PDA

View Full Version : opening png in photoshop

JML
05-10-2005, 12:00 PM
I usually render tga sequences for my renders, but I'm wondering if I should use
png instead. same quality but file size smaller..

when I sav a PNG 32 from LW , and open it in photoshop CS, it automatically merge the alpha. which is not good for me,
is there any reason why it does that ? and how can I tell photoshop just to load the Png
file without combining the alpha.

thanks

Earl
05-10-2005, 12:44 PM
I don't think there is a way to tell Photoshop to open the image normally. It seems intent on doing things without the users consent. I use transparent 32-bit PNGs a lot, but not with Photoshop.

-NG-
05-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Try looking in the preferences, i'm not sure but there could be a check at the transparancy tab or the file handling tab, i've seen guys done it, but don't know how, i'll ask them.

Captain Obvious
05-11-2005, 12:11 AM
If you don't need the alpha channel, you can always save as PNG24. Smaller size, no alpha to mess things up. ;)

Earl
05-11-2005, 12:43 AM
It's just easier to save as PNG32, then open it up properly in another program (Photo-Paint works well for this), where the background is still present and the alpha comes in as a mask. That way you can seperate it from the background yourself if you so desire, or even save the mask as a seperate alpha image. But alas Adobe knows nothing of this convenience.

JML
05-11-2005, 07:09 AM
having the alpha inside the file can be pretty useful.
if it doesn't import properly in photoshop CS, maybe it will open fine in aftereffects ?... I'll try that..