PDA

View Full Version : How do I make custom DVEs?

Rory Berger
04-24-2003, 12:18 PM
I just got my hands on a Toaster system, but have not seen any info on how I can make my own DVEs. Specifically the symbol DVE's that dissolve an image in between the transition. I would like to make my own symbols.

Any advice? Is there a software solution for this?

Jim Capillo
04-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Newtek has released a beta "DVE Creator" that works in conjunction with Lightwave 7.x.

It is not for the meek...... it is a beta front end, not yet ready for general consumption.

You can d/l it from their site.

SBowie
04-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Let's not overlook the fact that Aura can very easily create some very impressive DVE's :-)

Rory Berger
04-24-2003, 03:02 PM
That sounds like the way that I would need to make one of the symbol type transitions. It looks like an alpha channel dissolve of some nature. Is there a basic tutorial somewhere, or do I just need to throw an image into a key buffer and save the settings as a DVE somehow?

maybe I couldn't find anything in the Toaster manual because the info was in the Aura manual..... duh....

Is it that simple?

Rory Berger
04-24-2003, 08:33 PM
still don't see how to make those symbols......

Dick Nelson
04-24-2003, 08:41 PM
Yeah, part of the Toaster sales pitch is that you can make your own DVEs, but neither the Toaster nor the Aura manuals explain how. (Haven't looked at the Lightwave manual.)

Rory Berger
04-24-2003, 09:35 PM
The DVE creation kit appears as though it ceates polygon type effects and 3D animation with live video. However do we need to use this for ceating the alpha channel type effects? (symbols)

SBowie
04-25-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Rory Berger
The DVE creation kit appears as though it ceates polygon type effects and 3D animation with live video. However do we need to use this for ceating the alpha channel type effects? (symbols) Probably not. To comment on the other matter raised above:

The docs for the beta LightWave DVE builder are included with the download. This is not the simplest thing in the world to do, however. The utility is still in beta, the process is slow, and may not be what you need in any case.

The docs for the Aura DVE builder are in the toasters Documentation directory, under "AuraVT." It's pretty easy. NewTekPro has printed a simple tutorial that Faraz did, and I think there are more than one online. The one listed on the front page at http://www.newtekpro.com/ is specifically designed for converting alpha wipes, and doesn't touch on movement of the video plane, but could perhaps provide a little overview of the basic process.

Faraz
04-25-2003, 04:55 PM
Here is a link to a tutorial:

http://www.toastersupport.com/old/aura.htm

Don't click on the project because it won't be there. This is a really old version of the site and has lots of little quirks.