PDA

View Full Version : anybody else having crash after crash with 8.3?

cc3d
05-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Win XP SP2
P4 3.4
2 GB RAM
GeForce6800

Signal to Noise
05-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Please elaborate. Posting your system specs is a start but doesn't really help much.

What are you doing when a crash happens?
Is it during a specific function or random?
Are you using any 3rd party plugins?
Any other software such as antivirus running while using LW?
Is your video card overclocked or something silly like that?
Did you install 8.3 over top a previous install or is it a 'clean' install?
Did you start with clean Config files or re-using old ones?

etc.

cc3d
05-10-2005, 06:02 PM
What are you doing when a crash happens?

A: loading particular scenes that worked in LW 8.2. These are resource intensive, but they have worked well in the past.

Is it during a specific function or random?

A: scene loading, entire scene loads, then boom! Crash! not all scenes, just a few particular ones***

AppName: lightwav.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: gcore8.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0003c2d6

Are you using any 3rd party plugins?

A: not during the crash

Any other software such as antivirus running while using LW?

A: no, I killed all other processes trying to get this to work

Is your video card overclocked or something silly like that?

A: No, thinks are unstable enough wihtout introducing that kind of instability

Did you install 8.3 over top a previous install or is it a 'clean' install?

A: installed 8.3 upgrade straight after the download.

Did you start with clean Config files or re-using old ones?

A: I am reusing old config files. Why does this matter? Does it really? and if it does, why doesn't an upgrade just clean the config files at that time? or where do I get fresh config files?

* I guess after eviewing what I just wrote, their must be something that these particular scenes do at the end of the loading sequence that triggers the crash. I am unfamiliar with what the gcore8.dll function is. There are no plugins used in these scenes. I will double-check.

Forgive me, I'm wiped out...played 45 holes of golf today (rough ain't it)

thanks for your help.

CC

gjjackson
05-10-2005, 06:12 PM
This from the General Discussions re: installing LW 8.3
__________________________________________________ ____________

Whenever you get a new build of LightWave, it's always a good idea to clear down your configs and start again, as follows:

1. Make sure that LightWave is not running, including the Hub;
2. Delete your config or Preferences files (named LW8.CFG, LWM8.CFG, LWEXT8.CFG and LWHUB8.CFG on the PC). Normally on the PC they are stored in your Documents and Settings directory. On the Mac they are stored in the user:libraryreferences folder;
3. Start Layout;
4. Hit Alt F11, then Scan Directory and point it to your 8.3 plugins directory, click OK, then Done;
5. Hit Alt F10, change the Preset menu to 7.5, then back to Default, click Done;
6. Hit Alt F9, change the Preset menu to 7.5, then back to Default, click Done;
7. Quit Layout;
8. Start Modeler and repeat steps 5 and 6 (but with 7.0 instead of 7.5).

This way you can be sure of having the correct default menus including the Text Layers tool in the Create > Text group.

B
Europarc - 17, av. Léonard de Vinci - 33600 Pessac - FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)5 57 262 262 - Fax: +33 (0)5 57 262 261

Exception
05-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Yes getting crashes too here, and this is after a clean install. Predominantly just when opening the scene editor or pressing a button. gcore8.dll indeed.

cc3d
05-10-2005, 07:10 PM
This from the General Discussions re: installing LW 8.3
__________________________________________________ ____________

Whenever you get a new build of LightWave, it's always a good idea to clear down your configs and start again, as follows:

1. Make sure that LightWave is not running, including the Hub;
2. Delete your config or Preferences files (named LW8.CFG, LWM8.CFG, LWEXT8.CFG and LWHUB8.CFG on the PC). Normally on the PC they are stored in your Documents and Settings directory. On the Mac they are stored in the user:libraryreferences folder;
3. Start Layout;
4. Hit Alt F11, then Scan Directory and point it to your 8.3 plugins directory, click OK, then Done;
5. Hit Alt F10, change the Preset menu to 7.5, then back to Default, click Done;
6. Hit Alt F9, change the Preset menu to 7.5, then back to Default, click Done;
7. Quit Layout;
8. Start Modeler and repeat steps 5 and 6 (but with 7.0 instead of 7.5).

This way you can be sure of having the correct default menus including the Text Layers tool in the Create > Text group.

B
Europarc - 17, av. Léonard de Vinci - 33600 Pessac - FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)5 57 262 262 - Fax: +33 (0)5 57 262 261

well...........now all my custom configs are back to defaults and LW8.3 still crashes as before. Take note, this is no fix.

GCL
05-10-2005, 08:49 PM
1)
Did notice *only with 8.3* (using Wacom Intuos 3) mouse hangs up and works with pen right away (but mouse seems ok afterwards).
2)
Tried opening modeler within layout, no start. Tried directly, opened but crashed with a memory error upon closing.
This update is the only to date from 6.5 days that's been buggy for me. Still checking it out.

:(

lardbros
05-11-2005, 06:06 AM
Gotta say, i haven't had many crashes so far. Had one with a scene that is slightly older, probly version 8.1 , but restarted my PC and it worked fine afterwards. Since then i have been working on a couple of models using a couple of 5000x5000 textures and background textures with reflection, and stuff with no problems at all.

As with any update, when i do things that push it slightly and it pauses for a millisecond, i cringe, waiting for the crash... but so far so good

Nigel Baker
05-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi All,

Yes, depending on what I am doing.
Yesterday I was working on hardbody dynamics with a collision and CRASH after CRASH after ...
Today I am not, so it is okay.
I did however try to output a quicktime test movie and it crashed with the animation compression on. But this is a quicktime issue, I am sure, no compression on and no CRASH.

Keep posting

Exception
05-11-2005, 09:13 AM
But this is a quicktime issue, I am sure, no compression on and no CRASH.

Sure but such a thing didnt need to go and crash lightwave, should it?
Lw needs to be more resistent. Plugins, codec, video drivers, anything can crash lightwave with a little effort.

riki
05-11-2005, 09:13 AM
In all the years that I've used Lightwave, I grown acustom to the fact that Lightwave is going to crash continually at least once every 30mins. It has always been like that and 8.3 is no different. Modeler is more stable.

cc3d
05-11-2005, 12:04 PM
In all the years that I've used Lightwave, I grown acustom to the fact that Lightwave is going to crash continually at least once every 30mins. It has always been like that and 8.3 is no different. Modeler is more stable.

That isn't the type of problem I'm having. I've grown used to Lightwave crashing often, I'm talking about being unable to load 2 out of three scenes without a crash. These are scenes that I've been owrking on daily with 8.2 with no problem.

grafikdon
05-13-2005, 07:10 AM
I am still using 8.0 'cause my system crashed each time I tried to work with the first update. I am a bit scared to try 8.3.

mrunion
05-13-2005, 07:43 AM
cc3d:

For snicks, is it possible for you to upload a Scene and the objects and such that are failing? Maybe someone here would be able to discover the problem. I don;t know, I'm just asking.

Chuck
05-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Moved to the proper forum section.

mgreenway
05-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Something isn't adding up.
ConFigs
1. If I should dump my config files when I install a new version, wouldn't NewTec tell me to do so?
2. Why do the instructions say " While this update does not place new configuration files nor replace the license.key file, as a safety precaution it would still be wise to make a backup copy of any files or folders you may have modified since installing LightWave. These can include your configuration files, the license.key file, the Plugins folder, the Presets folder, and any content folders."
Here they are saying "SAVE YOUR CONFIGS"
3. Reconfiguring everything would be a pain in the butt
Crashes
I'm surfacing (using BRDF) and crashed about once per hour yesterday. Each time I got this message "Instruction 0x61003d20 is referencing memory oxooooo7cf and that memory couldn't be read. the reference location changes every time but the instruction is the same.

hunter
05-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Certainly more crashes the pre 8.3. If you haven't updated yet, IMHO Don't.

cc3d
05-16-2005, 08:29 AM
cc3d:

For snicks, is it possible for you to upload a Scene and the objects and such that are failing? Maybe someone here would be able to discover the problem. I don;t know, I'm just asking.

The ones I know of know are proprietary and I cannot. I'll see if I can find one that is crashing I can send to try.

I found what I thought was the culprit. A fresnel plugin that was in these scenes and not in others that did no crash, but this is not the problem. I've been trying to cypher what is different from scenes that work. No luck so far.

cc3d
05-17-2005, 07:05 PM
looks like its an object problem. I can't load the object that is in the crashing scene, into modeler. I get the same crash in modeler. Still can't find it in an object that I can share. I'll keep going.

How can I edit an object outside of lightwave i.e. see what plugin associations it may have etc.? It's a binary file, so it can't be viewed like a scene file right?

vangaans
05-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Same here, getting crash after crash in Modeller. Trying to model an object in LW8.3. Move some points, scale some points, add an edge...then crash. Initially I thought it may have been edges, but this has always worked fine in the past with earlier versions.
Opened the object today and just edited the mesh without using add edges and still crashing after a few edits. Have cleared configs etc but still getting same problem.

mrunion
05-18-2005, 06:44 AM
Editing in Modeller and getting crashes is slightly different than the current topic I think. I believe this topic is indicating loading some 8.2 models in 8.3 Modeller/Layout is causing a problem. If you are getting crashes WHILE modelling a new object, that's different. Have you checked the basics first (like video drivers?)

vangaans
05-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the response MrUnion

Are you saying that LW8.2 models are not compatible with LW8.3?
Is there are work around for this.

cc3d
05-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the response MrUnion

Are you saying that LW8.2 models are not compatible with LW8.3?
Is there are work around for this.

not at all, I am saying that there are 8.2 models that will crash 8.3. I have a series of models that I did over 3 months. 3 models that I worked on loaded like this in chronological order of creation. Crash, no-problem, crash. These are chopper models that are very similar to one another. I am still investigating.

CC

ercaxus
05-27-2005, 01:07 AM
hello,
i am doing some morph maps for bones in modeler and switching to layout to check if it looks correct. After switching back and forth couple times I do a save incremental in modeler and switch to layout again.
and boom.

it doesn't happen (at least not so frequently) when I save the object with the same file name.

winXpSp2 p4-2.8GHz w/HT
LW 8.3 (a very fresh install)

mattclary
05-27-2005, 06:07 AM
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts a texture is causing the problem***. Copy the involved objects and strip them of surfaces in modeler. Re-load the scene with the stripped objects and see if you can repro.

*** this does not mean it's not a new bug in LW8

ercaxus
05-28-2005, 05:23 PM
i did got rid of all the surfaces, but it still crashes when it's trying to automatically replace the object with the new object (new name from save incremental) almost every time. :(