PDA

View Full Version : do you have this mouse?

anieves
02-14-2003, 02:10 PM
I'm thinking on getting this mouse.
any of you guys have it? I want to know how it performs before I spend any dough.

http://www.macessories.com/products/pro_mic_d1081.html

Matt
02-14-2003, 02:49 PM
afraid not, I have this baby . . .

Logitech MX500 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=3&CONTENTID=4998&countryid=18&languageid=1)

Which is very comfortable, and looks the nadgers!

:)

R2D2
02-14-2003, 02:51 PM
I use the 3-button mouse that came with my Wacom tablet when I'm working at home, but when I'm on the road I use a Kensington Pocketmouse Pro. Its a solid product with excellent drivers.

I haven't used the studiomouse, but I'm willing to bet that the same quality is in that product as well.

Let us know what you think when/if you get it. Also, just a quick question to the rest of the Mac people,... doesn't it seem silly that Apple doesn't make their own 3button, scrollwheel mouse?

Later,
R2

eblu
02-14-2003, 03:16 PM
hey just go to a comp usa, they have them out of the box on a shelf. just undo the cord, take the mouse physically to one of the demo macs, and hot swap the mouse, you won't have the drivers but you can get a feel for the ergonomics. When i did it i was ignored by all the comp usa employees bc i was in the mac aisle
i held that mouse for o about 5 minutes. BAD ERGONOMICS.
its beautiful, but it is awkward bc they designed that damn middle button poorly.

when you lay 3 fingers on the mouse, your longest finger rests on the shortest button, making it neccessary to put your hand in an uncomfortable position to use the middle mouse button.

as fer the drivers... they are falling apart. they cant be used in photoshop, bc of the jerky motion, some of the time the driver doesn't load properly, and there is a problem with the scroll function (this is in osX btw, in 9 everything is flawless)

i like kensington, i use the optical elite, but they are in a bad spot right now, the quality of experience of apple's zero button optical mouse runs rings around everything kensington sells. they gotta shore up the os x implementation of the drivers, and Stop designing mice that break arms.

but thats all just my opinion,
ted

harlan
02-14-2003, 03:20 PM
Well, I'll have to agree with Matt here (even after his previous display of brazen incompetence regarding the Mac platform), but the Logitech MX300 & MX500 are just incredible mice. ;)

They're very comfortable to hold, are high resolution, and look kick ***.

mlinde
02-14-2003, 03:28 PM
I'm using the various MacAlly iOpti-mice. USB optical, two-button + scroll wheel, good drivers, and you can get them for about $30.00 at small dog electronics
http://www.smalldog.com/

Matt
02-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Just like to point out that I've used Macs longer than I have PCs! I do know a little bit about them!

Bottom line, does LightWave run better on a PC, why, yes it does!
Nuff said!

:p

serpicolugnut
02-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Kensigton, IMO, has the best mice for the Mac. Not only are the mice themselves well designed, but their Mouseworks Software is the best implementation under OS X. Logitech's and Microsoft's OS X drivers pale in comparison.

Kensington's Mouseworks is OS X native (cocoa), and it's a pref pane. It supports customization for your buttons, as well as chording.

I use their Optical Elite Mouse. It's about $20 cheaper than the Studio Mouse, and it has 5 buttons total. It rocks...

Optical Elite (http://www.macessories.com/products/pro_mic_d1074.html)

Elliotjnewman
02-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Well I am using the Microsoft Intellimouse explorer and, well, I am quite disappointed. I may send it back and get another because, along with Lightwave I use Maya and I need a mouse with three buttons for that - and the middle button on my mouse is a scroll button - which I thought would be ok to use as a middle button in Maya - but it doesnt work as a middle button - I cant even re-configure this scroll button in the software!!!

Well looks like I have to get another one... Logitech... seems like a better product...

Rey
02-15-2003, 08:21 PM
I use the Kensington StudioMouse and am happy with it. The scroll pad takes a little getting use to but otherwise it is a fine mouse. Next mouse I buy will probably be the wireless version.

mbaldwin
02-15-2003, 09:36 PM
I also have the studio mouse--I really like it. The scroll pad is a little unique, but it has really grown on me. Having it there gives the mmbutton a different touch and feel: you always know where your fingers are.

I was in the dark as to what 3 button mouse to pick up, and some local Mac Maya guys recommended this one. I'm not disappointed.

A word of caution: kensington puts out a cordless version of their studio mouse, but I would reccommend against it. There's too much stutter with the tracking of the thing. I don't think it's a Kensington only problem, I think cordless mice in general have a way to go before they're as smooth as the regular ones.

later,

-m.

anieves
02-17-2003, 09:32 AM
thanks for the responses... I think I'll just go to CompUSA and check them out and see how confortable my palm is on them. Thanks!

Johnny
02-17-2003, 02:17 PM
going to a place like CompUSA where they have mice and trackballs laid out for test drives is the way to go...

I ended up with a Logitech marble mouse after trying other similar logitech products which were twice as expensive.

the marble mouse is liquidy-smooth, but it seems that there are track ball fans and track ball haters..only a test drive will determine which you are.

J

Pensart
02-18-2003, 04:21 PM
I'm also using the logitech MX300 and its the best mouse EVER. Even could activate the 3th mousebutton in lightwave :D