience to see that I was unable to render correctly for TV !!!... the only good reason to upgrade now is to correct this bug ... (I don't need other features .. I can still work a version 7.5) and don't forget that some people did fantastic things with LW 7.xx before the version 8.0.

It's hard to upgrade easily with Lw situation and Nt upgrade strategy: I will not write a long tread about that because I did it before ... but you can make the choise of:

1) spend more time to correct bugs (to have less bug in your product).

Or

2) spend half of the time correcting bugs and the rest half time to add features.

As you can understand with the 1th choice you can upgrade without doubt, you will have less features, less bugs,more stable version.

in the second case .... you know you will have new features+corrected bugs+ news bugs.

Because in my case I don't need all the new features of the version 8.x (for now), because I animate and I render in other applications. I use only the modeler of LW. Then even a version 6.0 of the modeler is enough for me !

That 's why my question comes: what is your pipeline ? wich version do you use ? Like this we be able to understand if people prefere to stay on an old version .. upgrade or choose to use other application because they don't feel confortable with LW.

to Mattclary:
And you Mattclary, what is your pipeline ?

cheers.

Operation

37 guys read the thread but only 2 answers ? hummm ... maybe I will post to Spinquad forum .. more active

CB_3D
05-11-2005, 08:45 AM
8.2 at work (not me paying upgrades,LOL) and 5.6 at home (me paying...Yikes)! And i even still have one 3.5 Alpha dongle somewhere...

Rich
05-11-2005, 08:52 AM
I use 8.2 at home. I haven't upgraded to 8.3 yet. But at work I use LW 7.5 because we haven't got it in the budget yet to upgrade. Probably next year.

I like 8.2 a lot because of the new subpatch UVs. As far as stability, the only problems that I have with 8.2 are when UV mapping. Sometimes it will crash when going from one layer to another when I had just created a new UV map. This doesn't cause much problems because I have made it a habit to save before doing this.

At my job, 7.5 does just fine for the type of work I do which is mainly flying logos. I do on occasion get to do some character animation for special projects.

I will soon upgrade to 8.3 especially if there is an upgrade for FPrime soon to take advantage of the new SDK improvements.

Exception
05-11-2005, 08:59 AM
I found 8.2.1 to be the stablest version yet.
Scenes made with 8.3 tend to crash 8.2.1 though...
Very nasty.

shadowshifter
05-11-2005, 09:09 AM
8.3 ... I recently bought 8 (yay finally) and went upgrade happy before I even began working in it :P

Paul_Boland
05-11-2005, 01:50 PM
I've just downloaded the 8.3 upgrade. I'm still in the early stages of learning Lightwave after buying it a few months back. No master pieces created yet, but I'm getting there.

Lewis
05-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Hi !

I'm using 8.2 since day one (and 8.2.1 when it was available) and i finished several projects in it with no problems. I couldn't do it that fast in 7.5 nor 8.0 or 8.0.1 simple because 8.2 has so much improved UV tools and i was doing lot of UVmapping in last projects so FREE MOVE in UV window helped me very much and subpatch UVs are also fantastic.

I'm still testing 8.3 but so far so good and i'm planing to switch to 8.3 with next projects :).

But i still have several versions installed (7.5c, 8.0.1, 8.2.1 and now 8.3) so i can go back if i really need to avoid some bugs in newest version before NT squash it ;).

Snosrap
05-11-2005, 06:24 PM
8.3 is working great here. I kept my old cfgs and discovered some of the new features were missing, so I bit the bullet and deleted it and re-scanned the plug-ins just to make sure I'd catch everything. Only bummer is I had to redo all my keyboard short cuts and my left, middle and right mouse button shortcuts. But this was the perfect opportunity to re-think my workflow and I think I'm better off now. NewTek seems to be on a roll right now, and the $295 upgrade offer would be hard to refuse, and for the life of me I don't see why anyone would not want to upgrade, even at $495. I am really satisfied and LW has never been more stable, I've used it since 5.5 roughly 9hrs. a day and I can honestly say that 8.3 is the best yet. The dynamics are decent, the modeling great, the new UV tools are a very nice improvement. Sure it still has some quirks, but NewTek is heading in the right direction and I think the latest upgrade offer is just a nice little nudge to get some users off the fence. Go for it guy's I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Oh and did I mention that LW no longer crashes when clearing or loading a scene!

Cheers Snos

-NG-
05-12-2005, 02:54 PM
8.3 here for all kind of things, still haven't had time to test it out, to busy with photoshop and some motion graphics creation in AF.

Maya unlimetd 6.5 for the nice fur and liquids. :) Cinema4d for everything also.

I found that of all the apps i use, LW modeler is the ultimate and fastest IMO.

Wade
05-12-2005, 03:55 PM
8.3 Work
8.3 Home

90% of my is spent in modeler - 98% is modeling Architecture, then I Render and buff in Photoshop a little.

Thunderb
05-15-2005, 05:09 AM
I still use my Amiga 4000 and a copy of Lightwave 3.5 :D

juice
05-15-2005, 06:25 AM
at home I use 6.5. At work we have 7.5, actually they are not updating Lw because they switched to Modo for modelling and Xsi for rendering/animation

JML
05-15-2005, 10:11 AM
we use 8.2.1 at work, I use 7.5d at home..

cresshead
05-15-2005, 03:03 PM
hi,
8.2 for pc at home and 7.5 for illustration work &college teaching...

i have bought another seat of lightwave [8.0] but wiull need the downgrade that to version 7.5 as version 8.0 on my new mac is unusable in modeler as there is no selected points shown...even with updating to 8.3 or upgrading the o/s to a full combo 10.3.9 which is VERY disapointing seeing as i would like to create dvd training content on my mac for lightwave but will have to ditch that idea for now. :mad: ....oh well....i'll have a look at silo instead and modo demo version!

juice
05-15-2005, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=cresshead]...version 8.0 on my new mac is unusable in modeler as there is no selected points shown...QUOTE]

... if I understand you right, you have an graphic card problem with your mac ! have you test other driver ? I am sure you can fix that...

cresshead
05-15-2005, 05:16 PM
no......i do not have any graphics card problem...
i have a lightwave 8.0+ problem running on a mac platform.

as previously stated lightwave 7.5 is fine..you know , actually works!...and displays as it should do...newtek BROKE the display funtions for points in any shaded mode with the release of lightwave 8.0 and above for quite a few mac users such as mac mini, ibooks, emacs etc...

they have [newtek] stated that upgrading to 8.3 fixes it...it does not.
they have [newtek] stated that upgrading to osx10.3.9 combo fixes it...it does not.

so...after spending £600 on a mac mini and £320 on a seat of lightwave specifically for running on my mac....i have a rather unusable result...my only option currently is to ask to go backwards to lightwave 7.5 with my new lightwave 8.0 dongle.

or pray that newtek can actually fix this or give me a free imac g5?

F1Racer
06-11-2006, 04:17 AM
Started out on LW3.0 on Amiga.

As of today, 8.3 here. Tried 8.5 but it caused me a lot of problems so I reverted back to 8.3 and its fine.

badllarma
06-11-2006, 04:45 AM
Work / Home 8.5 and 9.0 beta.....................(same site and licence).

You guys all on Macs? Never come acroos the stablity issues every one seem to be having issues with to be honest hardly used 8.5 since 9.0 beta came out gone back to 8.5 for a couple of things but last two beta releases have been good for me.

Lightwolf
06-11-2006, 06:20 AM
9.0 and 9.0 ... I've had three projects on it so far. We had 8.5 in use before that.

I tend to switch to new versions early (but always have a "fall back" previous release installed).

Cheers,
Mike

T-Light
06-11-2006, 07:00 AM
Nine, most stable version for me yet.

papou
06-11-2006, 07:11 AM
we are on PC.
we use 8.3 (fieldrendering is ok, only the frame 1 is not fielded corectly in this version)
we don't use 8.5 cause of the Spinning Jitter problem.
lw9 look stable (per example, both bugs are corected) ...but because new bug can be generate, we are waiting the real release.

we are planning to start switching this year, depend of lw 9.x road...

BazC
06-11-2006, 07:11 AM
as previously stated lightwave 7.5 is fine..you know , actually works!...and displays as it should do...newtek BROKE the display funtions for points in any shaded mode with the release of lightwave 8.0 and above for quite a few mac users such as mac mini, ibooks, emacs etc...

I have the same problem, it's fixed in LW9! :D

Matt
06-11-2006, 08:15 AM
8.3 at work, 8.5 at home. Only use 8.3 at work because of the OpenGL transparency bug in 8.5.

shemp
06-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Started with LightWave 5, upgraded through the 6x & 7x series. I happily stayed at 7.5d until now with the new 9. From what I heard & saw with the 8x series, I skipped it altogether. 9 seems nice so far, especially coming from 7.5d.

Shemp

animotion
06-11-2006, 11:12 AM
I am an upgrade addict, so 9 course.

Ratboy
06-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Work and home are the same location for me, so I'm using 8.5 at both. :cool:

Currently, I'm hip deep in making watertight meshes for rapid prototyping, which is both fun and infuriating all at the same time...

prospector
06-11-2006, 01:04 PM
9 for me
cept 1 plugin that I need and it's on 5.5, so that too, and 3.5 on the Amiga flyer, and 7.5 on the VT4.6

jevinstudios
06-11-2006, 07:25 PM
8.5 for me (2 seats). retired from commercial production last year and am doing 3d for personal purposes now (and some occasional side jobs). since my upgrades are no longer deductible for business purposes (and the expense is outta my pocket from here on out), will be sticking with 8.5 for the time being (not planning on doing the 9 thing...). have a nice set-up as it stands now, and 8.5 meets all my needs. am happy where i'm at.

lw 8.5 w/ bodypaint 2.5 standalone
after effects
photoshop
painter
z brush 2
premiere

Nicolas Jordan
06-11-2006, 09:05 PM
I am using 8.5 for my projects until the official release of 9.0.

Signal to Noise
06-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Use: 8.5
Play: [9] RC2

Bog
06-12-2006, 02:11 AM
I've been using 9 exclusively in production for about a month now. It makes for a fun life that certain things happen much more quickly, offset (at the moment) by "Oooh! What does that do?" syndrome ;)

Rayek
06-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Lightwave 9 PC for two months now for a realtime history project. Very stable... Also beta-testing the PimTools plugin. I think this will be a reason for people to jump back on the Lightwave wagon.

Earl
06-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Version 9, RC2. I normally wait until an official release before switching to a new version, and often I wait until after the first patch, but there are just too many things in version 9.0 that I don't want to live without. :D

GandB
06-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Lightwave 8.5 all the way, baby:D I'm going to wait a bit, and get my feet wet with this version before moving on up to V9. I just ordered a book the other day, so I can break my TS habit and get into LW full-time.

-Keith

Lizard Head
06-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Just upped my 5.6c to 8.5...... what a difference !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colkai
06-13-2006, 03:12 AM
Hi folks,

I would like to know wich version of Lw are you using in production and for "personal" use.

Well, as I don't work in 3D but in software, I only have personal, but at the moment, I'm running 8.5 along side LW9RC2. For my own stuff, I am leaning more to using LW9 but where I am doing stuff for the Shirow Project, I keep to LW8.5 as it is more compatible with older versions which some team members run.

If it were up to me, I'd likely drop all my older LW8 installations and stick to LW9 which is at least as stable as LW8.5 if not more so, and a durn sight more fun too. :)

Some of the team are on 7.5 so there is a resource sharing issue to contend with until I can brainwash everyone into moving into LW9 :p I can only imagine what could be done with the added power, but for now, that power will have to be kept out of our project alas.

Morgan2
06-15-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm pretty sure I upgraded to 8.2.1 but I'm not sure how to tell! I've been away from my LightWave for a while (and even forgot my old account info here).

I'll update to 8.5 but I haven't gotten around to it since LW has been good to me as is.

Bog
06-16-2006, 01:23 AM
I'm being forced to use 8.5 at a client's place at the moment.

It's like Phantom Limb Syndrome - I keep reaching for panels that aren't there.

Lew
06-16-2006, 05:59 AM
Using LW9 since first beta, now can't remember anything else.
Agree wity Bog, had to use 8.5 the other day, was totally disoriented.

F_GX
06-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Recently updated from 6.5 to 8.5.

Boy! What a huge difference. Having quite some problems with the new interface.

However, due to the GeForce / Ahtlon X2 compatibility issue, i got bigger problems with stability than with fast workflow.

I think i'll need to read through the manual and of course i'll need some time to get used to it.

By the way, i had to do a lot of customizing, too. And i didn't find some functions yet, like "skin" and even global illum is hidden for my eyes :stumped: however, i got to open it via the "lights" tab -> global illum :dance:

Also the whole button complex of undo, paste, cut and so on was not there by default in Modeler. Didn't like that,
but it's no big deal of course.

es grüßt euch,
Tobias

StereoMike
06-22-2006, 01:36 AM
Hi Tobi,
at least in 9 the keys changed to ctrl+z for undo and ctrl+x, +c, +v for cut/copy/paste.
Maybe it has been like that even since 8.xx (can't remember, used 9beta all the time).

Gruß
Micha

Lightwolf
06-22-2006, 04:44 AM
Hi Tobi,
at least in 9 the keys changed to ctrl+z for undo and ctrl+x, +c, +v for cut/copy/paste.
Maybe it has been like that even since 8.xx (can't remember, used 9beta all the time).

It has been like that since 8.x - and imho it was one of the most stupid moves to change those ... but that's me ;)

Cheers,
Mike

StereoMike
06-22-2006, 05:46 AM
Yeah, felt that way too, but I adapted to it, cause I got tired of changing it the whole beta cycle thru. And all the other softwares uses the same keys now.

But that monkey grip for an undo bugs me, cause on our german keybords z is in the middle and you get bad athritis after some errors you had to undo.

Mike

lots
06-22-2006, 07:36 AM
It has been like that since 8.x - and imho it was one of the most stupid moves to change those ... but that's me ;)

Cheers,
Mike
I prefer the original key layout :)