PDA

View Full Version : Help !Help !

phagus
05-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Are there any methods or Plugins that can animated a oriental dragon that is flying around in the sky ? IK did not can't animate well as the twist and turn part are impossible .... tried snake but it kept crashing ... Can anyone enlighten me !?

Thanks alot .

WizCraker
05-10-2005, 01:41 AM
Bones are the way to go. I'm not a rigger so I wouldn't be able to tell you how to get it working but just because it did not work the first time doesn't mean that is not the correct solution.

Psycho Zo
05-10-2005, 07:36 AM
Hey! Yep bones are most definately the way to go. Lightwave 3d has an AWESOME beginner's tutorial on IK chains.

Here it is: http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/simple-ik-chains/index.html

That is the technique I would rig up a Chinese dragon with. :)
Hope that helps!

Surrealist.
05-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Give more details of your model as to the attributes. Ii it segmented - separtate parts/objects? Or is it one contiguous mesh?

I am not well versed enough with dynamics to give specifics but that might be a possibility.

A quick and dirty old-school way to have something appear to be blowing in the wind is to use world co-ordinates on a displacement map of a ripple procedural with a velocity setting. Just make sure your mesh is well subdivided and trippled.

You'll have to experiment with it to get the right setting. May not be what you want but it is one other idea.

Or for a lot of twisting and turning with the bones or segmented-object IK chain look into IK booster.

Just some more "out of the box" solutions.

phagus
05-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Thanks alot guys ,will try again on bones .Will start screaming for help again if it does not work .