PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and mov. files?

Jean-Paul Lar.
05-09-2005, 11:55 PM
I rendered a short animation in lightwave using the quicktime setting im on a mac by the way so it saved as an mov. file. the problem is im using a program called moho and importing the mov. animation into it and adding some 2d stuff to the animation in moho. for some reason the sky in my animation won't show up when in mov. format wether sky tracer 2 is on or skytracer 2 is off, but if i render a still jpg. file my sky is there when i import it? does lightwave attach an alpha image to the quicktime file or something? and is there a way to shut this off and on? sorry if this is confusing. :) thanks.

Jean-Paul Lar.
05-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Never mind i figured it out you have to have the compression at million colours not million colours plus. :)

WizCraker
05-10-2005, 01:45 AM
I would suggest that you render to an image sequence then add what ever other elements that you need before compressing to a .mov or another format.

The reason for is if you render directly to an animation format it compressess then when you load that file in anothr Application such as MoHo and add new elements then save out to the .mov it is recompresing the file. The end result is 50% less quality than if you would of used just an image sequence.

WShawn
05-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Hello:

Rendering directly to a Quicktime format doesn't necessarily compress your render; it depends on which codec you choose. You can render out a Quicktime and select "None" in the compression settings. A better codec to use is the Animation codec which uses lossless compression. Areas in which there is no movement are compressed and areas that have movement aren't compressed, so if you have a flying logo that you plan to key in a compositing program the animation codec will compress everything outside of your logo (just a bunch of black pixels), reducing file size.

Of course there are other benefits to rendering out image sequences. You can't network render to a Quicktime, and if a render crashes it's easier to resume if it's an image sequence.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Jean-Paul Lar.
05-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys I understand how this all works now. :) Image sequence sounds like the way i'll go, more control in the end.