PDA

View Full Version : Bug Workshop: LightWave 8.3

JML
05-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Added by NewTek Staff:

In the interest of having a one-stop shop for reporting bugs on the forum, this thread is for reporting bugs and identifying which platforms are affected. Please try to cross-reference the Bug Workshop threads on the Mac and PC support forums - all bugs should appear here, and platform specific bugs should be reported on the Bug Workshop thread on the platform specific forums as well.

Suggested format:

-------------------------------------

# 001 Ref number for tracking and Bug confirmation from other users.

LW 8.2, OS: Mac 10.3.4/Win XP, G4 800/P4 Xeon 2.8G, 512MB/1GB

-------------------------------------

Followed then of course by the bug report, with numbered steps to repeat the error. Followed hopefully by confirmation from other users.

FAQ on Workshop Procedures:

Is it best to edit a previous post or make a new post, when there is new information on a given bug?

There is a reasonable enough case for each alternative to make doing both worth considering. Editing the initial report post can make things easier for folks coming to the thread new and going through it for the first time (it would be a good idea to include the date as part of your entry for the new info added this way); however, it might also be wise to provide for those who have been reading as the thread developed and who jump to the end when they come back, by appending a new post with a note such as "Post # 43 has been edited to include this new information about bug #052: [paste new info here]."

Should I post only bugs that are new in this version, or can I post bugs that existed before?

Any bug that exists in the current build should be reported in the Workshop thread. If it also existed in the previous build or perhaps even recurred from some earlier version, then that information should be noted as well, with reference to the previous workshop thread and post in which it was previously reported, if available, or the previous version in which it occurred.

WinXP SP2 - P4 3.2Ghz

001- the image filter 'soften reflection' seems to be not working properly now.
when I check 'scale by Surface buffer' , it still blurs all reflections in the scene..
(would it work if I copy the zblur.p from LW8.2.1 ? )

002 - when I load a scene that has TIF files, I get this message : " TIFF Read Directory Warning...." for every tif images.
those images look fine in layout. so what does this warning mean ?
those tif files are usually 8bit and saved from photoshop.

Lottmedia
05-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Loaded 8.3 to play with the new hyperVox options. Add a HV emmiter and errored. Something about line 33 not proper refrence object. Added Part Emitter and worked, but I could move the emitter anf the particles still emitted from 0,0,0 no matter what I did. Shut down and started again, problem seems to go away.

So far all to report

J-Rod

Tiger
05-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Loaded 8.3 to play with the new hyperVox options. Add a HV emmiter and errored. Something about line 33 not proper refrence object. Added Part Emitter and worked, but I could move the emitter anf the particles still emitted from 0,0,0 no matter what I did. Shut down and started again, problem seems to go away.

So far all to report

J-Rod

I have not that problem here...playing around like anything :D

Lottmedia
05-09-2005, 04:20 PM
not a big, but now it seems when I go to the hub to start layout (something I rarely do) it lists LWModeler, LWLayout and LWModeler 8.3, in that order. Oops, not that I've opened Layout it adds LWLayout 8.3 to the mix. Dosen't seem to affect anything, just a note

J-Rod

lardbros
05-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Yeah lottmedia, i get the duplicate Modeller and Layout things. Just have four now, and one set have the 8.3 afterwards. hmmm, maybe when i restart it'll go.??

I have tried almost everything new, and also get the .tiff file warning? Would love to know what this means if any newtek staff can let us know?? It doesn't bother me at all because i use the intermediate user level, but just wondered why it happens??

Dont want to sound sour at all, so have to say thanks to all the newtek staff for giving is this update so soon.... MUCH, MUCH MUCH APPRECIATED. And while im in such a good mood, newtek europe surely do have some friendly staff on the phones. When i ordered my copy a couple of months back she couldnt have been more helpful if she tried, very patient indeed. :D Would like to say thanks thats all! :D

BeeVee
05-09-2005, 05:01 PM
If you are getting multiple versions of Layout and Modeler in your Hub it's because you updated while Hub was still running and you haven't cleared your configs. Recreate your configs in the manner I describe in this thread: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=271366#post271366

B

lardbros
05-09-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm pretty sure i didnt have it running, i hadnt run it today at all. But i kinda thought it may have something to do with the configs. Cheers for the help BeeVee, much appreciated.

Wade
05-09-2005, 06:50 PM
"Text Layers" tool is in the Lscript folder, but how do I add this to have it own tab?

Clean out old configs - it is there now.

paulhart
05-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Just got done talking with Safenet technical support after trying to upgrade to 8.3 on my system and got error messages that the Sentinel drivers couldn't complete the installation. After doing a "system clean" from Safenet, still same problem using their install package.... turns out!!! I am running a dual Opteron AMD 64 system and the driver posted won't work. It is now 6:06 PST, all technical support is gone!!! and I am left in discovery mode?????
The guy at Safenet said he can't release the driver to me directly, but I am supposed to get it from my vendor.???? :mad: Thus the rant..... Checked the readme, no notice. Be aware of the problem so you don't get stuck like I currently am???!!!!
Paul

spec24
05-09-2005, 07:32 PM
If you are getting multiple versions of Layout and Modeler in your Hub it's because you updated while Hub was still running and you haven't cleared your configs. Recreate your configs in the manner I describe in this thread: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=271366#post271366

B

didn't have mine running.

and the .tif error is pretty annoying. Any way to get rid of this?

ernpchan
05-09-2005, 07:37 PM
The image processing plug-in flare 2 alpha isn't saving with the scene file. Can anyone confirm this?

Ernest

Dodgy
05-09-2005, 07:43 PM
The image processing plug-in flare 2 alpha isn't saving with the scene file. Can anyone confirm this?

Ernest

Confirm :P

Added it to an empty scene, saved scene, cleared, then reloaded, no plugin.

tudor
05-10-2005, 02:52 AM
I believe I found something else..

configure menus. I cannot move items. totally impossible to reorganize the menus nomatter what I do. be sure to add any items where you really want them because they will stick to their 1st added position nomatter what.

can anyone verify?

Jure
05-10-2005, 02:56 AM
I have found a bug when loading an object. I get weird error "Error reading blablabla file". It seems LW 8.3 has problems reading curves that were imported into LW from dxf.

Here's a buggy file if anyone cares to try it. (http://www.vizualizacije.com/beta_testing/test.lwo)

It loads fine in 8.2.1

operation
05-10-2005, 04:20 AM
1) When I use the sliders in IMAGE EDITOR (module), the interface goes slow... very slow.. until I realease the slider.

2) When you suppress a key (object,camera,etc.) , the undo is not working after . ( not bringing back the set key).

3) Four Layout view: when you drag the cross at the middle of the interface ( sliding edge) you can't make you window bigger ( can't have full size view)
In the modeler it's not working only for the left and right slide.

Librarian
05-10-2005, 04:59 AM
Clicking on Set or Filter in SE Item Selector Master Plugin crashes Layout.

animage 3D
05-10-2005, 05:02 AM
Jure, how did you make this tricky curve ?
I've made a test by loading in LW8.3 a DXF file with curves made with autocad, and it seems to be right.

tudor
05-10-2005, 05:32 AM
The bug with modifying the menus is confirmed...
This is really bad, as I modify the menus a lot!

trick
05-10-2005, 06:09 AM

As a 7.5c user I wonder what would be harder: getting acquainted with the bugs in a new release or learning a new software. For me: I'll just keep using 7.5, wait for a solid 8, and in the meantime learn MAX7.5 and all its bugs. This way it keeps me from pulling my hair on NEW bugs in LW :D

BeeVee
05-10-2005, 06:22 AM
It should be pointed out that 8 is a lot more stable than 7.5 ever was in my opinion, and that not only are bugs being fixed but that new features are being added with each release. I know I might seem somewhat biased since I work for the company, but I've been using LightWave for many, many years now... :)

B
PS. It also might be that no-one bothers to report problems with 7.5 now because it came out so long ago, so they've all been discussed time and time again - like HyperVoxels not working nicely with fog or transparency... guess what, they are fixed in 8.3... :)

JML
05-10-2005, 06:50 AM
8.3 had a huge list of things that got fix, so I think it's normal that when fixing all those stuff, it may have affected a few other tools..
it's never going to be totally bug free..

Beevee, if you are allowed to say, is there a part of the LW team working on 8.xx updates and another team working on LW9 ?
(I'm just wondering when LW9 will be coming out.. or if there will be a LW8.5,etc..)

spec24
05-10-2005, 07:23 AM
Is there a trick to uninstalling 8.3 or can I just uninstall from the control panel. Will this bump me back to 8.2.1 without ill-effect?

BeeVee
05-10-2005, 07:25 AM
It depends on how you installed it (if you duplicated your 8.2.1 folder and installed to the duplicate then you should have no problem). I would say the simplest thing to do if you wish to go back to an older version is to uninstall completely and reinstall from 8.

B

Jure
05-10-2005, 07:34 AM
Jure, how did you make this tricky curve ?
I've made a test by loading in LW8.3 a DXF file with curves made with autocad, and it seems to be right.

In LW 8.2.1 I imported from dxf from autocad. Worked with it normaly in 8.2.1. Today when I installed 8.3 I wasn't able to open the file anymore.

Jure
05-10-2005, 07:41 AM

I can reorganize my menus without a problem...

JML
05-10-2005, 07:44 AM
WinXP SP2 - P4 3.2Ghz
1- the image filter 'soften reflection' seems to be not working properly now.
when I check 'scale by Surface buffer' , it still blurs all reflections in the scene..
(would it work if I copy the zblur.p from LW8.2.1 ? )

I tried replacing the new zblur.p with the old one that worked, but the same thing happen.
(zblur.p has soften reflection inside)
this plugin may not be crucial for many, (we can save an alpha and blur it in photoshop or aftereffects) but it was nice to be able to add quick soft relfection
to our interiors directly in LW.

Cman
05-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Bug posted in another forum:

Originaly Posted by Policarpo:
Also note. If you use the .PSD exporter, you can get a clean render out of LW while running in the Discovery mode. The Checkerboard pattern appears as L7: Effect(-) and L6:Effect(+). If you turn these layers off in Photoshop, the Checkerboard pattern disappears and you are left with a professional looking render (you guys might want to disable this feature in future releases of the Demo).

lardbros
05-10-2005, 08:15 AM
It must be somewhat disheartening for the development team sometimes. Literally the SECOND the newest release comes out, people report bugs and glitches. You guys must have the hide of a rhino.

Anyway, regarding the menu layout thing.... i just reloaded the default keys and menu in modeller, then loaded my own because it was more customised. Anyway, the only tool i needed to add was the new Text Layer one, so i dragged it over, then remembered that a few people have said something about menu config doesnt allow you to move them around after you place them. TRUE, the text tool couldnt be moved anywhere, but the other ones could be moved anywhere you want. Maybe it only glitches like this when it's the new tool you're adding to the interface rather than just rearranging them???

BeeVee
05-10-2005, 08:39 AM
I've noticed that I can reposition things in the right hand window as long as they aren't sub-items, like in groups for instance.

And thanks for the compliments... :)

B

Dodgy
05-10-2005, 08:42 AM
Anyway, regarding the menu layout thing.... i just reloaded the default keys and menu in modeller, then loaded my own because it was more customised. Anyway, the only tool i needed to add was the new Text Layer one, so i dragged it over, then remembered that a few people have said something about menu config doesnt allow you to move them around after you place them. TRUE, the text tool couldnt be moved anywhere, but the other ones could be moved anywhere you want. Maybe it only glitches like this when it's the new tool you're adding to the interface rather than just rearranging them???

I've only had this problem with modeler, and there is a work around. Double click the tool you want to move, so it brings up the rename dialogue. Click okay or cancel and then you should be able to move the menu item.

Dodgy
05-10-2005, 08:51 AM
I believe I found something else..

configure menus. I cannot move items. totally impossible to reorganize the menus nomatter what I do. be sure to add any items where you really want them because they will stick to their 1st added position nomatter what.

can anyone verify?

I only found this modeler, and if you double click the name (to rename it) then cancel/okay that, you'll be able to move the menu item again. I couldn't move the top menu tabs in the menu editor in modeler at all, so I had to do it in modeler itself (by click dragging them for people who don't know how to do this!)

Chuck
05-10-2005, 09:35 AM
As a 7.5c user I wonder what would be harder: getting acquainted with the bugs in a new release or learning a new software. For me: I'll just keep using 7.5, wait for a solid 8, and in the meantime learn MAX7.5 and all its bugs. This way it keeps me from pulling my hair on NEW bugs in LW :D

LightWave [8] has been more stable and solid than 7.5c since Day One. The overwhelming majority of issues fixed in 8.0 and subsequent releases are all present for you in 7.5c. Relatively few new issues have been introduced in the new features or by the fixes, so overall stability started better and has only increased with each update. If you haven't upgraded, you aren't retaining superior stability, just denying yourself new features, improved workflow, and superior stability.

JML
05-10-2005, 09:58 AM
....If you haven't upgraded, you aren't retaining superior stability, just denying yourself new features, improved workflow, and superior stability.

agree with that, I have LW7.5 at home and work on LW8 at work, and every time I go home to work on something, I miss LW8 features in modeller and layout.. so many things that make workflow easier. I will upgrade mine as soon as I can.
(one of the biggest thing I'm missing at home is the new PLD antialiasing passes, it saves so much time..)

trick
05-10-2005, 11:25 AM
...If you haven't upgraded, you aren't retaining superior stability, just denying yourself new features, improved workflow, and superior stability.

As I said I'm still on 7.5c mostly because of all the issues that are posted here. I even have some co-workers that work in [8] en reported me some issues. Because my workflow is very complex and depends on a lot of external plugins and programs it is not stability that I'm worried about, but more non- or differently working features that keep me from jumping to the latest release. If I could find the time to test all these things out and report them back to NT and all other developers...In the meantime I'm forced (not by the status of LW, but more by circumstances) to work in other programs with their own list of bugs, which cost me at least the time I would need to find my equal workflow in the lastest LW. So my remark was of a slightly cynical nature towards updates in general: you'll get more stability, more features, but some things may break along the ride. It's just a matter of time before I will use [8] :)

Lottmedia
05-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Guys, remember this is an 8.3 bug workshop, not "see! THIS is why I don't upgrade!" forum. There are other placed to weigh the virtues of that choice (on these forums) As to complaning about bugs; ALL software has issues, especially with the diverse hardware and (in LW's case) plug-ins used by different users. No one pushes the software like the users, beta testing can only do so much. This dialogue is a valid step in the process of perfecting the software, please look at it as a professional enviroment and not a grip board.
No hard feelings, all.

J-Rod

lardbros
05-10-2005, 01:22 PM
I only found this modeler, and if you double click the name (to rename it) then cancel/okay that, you'll be able to move the menu item again. I couldn't move the top menu tabs in the menu editor in modeler at all, so I had to do it in modeler itself (by click dragging them for people who don't know how to do this!)

True, it was only in modeller, and to be honest it's just something that doesn't bother me in the slightest. Obviously what newtek are doing to lightwave, during the overhaul, things are going to go slightly wrong, but this is so minor, i am unbelievably happy with the update.

paulhart
05-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Currently sitting on hold with Sentinel.... talked to Lightwave, who sent me back to Sentinel(SafeNet), saying that they were going to call them and talk "tech." Apparently there is a problem with the SafeNet drivers and the Opteron AMD 64 chips that was unlucky enough to bump into??? Has anyone else out there run into this, or is it just me??? We even tried a custom install with the 7.0.0 driver, same results.
Help..... stuck in Discovery mode and not liking it at all!!!!

GregMalick
05-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Ummm. discovered this in 8.3 but it's also in 8.2

1. Open the Surface Editor in Modeler or Layout.
2. Click the texture button for the Color Channel.
3. Add the procedural heteroTerrain.
4. On the Increment Value press the [E] buttton or try incrementing with the minislider.
5. Lightwave crashes. (it's a very fast way to close the app) ;)

Ridged Multi-Fractile will also do the same....
The other procedurals seem OK.

Oh and no problems in LW 7.5c

Apologies if this has already been reported.

operation
05-11-2005, 02:16 AM
Create a Camera
Create a null

Select Camera
press "m" Key (motion option)
in "Target item" select "NULL" object

Select "Null" object
press "m" Key (motion option)
in "Parent item" select the camera

It seems to move the pivot point to opposite at the same time....

cheers !

Operation

lardbros
05-11-2005, 03:01 AM

4. On the Increment Value press the [E] buttton or try incrementing with the minislider.

Ridged Multi-Fractile will also do the same....
The other procedurals seem OK.

Oh and no problems in LW 7.5c

Apologies if this has already been reported.

I just tried this out, and don't have any problems whatsoever. Tried them all, and i would have noticed too, i use procedurals constantly. Tried in modeller and layout too.

Now with the camera and null parenting thing, it's annoying. I don't really know how this one could be fixed? The software is just doing what it's told (in a strange way), if you move the null an inch left or right, then move the camera, it rotates... which in my opinion can't be helped. It's the target, and it's off to the left/right and when you move the camera it follows it left or right. Well, i agree, it shouldnt be like that so maybe it can be fixed.... or maybe there is some odd use for it like that??? :D

mrunion
05-11-2005, 06:54 AM
GregMalik:

I also followed your instructions and I have no problems. Tried in 8.2 as well and I have no issues.

Lottmedia
05-11-2005, 06:56 AM

I'm with lardbros, no problems performing these actions, followed steps exactly.
8.3 XPP SP2 Intel 3.01

J-Rod

JML
05-11-2005, 07:01 AM
this was before 8.3,
I was not sure if it was a bug, but I'm pretty sure it is

when you rotate an object, the "red,green,blue thing" in move mode doesn't rotate.. and keep the same orientation.
(see images for example)
(the same thing happen with coordinate system set to world, parent and local)

WinXP SP2

Castius
05-11-2005, 07:28 AM
operation this is simple case of double transforms. The camera is rotaing and rotating the null with it and you are move the null to. 3d apps have a hard time seperating internal transforms and interactive user transforms.

You can however take advantage of IK Booster advanved interaction. Try this

Add a null called CameraNull
set the position to -5 on z (so it's centered with the camera)
parent the camera to the null
Lock the camera in the scene editor (so it can't be selected)

add another null named target
parnet this null to the first null

select IKB tool
right click on the CameraNull and apply IK Booster
right click and turn on ikStop
right click and turn on handle
Right click again and go to options and turn off move/rotate

Done!!

For more interesting interaction leave IKstop off

Now you have an interactive camera that will allow you to move the camera and also have a target you can use wihout double transforms.

Here is the scene for you to play with.

Castius
05-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Local is the only cord that will display what you want. And it display correctly here.

Castius
05-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Here is a target verison of that camera setup.

GregMalick
05-11-2005, 08:05 AM
lardbros, mrunion, lottmedia,
It must be something in my lw8 installation. Any ideas how I might fix this?

EDIT:
Gil at Tech Support helped me out.
Flushing my cfg's and rescanning the plugin folder fixed it.
Sorry for the distraction. :o

mrunion
05-11-2005, 08:47 AM
You got me there, GregMalik.

When it crashes do you get any kind of message from "this instruction caused a xxx in xxx.dll or something?" Are you on a PC?

AVT
05-11-2005, 04:56 PM
"Self Shadows" option in Hypervoxels panel shows a very strange results in VIPER. It doesnt react to "Shadow color" of the lights at all (always black shadows).

AVT
05-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Problems with "Custom banks" in Property page of Scene Editor are still here (since first version of Speadsheet). Just create a new custom bank, save scene, reload it and there will be completely empty space instead of Property page! You will not be able to use it anymore! Well, "Reset workspace" will save You from suicide...

erroLux
05-12-2005, 05:36 AM
Do'nt know if these are bugs but anyway:

A) When mirroring a left leg rig, there were two right Toe bones, one in the rigth leg and one in the left rig, and the one placed in the left leg is parented to the one of the right leg.
See attachment.

B) When parenting bones, I've had several occasions where the heading, pitch and bank changed.

Greets...

erroLux
05-12-2005, 06:12 AM
I do'nt have much experience, so I do'nt know about this, but when adding expressions for eye bones, and clicking 'Continue', and reopening the expressions panel, there are NO expressions there, the panel's completely blank!?

Greets...

Cman
05-12-2005, 07:06 AM
I do'nt have much experience, so I do'nt know about this, but when adding expressions for eye bones, and clicking 'Continue', and reopening the expressions panel, there are NO expressions there, the panel's completely blank!?

Greets...

Now you have to hit the "Return" key or the values you put in won't take.

Librarian
05-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Well, I have to say 8.3 is a buggy piece of $§!"/& for me.
Scene Editor is unstable, bone tools are still very buggy (Bone split crashes, Adding Child Bones crashes etc. In fact, the crashes are not reproducable most of the time, that makes it even worse), some features didnīt work or crash and and and... Honestly all these buggy $§!"/& gets me mad and I have never ever had an application with that many bugs :mad:
I hoped itīs getting better, but it doesnīt.
At least not for me :(
I think Iīm done with it and give up hoping for a stable release.
Better luck next time?
Maybe, but my patience is exhausted :(

lardbros
05-12-2005, 09:07 AM
I still agree that LW is buggy, despite not having many crashes... BUT i've used 3dMAX alot in the past, and although it may be more stable nowadays, it used to just close on me quite alot. No illegal operation or anything, just did it.

I know Chuck said that 8 is much more stable than 7, but i literally only had a couple of crashes with version 7 during the entire time i was working on my dissertation. Seems with 8 that they occur with the more trivial things (selecting edge loops, although only happened once, and a while ago at that) instead of when you're pushing your hardware to the limits.

Librarian
05-12-2005, 09:29 AM
I agree, LW 7.5c was indeed more stable for me. The reason may be itīs has less features and the main work was done in Layout. Modeler was and is stable or workable, itīs just the Layout thingy that gives me nightmares. Itīs not healthy Every time I hit one of these functions, I pray to the lord "Please, donīt let it crash".
Makes my neurologist happy.

8.01 was the most stable of the 8 boys for me (keep in mind, not everyone uses the same parts of LW regulary. It could be that some users never discover bugs that overs encounter. For example many of the bugfixes in the lists never happened to me, but that doesnīt mean they donīt exist).
Thatīs a bit strange, I know , since the lists of bugfixes is very long. It is as it is :o .

mkiii
05-12-2005, 10:59 AM
This thread is for reporting bugs, not moaning about how crap this that or the other is in LW.

Please start a different ''Things I hate about Lightwave'' thread so the rest of us can check on bugs that need squashing. Thanks

mkiii
05-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Modeler CRASH Bug: Reproducable.

Concerns Phantom UV points:

UV points that cannot easily be removed from the UV map are still present in 8.3, seemingly somewhat worse than before. Now rather than just cluttering up the display after some UV editing has been done, they also seem to be selectable in polygon mode which makes it difficult to select portions of the UV map without accidentally selecting the polys that these phantom points should be attached to.

To crash modeler.

Make a box.
Apply a UV map to it
Use the Knife tool on the box to add a few polys.
Phantom points appear on UV Map
Try to select some polys on the uv map, including some of the phantom points in your sweep of the mouse: See the additional polys that are also selected.

Now select all the phantom points (select all polys & move them out of the way on the uv map first), and use ''_'' to remove them from the UV Map.
This will leave what looks like a single UV Point in the bottom L/H corner of the UV Map, the removed points become selected on the polys that they should be attached to.
Deselect the ''Normal'' points but leave the phantom one selected.
Now try to do anything with this selected point such as move it & Modeler crashes.

ernpchan
05-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Has anyone had Layout just disappear when loading a motion file? It's been happening several times to me. I'm not talking about a crash and send error report window. Layout just disappears.

Ernest

ernpchan
05-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Has anyone had this happen to them. You go to add an item or clone an item and instead you get a duplicate of the first item in your item list but it doesn't show up as a duplicate meaning it doesn't have the (#) number added to it. You go try to select this new "phantom" clone in both scene editor and item list but you can only select the original item that it was cloned from. You delete the new "phantom" clone and instead you delete the original object.

Please tell me I'm not going insane with this.

Ernest

ercaxus
05-12-2005, 11:10 PM
load layout.
load an object (or more if you want).
go to the scene editor (the new one).
click surfaces tab.
above the object/surface list on the left, click on where it says "Name" on the frame to sort the objects by name.
boom. it crashes. :D
sometimes it resists a little bit but when I keep clicking it crashes eventually.

no bug numbers this time??

wxpsp2/1gbram/p4-2.8ht

BeeVee
05-13-2005, 01:57 AM
Can't duplicate that here with a variety of object with different surfacing needs (umage maps, procedurals, etc.)

B

lardbros
05-13-2005, 04:25 AM
load layout.
click surfaces tab.
above the object/surface list on the left, click on where it says "Name" on the frame to sort the objects by name.
sometimes it resists a little bit but when I keep clicking it crashes eventually.

Yep i have to agree with this one... happens on mine aswell. I loaded two objects of mine, without any texture maps applied to them, went ahead and did what you said, and it crashed instantly... only had to click on it once.

Oh well, that one's quite annoying actually!!

EDIT
--------------------
Just tried it with just a single object, and it still does it... after a couple of clicks this time round. ****IT!

BeeVee
05-13-2005, 04:32 AM
Okay, loaded a scene that comes with LightWave 8 and did it and then it crashed, so I see what you mean... okay, confirming it this time.

B

Librarian
05-13-2005, 04:41 AM
load layout.
click surfaces tab.

wxpsp2/1gbram/p4-2.8ht
Confirmed. Oh well.... :rolleyes:

lardbros
05-13-2005, 04:51 AM
Cheers Beevee.

Another thing i've found, but it used to do it in 8.1 and the rest of them too... not too much of a bug, but it's to do with the surface editor too and using cameraselector plugin. Here's how to duplicate the error.

If you just open a new scene... add the cameraselector plugin to the master plugins, add some cameras.

Then in layout clone some lights or something, so you have multiple objects to select, and then open up the new scene editor. Select more than one light/object (within the scene editor) and scrub the timeline thing (some error pops up and it deselects the things you've just selected.) If you're trying to animate more than one object in a scene using the cameraselector it gets a bit tedious. There are many workarounds, and many involve not using the plugin at all, just thought i'd let you guys know.

hesido
05-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Guess it is wise to wait for 8.3.1

Cman
05-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Guess it is wise to wait for 8.3.1

I think I will also wait.
Too many bugs that seem to interfere with things I might use over the next few months.

wacom
05-13-2005, 11:12 AM
I know it's a plugin, and this is about 8.3, but when you have Fprime active w/ autokey on, moving lights around in LW becomes the dance and jitter from ****. You have to either turn off Fprime, or turn off autokey. It makes it so that Fprime is not nearly as useable as it was in 8.2.

Now I hope that if this isn't NewTeks problem that they've contacted Worley to get a solution- the fact is this is a MAJOR plugin used by hundreds of LWer's now...

Does anyboad know how to roll back to 8.2 easily?

JML
05-13-2005, 12:41 PM
and a crucial bug only for mac, (since a while now)

it would be great that when you uncheck an object in the scene editor, LW would not render it's shadow..
right now, an object off will not render but LW will still render its shadow.
work around are to disolve the object 100%..

I hear a lot of complains about that where I work.

tischbein3
05-13-2005, 12:48 PM
modeler texture wireframe crash

Modeler sometimes crashes when a (medium sized) mesh from layer is cut / pasted into another (wich also contain a more or less medium sized geometry)when texture wireframe is activated.

I'm not sure if its important, but I allways got the crash when I paste before modelers viewports are not completly initialised. (only top right and top left show data )

I think I never used texture wireframe in such an extensive way, dso I cannot say if this is a 8.3 problem. (These are the first crashes I eperience since 8.0)
gfx card is ati.

REEDIT IN JUNE:
Small notes:
-texture displayed is a 2000x2000 tga image map
-It is an old bug, it could be reproduced in 8.01 and 8.21
-There is 99% chance that this is a grfx card issue. because it also happen
when I did a 100% ram exchange/ enhancement

hunter
05-13-2005, 02:07 PM
load layout.
click surfaces tab.

wxpsp2/1gbram/p4-2.8ht

Yup. Here Too.

Also Still no background image name in the dropdown list in the uv window in modeler, Clones still don't have numbers in the properites window in layout either.

mgreenway
05-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Hello.
1. In Layout, add the BRDF shader to a surface.
2. Save the surface to a custom preset library
3. reload the surface form the preset shelf and
the BRDF shader is missing. It's Gone Daddio, Gone.

Others shaders stick but not BRDF.
I just did this 10 times, same result every time.

I know I'm a $###head, but can we have another thread for sales pitches, complaints and commentary, and use this one to report and confirm BUGS. The way it is I have to read through allot of Very Interesting but irrelevant stuff to find the bug information.

wacom
05-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Check out this nasty one!

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=36857

not mine- but a good one!

Chrusion
05-13-2005, 09:01 PM
LW 8.3 bug... or maybe a carry over from previous versions <shrug>.

Description:

Applying the FLARE2ALPHA image filter plugin DOES NOT get saved in
the scene file. Not a good thing for network rendering! This one
cost me 8 hrs of rendering time today.

Info:

Tracked it down after becoming suspicious that the flare I knew was
rendering just fine was not showing up in the embedded alpha (32-bit
image saver). That's when I killed the screamers, loaded the scene
up in Layout, and discovered the Flare2Alpha was missing in the image
filter slot I knew for sure I had recently applied it and did a test
render in LW. SO, I saved the scene, opened it up in notepad, scrolled
to the bottom, and sure enough... no Flare2Alpha plugin listed.

Workaround:

For fun, I closed LW, added the plugin entry manually in notepad, and
sent it off to a screamer node. Sure enough, it worked! Not go my
flare alpha image saving.

cmann_2000
05-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Anyone having trouble with adaptive sampling? Every time I turn it on, it automatically turns it off when I press render. And if I have it on when using PLD, sometimes it randomly changed antialiasing from 1-pass to none. Can anyone confirm?

tischbein3
05-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Check out this nasty one!

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=36857

not mine- but a good one!

confirmed.

totaly messed up hirachy. (Like multible none (=base) entries) and "locked" selection. (You can select object via mouse, and it will be highlighted, but not selected, only when you explically select it in the bottom popup)

After scene delete I tried to rebuild it, suddenly it didn't occured.

edited:
just happened again:
you cannot select by going to the element popup, the none (not "null" like I've written before) object is the second layer of my object and the name is displayed in the motion option panel.

I did several "load objects"/"clean scenes" before this happened.

EDITED 1st June:
Added (with reproduceable steps)in PC Bug workshop, error #003

tischbein3
05-14-2005, 06:22 AM
After "move pivot" in layout, child objects still use the old pivot position as <0,0,0>

JamesCurtis
05-14-2005, 07:01 AM
cmann_2000,

No problem here with adaptive sampling being turned off with a render, at least with an F9 or F10 [key or menu button] render. I tried 5 renders and no problem.

torobo
05-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Problem: While setting the point radial falloff influence area, if any part of the circle hits the edge of the viewport (e.g. if it is slightly bigger than the viewport), Lwave slows to a crawl. Sometimes even seems to lock, but it can get over it if I wait. Also there is a surge in memory consumption during the process.

To get around this, I have to zoom out and then make sure radius of inluence is small, zoom back in then set the drag tool. This is really frustrating, if I forget to zoomout to make sure the blue circle is small, it takes quite a few seconds before I can get any feedback from modeler.

I have searched the forums and realised some users are also having problem with setting their point radial falloff radius (the default falloff method for dragnet). Other tools also show the problem when you try to set the radius of the inluence area for point radial only (no problem with other falloffs) can anyone confirm?

I'm on a PC. Using ATI 9600pro. The problem was also in 8.2, but continues in 8.3. 7.5 had no problems of this sort.

JamesCurtis
05-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Point Radius Falloff [Modeler]

Didn't notice a problem here at least on my system using an Nvidia GeForce FX 5600XT graphics card. Could be an ATI opengl issue maybe?

jgjones
05-14-2005, 11:04 PM
LW 8.3, Intel, Win2000

I've been using LWSN -3 (batch file) mode a bit since updating to 8.3, and I find that after the batch file finishes and I open up LW, my LW8.CFG file has been excised of all window size/position, key and menu settings. This reduced its size from 26k to 5k. (Fortunately, I had a backup. :) )

Example line from batch file:
LWSN -3 -q -cC:\LW83\Configs Scenes\Anim_C.lws 1 150 1

LWSN worked fine otherwise, rendering the scenes just fine.

I'm not certain if this is a recent bug, since I last used -3 mode with 7.5.

-James Jones

Castius
05-14-2005, 11:10 PM
I have not tested that yet. So it might be true. but i'm pretty sure you are saposed to use a seperate cfg file for lwsn.

jaketapia
05-15-2005, 11:02 AM

So far all to report

J-Rod

I've had the same problem. Also, while trying to animate a basic partigon "rain" scene, whenever I switch from the camera properties back to the partigon settings, the particle emitter shrinks...(or the camera and light grows). I then have to totally resize the emitter again, but it won't keep it's shape (autokey is on)...is there something I'm doing wrong or is this a bug? Thanks.

XP SP2, Dual Xeon 2.0 Ghz, 1 GB RAM

EDIT: I just tried it again and it happened when I rendered the image for a test, so that may be the problem..

m.d.
05-16-2005, 10:51 AM
i got a bug that's bugging me....
i am importing camera tracking data quite often which usually imports a null called "parent object" at 0,0,0.
now quite often if I load an object with it's pivot at 0,0,0 the object will appear to be selected but the selection list will read "parent object", and all the transforms will apply to that null.Even if I select the object with the selection dropdown,"parent object :confused: " will always be selected.
To fix this i go in moddeller and move the object off center, but it is still very frustrating.

Dick Ma
05-17-2005, 07:28 AM
1. Toggle Texture Map Interpolation in Modeler crash modeler. When some isolated vertex points are removed using clear map, using F8 to change Texture Map Interpolation to other modes except Linear, it crashed.

2. In Skelegon Tree, Rename Map and Skelegon Dialog box, OK button is void and lost it's functions.

3. In Layout, JointMorphPlus fails to save setting when scene is save and reopen.

lardbros
05-17-2005, 08:20 AM
2. In Skelegon Tree, Rename Map and Skelegon Dialog box, OK button is void and lost it's functions.

Just tried this, if i'm doing it right, it works for me!
Also, haven't had any probs with my UV texture interpolation crashing LW at all.

Is anyone else experiencing these?

SplittingPixels
05-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Adding a HybridMultiFractal layer to the specularity channel as follows causes a surface preview error... Note that the preview error is only visible when the "use scene lights" option is enabled in SurfaceEditor.

noiseboy
05-17-2005, 12:09 PM
I think this has been the same from LW8 but the fixed frequency toggle in the audio drop down menu in the (new not classic) Scene Editor doesn't toggle i.e. it doesn't appear to be able to be set. And can I put in a request to get decent audio support in the Mac version as well.

LW8.3
Mac OS 10.3.9

toonafish
05-17-2005, 05:04 PM
In Layout Twist, Taper, Pole, Shear and Vortex fail to save spline presets. After reloading they are all back to default.

LW 8.3
Win 2K
Dual Xeon 3.8
Quadro FX 4300

joshthompson3d
05-18-2005, 06:57 AM
In 8.3 modeler, I can't open most of my objects now, but on anther machine with 8.2 I can. The only thing it reads is: Error opening D:/blablalba//blablabal.lwo

Anyone else had this problem?

Jure
05-18-2005, 06:59 AM
In 8.3 modeler, I can't open most of my objects now, but on onther machine with 8.2 I can. The only thing it reads is: Error opening D:/blablalba//blablabal.lwo

Anyone else had this problem?

Yes it happened to me also... see here:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=271517&postcount=14

gaushell
05-18-2005, 08:46 AM
I have found a bug when loading an object. I get weird error "Error reading blablabla file". It seems LW 8.3 has problems reading curves that were imported into LW from dxf.

Here's a buggy file if anyone cares to try it. (http://www.vizualizacije.com/beta_testing/test.lwo)

It loads fine in 8.2.1

I'm getting the same error here. Can't load the files at all. If I open them in DeepExploration and resave as Lightwave they open but all lines previously imported via dxf files are gone.

Makes 8.3 unuseable for our office as we import a lot of dxf files for reference.

Jure
05-18-2005, 09:36 AM
I'm getting the same error here. Can't load the files at all. If I open them in DeepExploration and resave as Lightwave they open but all lines previously imported via dxf files are gone.

Makes 8.3 unuseable for our office as we import a lot of dxf files for reference.

I ended up converting all the curves to polygons. After that I was able to open it in 8.3.

When I import dxf into 8.3 and save it there it works okay though.

gaushell
05-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Yeah, but I can't open objects created in version 8.2 at all that have this type of data.

Clearly a bug that needs to be fixed.

TARoe
05-18-2005, 12:05 PM
It could just be my crappy machine ;) but could some other folks try a simple scene with radiosity and caustics. My scene has a box room, one side open to let the camera look in, no background, a single omni light near the ceiling of the box room. In the room are a bar stool-like table and a semi clear glass vase. There is no other light source. Radiosity produces a nice render of shadows and falloffs. Caustics renders a nice effect on the table from the vase. But, when I combine the two. <sigh> It renders a few polys then slows, then seems to stop. No discernable progress in the preview display after several hours. Though my system processor seems to max out during the entire time period.

Axis3d
05-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Anyone having trouble with adaptive sampling? Every time I turn it on, it automatically turns it off when I press render. And if I have it on when using PLD, sometimes it randomly changed antialiasing from 1-pass to none. Can anyone confirm?

I have tried to reproduce all of the problems you are having. Everything works fine. Adaptive sampling stays on when checked and does not change any settings when using PLD.

Axis3d
05-18-2005, 07:29 PM
In Modeler, Create Joint Morph does not seem to work anymore. When the tool is activated, I can see the HPB handles and can rotate them interactively, or using the numeric panel, but the mesh does not deform into its new position. Can anyone confirm this?

LW 8.3
Windows XP

Axis3d
05-18-2005, 07:48 PM
It could just be my crappy machine ;) but could some other folks try a simple scene with radiosity and caustics. My scene has a box room, one side open to let the camera look in, no background, a single omni light near the ceiling of the box room. In the room are a bar stool-like table and a semi clear glass vase. There is no other light source. Radiosity produces a nice render of shadows and falloffs. Caustics renders a nice effect on the table from the vase. But, when I combine the two. <sigh> It renders a few polys then slows, then seems to stop. No discernable progress in the preview display after several hours. Though my system processor seems to max out during the entire time period.

I made a simple box with one open side for the camera to shoot into. I made a few metallic reflective spheres which sit in the box. I put one point light at the top of the "room". I checked RayTrace Refraction in the Render Options Panel. I rendered at 320x240, no antialiasing for speed, just to check this:

1. Rendered just radiosity. It rendered in 15 seconds.
2. Rendered just caustics (turnded off Radiosity). Rendered in 1 second.
3. Rendered both radiosity & caustics. Rendered in 1 minute

It seems that both of them tak a lot longer to render together than individually. Depending on your antialiasing settings and other factors, it might seem like your system is locked up, but could actually still be rendering.

Hope this helps.

Axis3d
05-18-2005, 07:55 PM
load layout.
click surfaces tab.

wxpsp2/1gbram/p4-2.8ht

I cannot get this to crash no matter how many objects I load or how many times I click on the "Name" frame. This sounds like you need to download the latest driver for your graphics card. That usually fixes interface crash problems like this.

Axis3d
05-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Has anyone had Layout just disappear when loading a motion file? It's been happening several times to me. I'm not talking about a crash and send error report window. Layout just disappears.

Ernest

I save and load motions all the time and Layout has never disappeared.

LW 8.3
WinXP sp2

TARoe
05-18-2005, 09:54 PM
I made a simple box with one open side for the camera to shoot into. I made a few metallic reflective spheres which sit in the box. I put one point light at the top of the "room". I checked RayTrace Refraction in the Render Options Panel. I rendered at 320x240, no antialiasing for speed, just to check this:

1. Rendered just radiosity. It rendered in 15 seconds.
2. Rendered just caustics (turnded off Radiosity). Rendered in 1 second.
3. Rendered both radiosity & caustics. Rendered in 1 minute

It seems that both of them tak a lot longer to render together than individually. Depending on your antialiasing settings and other factors, it might seem like your system is locked up, but could actually still be rendering.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Axis. It is really crawling through mud and glass on its belly if it is. I need to upgrade. I've recently left a dual xeon when I went out on my own, and I'm reeealy feeling the loss. <snif snif> I must get another one. :)

lardbros
05-19-2005, 05:09 AM
I cannot get this to crash no matter how many objects I load or how many times I click on the "Name" frame. This sounds like you need to download the latest driver for your graphics card. That usually fixes interface crash problems like this.

Trouble is i had this one, not that i even use the surfaces panel in the scene editor... and Beevee confirmed it. I have the latest drivers, and still have the prob. Thats the only one that i suffer from out of all the ones posted.

JML
05-19-2005, 07:22 AM
They need to fix all the plugins that were broken when they worked on the PSD exporter.

example :

- buffer export
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=37044

- 'scale by buffer' in the softenreflection plugin

hopefully softenreflection will be the first bug to be fix since it's the first bug in this thread ;)

(the company where I work, InterfaceMultimedia, and that I recently converted to LW , won't be able to upgrade to 8.3 because of that.)
(we use softenreflection a lot on interior renderings, because it's so much faster than doing a real soft reflection from the surface editor.)

---ZENO---
05-20-2005, 04:37 AM
Hi,

My LightWave 8.3 (layout) crashes everytime i try to change the color of my lighting, even if i freshly load layout and just change the color of the default distant light, with no objects it still crashes.

Any ideas?

Bill Carey
05-20-2005, 06:01 AM
This one was reported on usenet, thought I'd post it here.

HV's are ignored by Vector Blur unless they are in front of a moving object. Didn't think it was working at all until the HV's passed in front of another moving object, then they magically appeared, but only on the particles in front of the moving object.
First picture has the plane in the back moving, all particles blured.
Second has the plane stationary. only the particles in front of the ball are blurred.

jgjones
05-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Follow up to my previous post on the subject...

I had a chance to test this some more, and my results are that LWSN -3 deletes most of the LW8.CFG file every time, and is completely repeatable. I prepared a simple test scene, using my existing configs, and also tried deleting all configs and creating new ones. Each time LWSN finished rendering the scene, it re-wrote the config file, removing all the window position/size info, and all custom key and menu info, reducing the file size down to 3-5k.

Example .bat file line:
LWSN -3 -q -cC:\LW83\Configs Scenes\LWSN3Test.lws 1 10 1

LW 8.3, Win2000

-Jim

mjanson
05-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Here is a few bugs that I've contacted newtek about multiple times, but never recieved a response or seen it fixed. Hopefully, it's not only me who finds it annoying and time consuming to work around.

1. Graph Editor
The copy keys function (ctrl+RMB) does not work properly when performing it on multiple channels that have an offset starting point in terms of the selection. The preview, which the program shows, is correct in terms of what should happen. (also how it has worked in previous versions of lightwave (6-6.5... not sure about 7). What it does is to offset all channels to the last selected channels starting point...

http://www.assortednuts.se/lwbugs/Issue1.jpg

2. Graph Editor
There is a problem with the stretch function in the graph editor. When performing it on multiple channels it deselects some of the selected points and randomly selects others.

http://www.assortednuts.se/lwbugs/Issue2.jpg

nemac4
05-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Shift + S saving crash while in Bone Edit mode in layout
I can reproduce it on some scenes but not all and I also,.. sometimes while using Shift+S to save a scene,.. get a scene named 00000000. :confused:

spawn101
05-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Im just modeling an alien character with a box shape underneath it. Nothing special, and my program has an error that pops up saying that the program is quiting it has done this a few times already in Modlere and in Layout

Dodgy
05-22-2005, 07:59 PM

I get the same problem. All my .lwo files which were originally .dxf s are now broken. All worked in previous version (8.1 I think, though you say 8.2.1 so i'll take your word for it)
Run them through DE and they work fine.

luka
05-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Hi all
Mac OSX.3.9 LW 8.3
My reversed bungie jumping cursor is still here. e.g If I am tweaking a procedural texture and I input an entry say on the last setting my cursor jumps to the first setting and I accidentally change it, very frustrating as cmmd z does not work on the menu panels.

LW still renders transparent refractive surfaces incorrectly. So when can we see a single surface refraction in LW? As most recently I've had to surface my objects with an outside and inside surface with bump maps, I would be tweaking the outside surface in all fields then trying to remember the settings and coping fields from one to another it's really counterproductive. If we could only copy say the bump channel from one surface to another that would be 50% helpful.

Darksuit
05-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Some Odd behavior.
So I have been working on a model to better understand cloth, fur, and procedural texturing. I save fairly often and when i make changes or start with a new part such as endomorphs I save as a new verision number.

Problem:
Verision number 7 of my model Loads Just fine
Verisions 8, and 9 both chrashed Modelers, Reporting that the problem was with the ATI driver.

Expected Results:
To be able to open the model file that I was just working on with no difficulties.

Solution:
What i did to fix this problem was to Reset the configuration files in Lightwave. While troublesome, it did allow me to get back to my modeling.

Differences:
Normally I run the bulk standard setup for lightwave, no real modifications to the UI, however lately I have been using the Independent Zoom and Center. I Also had additional Procedural Textures loaded. Having Gone back and reapplied standard (out of the box) procedural textures to the model it looks as though that may have been the culprit, however these same textures were applied in Rev. 7 So i am not quite understanding what is magic about the config files that works some sort of magic...

System Specs:
AMD 3200+
ATI 9800 Pro
1.5 Gig of 3200 DDR Ram

Attachments:
Attached are the LWO models that i have been working with.

mgreenway
05-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Item 1: I noticed that there was something screwy while I was surfacing yesterday. Nothing seemed to be working right. I traced it down to one of the lights in my standard lighting rigs. It was an area light at 9% intensity, near white, with a 4 quality but it was emitting negative light (or something like it). I varied the intensity from 9 to 150% but it didn’t change anything. I directed another area light (lite2) to overlap onto the same surface, where lite2 only hit, the surface was normal, but where the bad light hit, the surface was darker, much darker. I deleted the light, added a new one, entered the exact same parameters and it worked fine. This has happened on another scene today.

Item 2: loading a 1000x1000 image into the surface editor changed to camera resolution to 1000 x 1000 when I did the next render.

Item 3: the rounder tool, I don’t understand how selecting a point that isn’t within the correct polygon can be allowed to make modeler unstable and lock up. (as the error message says) wouldn’t the program check the selection first, then not take any action that would cause a crash but rather notify you first. I don’t understand it.

TARoe
05-25-2005, 05:38 PM
I get the same rounder error, a lot.

Tim Parsons
05-27-2005, 11:58 AM
I’ve had this happen on many occasions and I thought I’d take a minute to share. Load an existing scene and remove an object, then go to modeler and send a layered and parented object to layout. In layout rotate one of the layers from this object and notice that the HPB numeric panel responds to the mouse inputs but the object stays at 0,0,0. Also notice that the object, while high-lighted, is not selected in the item pop-up. Save and reload the scene and the object is now in the rotated position, high-lighted and selected in the item pop-up. This is easily repeated time and time again on my end, anyone else having this issue?

ercaxus
05-28-2005, 07:42 PM
In motion options/parent item list, sometimes an object's name disappears and it becomes (none).

When I try to unparent an object (either by clicking unparent button or choosing
none in the list) that is affected by this I get a message telling me that
it can not be parented to itself (probably the object itself is none so chosing none makes no sense to LW.

Another thing that happens is I can see the pivot of the object moving when I move an object but the object stays
in place until I move the frame slider. Usually lightwave crashes after this in couple
mins max.

reinstalling lw didn't help
winXpSp2 P4 2.8ht 1gb Ram

ercaxus
05-28-2005, 07:59 PM
again w/ two nulls. i don't know if only nulls cause this

Thatguy7703
05-29-2005, 12:46 AM
I try to load a scene that i have been working on. It loads fine. I get everything done. I render a frame to see how it looks, no problem. I go and save the render and try to render scene and it crashes. try it again and same problem. I have render this scene and had no problems before i got Tiger and the 8.3 update. I tried to render the scene without saving it no problem. I so lost, I need some help!!! So any ideas will be helpful.

Thanks

jabbermike
05-30-2005, 10:52 AM
If I turn all bones on with the "Bone On" Tool, LW seems to forget, that I reajusted the rotation of some of the bones with the "Bone Twist"/"Save Pivot Rotation" Tool => the object gets twisted.
The problem does not occure with the mirrored part of the rig and it does not happen if I select all bones and hit the "r" key.

I can confirm the funny bug with "save as"/"save incremental" in "Bone Edit" mode, replacing the file name with a bunch of numbers (mine was 4034). But most of the times LW crashes.

LW sometimes forgets the new bone setting after "Save Pivot Rotation".

LW sometimes twists the rigged object just upon loading. Only restarting LW loads the scene correctly.

mike

Giacomo99
05-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Hello-

I want to confirm the "Save Pivot Rotation" bug:

8.3 Layout consistently rotates any scene files with changed pivot rotations back to the original numerical setting (from Modeler). The thing is, it also APPLIES THE RESULTING DEFORMATION TO THE MODEL: the result is often a complete mess. in my experience, "Save Pivot Rotation" is completely unusable in 8.3.

I also want to confirm that "Incremental Save" on certain projects seems to cause Modeler or Layout to crash.

I can also confirm the "Weird Camera Scaling When Parented To Null" bug.

I'm using LW 8.3, Mac Dual 2.5 G5, Radeon 9800 card.

Thanks.

mdunakin
05-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Like it says.
I put together a complete Flash SplineControl Bug Report as
well as my Work Around to get it to work as you expect it to.
Doesn't fix the bug or anything, but it keeps you on the
right track when saving and reloading your scenes.
Oh, and it's a tutorial to flip a page in a book.
http://www.md-arts.com/SplineControl_BookPageFlip_Bug_Fix_02_viewlet_swf. html
And the files for this scene:
http://www.md-arts.com/SplineControl_PageFlipFix.zip

http://www.md-arts.com/SplineControl_PageFlip_Bug_Fix_Render_01.jpg

Have fun and enjoy!
That goes for NewTek as well ;)

.................................................. .................................md :)

mdunakin
05-31-2005, 11:59 PM
Here ya go.
Check this image out and you'll see how the HVs are now screwy in LW8.3.
They look normal, until I check the Self Shadow for the HVs.
It makes them not only no shadows, but it changes the color also.
As you can see in the image, the Green HVs are now Solid Blue,
as well as the Blue HVs, as it doesn't really matter what color they are.

If you need the scene files for this, let me know and I'll post them up?

Anyone else get these weird results from their HVs?
http://www.md-arts.com/HV_Shadow_Bug_01.jpg

Thanx..................md :)

mav3rick
06-01-2005, 12:55 PM
load it CLICK raytrace shdw in render panel, njoy freezing.

www.null.hr/tmp/bug.rar

p.s. i just discovered if you set transparency to 0 % in hv3 panel all will be fine
anythin more than 0% is crash
this only COUNT if you have blending off

mdunakin
06-02-2005, 02:28 PM
I just posted up a link for the PageFlip SplineControl Tutorial for people to download.
That way, people can save it to their HD for later, offline review if they want to.
Sound good?

OK, here's the link:
http://www.md-arts.com/SplineControl_BookPageFlip_Bug_Fix_02.viewlet.zip

Enjoy!
It's about 4.5megs in size.

...............md

06-04-2005, 01:35 PM
My Workstation (XPsp1) has WL8.3 working fine, new Dongle drivers installed as instructed. This has produced a worrying change from previous versions.
If I connect to the workstation via remote consol, everything on it works fine (even ACAD2006!) EXCEPT LW8.3 - which 'can't find the hardware lock'
If I discinnect and phonwe someone in the office, and they log onto the workstation as me and launch LW8.3, and then I re-connect via remote consol, I have LW running - until I launch modler, or have to re-start 'cause it's crashed, etc, etc. This happens with both Parallel & USB locks.

I have mentuioned this to Ben atLW Europe, who seemed to think it involves something being left out of the dongle drivers, my understanding would be that it is something complicated, extra, and paranoid put in!

It means that when working at home, I set up a scene & transfer it to the office, I cannot make sure it opens properly from the office (hard though I try to mirror the office network drive mapping on a single PC, usualy something doesn't refer properly). So I can set of hundreds of machine hours rendering with an object or image map missing.

romrom74
06-05-2005, 03:30 PM
hi, I don't know if it's related to the complexity of the mesh I 'm working on but modeler 8.3 crashes every 30 minutes...I can't seem to be able to isolate what makes it so unstable: sometimes it's just rotating the wiew in the perspective window, sometimes while beveling or copy/pasting some polys....8.2 worked like a charm and I was very glad discovering the 8.3 new features but this release drives me mad when it comes to stability! I didn't change anything on my computer (os, gpu drivers, etc) so I don't understand whats' going on but I suspect it's to do with some changes made in the opengl area or something...I really feel I should uninstall this version and come back to 8.2.1...this would be the first time I do somthing like that... :eek:

joschy
06-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Hello,
just tryed the pdbreaderv3 for a job and find out that he doesnīt work correct.
Then I do a google search for Sean PDB Reader and found the older PDB_Reader_v2.85.ls L-Script which is working fine.... :rolleyes:
Leave the pdbreaderv3 out and put the PDB_Reader_v2.85.ls in. :D

Thanks,
joschy

Noclar7
06-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Please newtek, can you resolve this dongle driver issue with safenet! I have been LWless now for weeks, it rediculous, and I really dont want to format, but if nothing happens by this weekend Im going to have to. And if it doesnt work after that......

please read here for info

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=36803&page=1

jabbermike
06-08-2005, 11:30 AM
I never deleted the config files when I update LW. But sice 8.3 I think that is really necessary.

To keep all menu and key shortcut configurations, open the Key Panel (ALT +F9) and Menu Panel (ALT + F10) and save your setting from there. After deleting them (or renaming them into somthing like LW8.cfg.old - and donīt forget the hub.cfg) load the saved key and menu configs back into LW through the Key and Menu Panels.

The only thing I lost, was the configuration of the numeric pad in modeler, and my custom camera settings. But thatīs not very hard to remake.

Since I made that, LW crashes very seldom (once or twice a day).

One thing that I noticed on my old workstation was, after loading the default BIOS setup, LW crashed much less frequent than bevor.

mike

mdunakin
06-08-2005, 12:59 PM
My LW8.3 crashes sooo much, that I'm seriously debating uninstalling it and
reinstalling the older version of 8.2.1 as it didn't crash as often as this one does.
What are others doing about this?
Should I just bare through it or what?
Or should I just go ahead and install the earlier version that worked fine,
which was 8.2.1 and use that one for jobs and the 8.3 one for finding
and reporting bugs?

Cuz yesterday, (along with all the other days too) just doing simple things like
moving an object back and forth from Modeler to Layout or just from rotating
the view in Layout, (or sometimes Modeler) things would sudenly freeze up and
I'd get the standard message of do I want to to send in this error to who ever.

Is there any particular reason that "this" version of LW is soooooooooo bugged out?

Drives me nutty!
All I did yesterday during one of the many crashes, was to simply "Save" the
object in Modeler, and Bamm!, just as soon as I got done saving (luckily)
Modeler and Layout both crashed.

At least I got this last one to let me save "before" it crashed, instead of the other way around LOL

I'll still keep at it for a while more, but if a job comes in, then I'll probably have to
create a fresh install for doing work on, and just use this version, 8.3, for finding
bugs and recreating them to prove that they are there or what not.

Sound about right to any others?

thanx for your time............................................md :)

romrom74
06-08-2005, 04:32 PM
glad to see that I 'm not alone mdunakin....I just started to believe I'vz done somthing wrong with this upgrade...i'm fed up with these neverending crashes. plesase newtek do something, try to fix things without compromising the whole software!!!I'm just about to start a fresh new (commercial) project and i think the wisest thing to do is to get my old 8.2.1 version installed back!do you really think this is NORMAL????!!!

lardbros
06-08-2005, 06:37 PM
I haven't had loads of abnormal crashes until i reformatted my PC and installed a fresh copy of LW.

Just a minute ago i was simply altering weight maps on a vey simple character, trying to get the deformations right. I switched to Modeller to alter the arm, switched back, and BLAM... crash. I guess this is the HUBS fault, but it shouldn't happen. Impossible to duplicate the error, but luckily i always save every time i alter anything.

It's annoying that LW was more stable before my clean install. PC's are so finicky about the order in which things are installed, drives me crazy. A few things are different now that i've installed everything again. :confused: Like my bandsaw numeric interface. It used to be quite a long white bar which you put the cuts in, and now it isn't. If i resize the window larger it doesn't make the white strip any bigger. Extremely minor, but it looked nicer before and why has it changed?

klak
06-11-2005, 05:03 AM
lw_makrorecorder not working correctly

hi all,

after installing the latest version/update of LW i decided to give LScript a go.
In Layout i used LightWave`s Makrorecorder which seemed a good place to start.

I found that the recorder only records a Refresh() and the first command/action i performed in Layout. This behaviour has been confirmed by a lot of other people by now. I also did send a 'bugreport' to Newtek with a description of the steps i performed. Do they usually reply to those kind of mails ? At least let you know they received it ?
Anyways, please don`t advise to use the LScript Commander instead. I know it`s there and i know how to use it ;)
As long as lw_makrorecorder is shipped with the app i simply would like it to be working.

cheers
klaus

Surrealist.
06-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Getting a repeateble crash in scene editor when toggling By Object and By Scene button in Surfaces Panel.

Loaded several scenes provided on content CD and was able to repeat every time even after reboot.

Surrealist.
06-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Also getting several crashes now at diffrent times in Surfaces Tab of Scene Editor.

Also selecting a surface in Scn Editor does not select in Surf editor.

kevman3d
06-13-2005, 04:08 PM
I've seen this posted in various ways here already, but nobody seems to reply (where items are called the same name, etc). Here's how to reproduce this issue (it happens on both PC and Mac versions of 8.3 - Just checked the Mac)

Create three nulls - Give them unique names (null1, v2, triple3 - For example).
Clear the v2 null from the scene
Add a new null, call it 'Number4'

Note how its visually selected, however the object 'item' now says 'null1' - Though the name is correct in the item menu if you open it and try reselect it. Open the classic scene editor - There are now TWO null1's as well.

Select the Number4 null (make sure its visually selected - You will never see its name anyway) - Clear it and it clears null1 instead. Not very nice if you are working with Dynamics and PFX and clear one of the effectors and add a new one.

Another bug. Surface Baker...

Select the option -'Bake Shaders' - I think its attempting to bake itself cause it just crashes... Deactivate 'Bake Shaders' and all works fine...

Kev.

mdunakin
06-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Surrealist,
I just tried your Scene Editor Surfaces test, and the instant I clicked
on the button called "Object", I got that "do you want to send this error
message thingy", meaning LW just crashed.

http://www.md-arts.com/SceneEditorSurfacesLW83_Crash.jpg

Now to try out your other one :)

I also think I need to mention here, that I mostly use the "old" Scene Editor.
This new one just confuses me too much and also has weird crashes from
time to time, including this one here, which I never heard of till now.
But, I've been trying to get into the new SE more, so I'll see how things go.

.................md :)

Surrealist.
06-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Wow, Interesting. OK. yea and it was pretty repeateble on my end.

Don't know about the selection thing but we'll see. I couldn't get it to work.

Surrealist.
06-14-2005, 12:54 PM
nevermind...

Surrealist.
06-14-2005, 09:54 PM
IK Booster Rotation control Limits not working correctly.

Setting the stiffness amount has no effect. Tried even rediculously high number. For Character, OK, perhaps not for a machine.

mdunakin
06-15-2005, 02:09 AM
Surrealist, so,,,, that's what's been happening to me for the past three nights!?
I thought it was just me being lame or something?
I'd make adjustments, and no affect (IK Booster).
I kept having to set things in the regular Motion Panel.
Nothing seemed to be matching up, was all I could tell.
I also froze and crashed a few times.
I save often though :)

.................................................. ......md :)

Surrealist.
06-15-2005, 02:38 AM
Interesting. Well there you go. Thanks for the info. Good to know I am not loosing my own mind.

John Melvin
06-15-2005, 07:39 AM
null, 5 bones, click on IK boost and LW 8.3 crashes.

Win 2000p, dual 2.4, 2 G RAM, Nvidia video,

LW with VT 4 also crashes.

John

mdunakin
06-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Worked for me (meaning, it didn't crash).
Just curious though, as to what would be the purpose of this?

thanx......................md :)

mdunakin
06-15-2005, 01:37 PM
OK, here's the weird one I've been dealing with for the past several days,
since I started spending a lot of time learning the IK Booster and rigging.
I also used the sample mentioned above about the Null with 5 Bones,
which worked out fine on my end, but in this example of mine it does this
no matter what bone rig setup or scene I'm working with.

http://www.md-arts.com/IK_Boost_BoneSelection.jpg

As you can see in the image, if bones have IK Enabled and you also are using
the IK Booster, when you select a bone by clicking on the bone "right in the
Layout window", it will show whatever the last bone was that you had
selected earlier in whatever mode you were in and will NOT change to
reflect which bone you are currently selecting.
Make sense?
Sure is strange and weird.
Because as you can see, the current selected bone, is in reality,
Bone(5) and NOT Bone(2), as shown by the yellow arrows.
You can go on to select other bones from the Layout window and it still won't
change what is displayed down at the bottom in the Current Item selection button.
Now, "IF" you Disable the IK, then things work as expected.
And of course, it also works as expected if you don't use the IK Booster.

And of course, this is completely recreatable.
BTW, I'm kinda having fun weeding out these bugs with recreatable scenarios ;)
Oh, and of course, I'm still having fun learning how to rig.
My first attempt with the new rigging tools in 8,
namely, IK Booster for the most part along with others.
WIP image bellow, even though this thread is for bugs.
But this IS the project that I've been running into all the bugs with, using IK-B.
And as long as I'm at it here, I might as well mention that when you do a
Mirror Hierarchy of the Bones, it doesn't completely mirror them.
Meaning, that some of the set Limitations that are made for the first Bone Chain
do not stay set when you Mirror them and you end up having to manully reset
them all over again, as well as having to reset the postions of the Controllers.
http://www.md-arts.com/HornyToadLizardFirstRigging_01.jpg

Try this and have fun :)

.................................................. ........md :)

Surrealist.
06-15-2005, 03:03 PM
OK, here's the weird one I've been dealing with for the past several days,
since I started spending a lot of time learning the IK Booster and rigging.
I also used the sample mentioned above about the Null with 5 Bones,
which worked out fine on my end, but in this example of mine it does this
no matter what bone rig setup or scene I'm working with.

http://www.md-arts.com/IK_Boost_BoneSelection.jpg

As you can see in the image, if bones have IK Enabled and you also are using
the IK Booster, when you select a bone by clicking on the bone "right in the
Layout window", it will show whatever the last bone was that you had
selected earlier in whatever mode you were in and will NOT change to
reflect which bone you are currently selecting.
Make sense?
Sure is strange and weird.
Because as you can see, the current selected bone, is in reality,
Bone(5) and NOT Bone(2), as shown by the yellow arrows.
You can go on to select other bones from the Layout window and it still won't
change what is displayed down at the bottom in the Current Item selection button.
Now, "IF" you Disable the IK, then things work as expected.
And of course, it also works as expected if you don't use the IK Booster.

Try this and have fun :)

.................................................. ........md :)
And of course, this is completely recreatable.

BTW, I'm kinda having fun weeding out these bugs with recreatable scenarios ;)

Yea also you can select the other way around and it will update IK booster. Scroll through the object drop down and it will update IK booster but clicking in the window does not update the scroll list.

Probably more of a feature request than a bug. I noticed this right off too.

What is really needed is feedback on what you have selected in the window and in the current config that is missing.

So yea, good one.

I'll copy this here and put it int the feature request.

mdunakin
06-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Surrealist,
OK, well, maybe this IS a feature request issue, but it sure "looks" like a bug,
since why would you be able to select a bone in the Layout window and
have it change the display bellow when you "don't" have IK Enabled?
It "only" acts up when you're in IK Booster Mode, "with" the IK Enabled.
Seems to me, that this would be a bug, no?
Plus, go back through and reread that last post, as I updated it some
more with more info about some other issues :)

..............md :)

mdunakin
06-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Just bringing this up, to help out with the bug reports, but can everyone put
their computer specs in their Profile so the rest of us can see what they are working with?
It'd be nice to know as well as probably help out NT with narrowing things down.

I've updated mine to reflect this issue.

thanx....................md :)

Surrealist.
06-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Ok Well I don't have time to grab pics on this one and give all of the details but... Bone twist is returning many unpredictable and undesireable results.

1) Load the Girraff scene from content/Scenes/Rigs

2) With the Giraffe object selected click on Bone twist

3) Hit space bar.

Nothing happens.

Good

Now notice what happened.

If you play with enable IK enable deform and truning bones on and off without envoking the bone twist tool you will notice the configuration that Bone Twist defaults to when envoked:

IK Off
Bones On

You notice this by comparing the position of the legs of the Girraffe with the state it invokes under the tool to playing with these settings.

So if you know anything about bones you will know that you don't want to be twisting things around with bones active.

See what happens when you do.

Select bone twist and rotate a bone, hit the space bar.

Enable IK and bones.

Select a single bone, Enable Bone Twist tool for more fun results.

And it won't let you turn off the bones once with the tool is active.

Now this is under Joint Move and Tip Move which are both able to allow you to manipulate the bone and not affect the mesh (Within reason in so far as influednce is concerned). So I assume this in the purpose, though it did not say so in the manual and I have heard of this tool used as a fix for bone rotations and such which is usually due to creating skellegons and having their bank rotations at -/+ 90 rotation creating problems in animation.

The point is as far as I understand this is supposed to fix bone roations at the sub rest level.

I even tried hitting r after the fact, but that is- as one would expect - redundant because that is what this tool is supposed to do.

I also tried this in Bone Edit mode.

One thing I did check is that the bone I twisted did actualy rotate the bone below it. It states in the manual that this is NOT supposed to rotate the child bone.

Of course not. That is the point, right?

If so this tool simply does not work.

Surrealist.
06-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Just bringing this up, to help out with the bug reports, but can everyone put
their computer specs in their Profile so the rest of us can see what they are working with?
It'd be nice to know as well as probably help out NT with narrowing things down.

I've updated mine to reflect this issue.

thanx....................md :)

Yea, forgot about that.

Puttin it in my profile now.

Surrealist.
06-15-2005, 04:27 PM
As I had come to understand it. (see pic below)

Also Align Pitch has similar problems.

From some other threads regarding bone rest positions and Motion Mixer I am starting to have the opinion that something is wrong at the core here. Something with how some of these tools are handling the rest positions of bones. I don't know but it is sure showing up in the tools here.

mdunakin
06-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Surrealist, I'm glad to see you are here regularly and helping with these bug reports.
Most of the time, people just want to complain and ***** about (supposed) bugs,
yet never bother to report them here or to the [email protected] email address.
I for one, am doing this because I truely want to help and see if we can get
these things worked out for the next update and versions and such.

thanx and I hope more people will start doing the same.......md :)

P.S. Have you tested out the report I made in my earlier post about
the Mirroring of Bone Hierarchies and the Limit Settings?

Surrealist.
06-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Surrealist, I'm glad to see you are here regularly and helping with these bug reports.
Most of the time, people just want to complain and ***** about (supposed) bugs,
yet never bother to report them here or to the [email protected] email address.
I for one, am doing this because I truely want to help and see if we can get
these things worked out for the next update and versions and such.

thanx and I hope more people will start doing the same.......md :)

P.S. Have you tested out the report I made in my earlier post about
the Mirroring of Bone Hierarchies and the Limit Settings?

Thanks, I agree.

And no I haven't but I'll look for it and give it a shot.

Surrealist.
06-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Surrealist,
OK, well, maybe this IS a feature request issue, but it sure "looks" like a bug,
since why would you be able to select a bone in the Layout window and
have it change the display bellow when you "don't" have IK Enabled?
It "only" acts up when you're in IK Booster Mode, "with" the IK Enabled.
Seems to me, that this would be a bug, no?
Plus, go back through and reread that last post, as I updated it some
more with more info about some other issues :)

I have no idea man I'm just the janitor. :) I can see your point though. Either way I am glad you brought it up cause it is such a pain.

Will look at the other stuff.

EDIT: Yea, I see now. I haven't tried this yet but I'll check it out. Nice model by the way.

I seem to remember isn't there a copy and paste on those input panels for IKboost controler restraints? It would make the resetting those a little easier.

mdunakin
06-16-2005, 12:06 AM
Thanx for the Model comments :)
I can't wait to add him to my desert scene I already have setup for him.

As for the Limits thing, the problem with the Copy and Paste,
is that then you're still using the wrong Limits, since they need
to be "mirrored" and the copy and paste part won't do that.

I kept reading the Docs trying to find a way to mirror those
settings on their own, but still haven't.

So, it looks like I'll still end up having to "manually reset" the limits.

Imagine having to do this to a ton of limits.
I only have a few bones for this guy, but if it had more, it'd be a nightmare.

Anyway, still hoping to find a way to copy and paste a "mirrored" limits.
I'm hoping that I just missed something in the docs?
Cuz it seems like I seen a Dan Ablan video or something like that,that showed
how to do this, so maybe I can find it on the thrid party disk or something?

............md :)

mdunakin
06-16-2005, 03:59 AM
OK, I was working with my rig again tonight and also noticed that the
selection issues that were mentioned earlier, also have the same
problems when going from Bones to Camera.
The bones still show up in the selection, even though
you have selected the Camera button.
But, if you move the mouse over the button, "without even clicking the button"
the selection will change to either None or show some other camera that
you have and not the one that is actually selected.

Oh, and BTW, now none of my rig works anymore.
Everything just sits there all locked up.
I have no idea why this is happening tonight, when it all
worked fine last night, the last time I worked on the rig.
Last time I saved out the scene, everything worked great, as you were
able to see that in the image I posted showing the lizard in a position.
When I loaded up the exact same scene tonight, nothing works!
I tried turning things Off and On and other things.
No luck.
I'll try again tomorrow.
Maybe I'll have to start my rig all over again or something?
Uhg.

................md :)

Surrealist.
06-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Got no response from this in the forum so it must be a bug"

I have two nulls, one named Controler and the other Rotation to learn the controls of Cycler.

I have the Cycler Modifier Assigned to the Rotation.H channel of the Rotation null in the Modifiers tab of the Graph Editor.

I have its controler as the X position of the Controler null.

I have tried all combinations and can not get it to "cycle" as the name implies it always stops after it has completed it's 360 rotation cycle which is set to frame 10.

Not getting much from the manual on Cyvler I took what was given on Cyclist to fill in the blanks. I got Cyclist to work but not Cycler.

As you can see with an offset of 1 M it does delay the roation but it just stops after 360.

Even with the cycle frame set beyond 10 - which it shouldn't be anyway.

Surrealist.
06-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanx for the Model comments :)
As for the Limits thing, the problem with the Copy and Paste,
is that then you're still using the wrong Limits, since they need
to be "mirrored" and the copy and paste part won't do that.
............md :)

Yea, now I gotcha. For heading limits as an example that'd even be a different number wouldn't it? Or could you just ad a plus or minus to the figure? Sorry not doing it right now so I am not sure but anyway still tedious.

Yea if there were tons of bones?

Wew!

Surrealist.
06-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Oh, and BTW, now none of my rig works anymore.
Everything just sits there all locked up.

I had this happen when the limits were messed up. Maybe you could recheck those.

mdunakin
06-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do tonight when I work on it again,
is to check out all the limits and such.
It was getting late, and that's never a good time to start playing games with your rigs LOL

And as for the limits and copying and pasting thing, I thought of the plus
and minus deal too, but really, that wouldn't work anyway, which it didn't,
as the numbers are completely different numbers then what you'd think,
since they work on the 360 degree numbering, which means, the opposite
of 40 woulld be something like 260 or something like that.

Today I'm spending some time going through all my old softwares and are "giving" them away.
If you want any of them, let me know?

I'll be posting up the info to the CG-Talk forum.

Surrealist.
06-17-2005, 12:25 AM
Again stiffness setting does nothing here either.

lt_ethe
06-20-2005, 01:29 PM
exact same problem. My rig is stiff, can't move the IK nulls.

Works if I delete all keys, but that's not an acceptable solution as I'm midway through an animation.

Surrealist.
06-21-2005, 12:24 AM
When using Item Comment and the plugin Item Comment Display things get crossed up.

Applying the item comment to the null object is fine, but with the null selected and the Item Comment Display custom object plugin is applied the plugin reads :"Light Comment: (no comment).

Then in Layout if you click on the null it selects the light.

(It also managed to dial my Aunt Jesibell in Bute Montanna but if you can keep that feature it would be cool. We had a nice chat.)

Para
06-21-2005, 07:55 AM
OK, I don't know if this is an old bug or not but anyway, here is it:

The Subdivide Polygons tool messes up UV:s quite badly by adding a lot of useless points -apparently duplicates of other points- to the UV map. Simple steps to reproduce:
1) Create a cube.
2) UVmap it. Atlas with default settings will do fine.
3) Subdivide couple of times, settings don't matter.

End result should look something like this:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~stupid/romuk/subdivattu_kuutio.png

Surrealist.
06-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Lead the follower would not open dialog. It is supposed to open a small dialogue if you double click after adding it as a modier in the motion options panel.

It was fixed by doing this:

I don't get any error message, but no panel either! To fix it, open the script in notepad or simular and remove (or just put // infront of it to turn it into a comment)

return;

right after the line

reqbegin("Lead The Follower");

I would bugreport this, because I can't see why that return statement should be there, atleast not all alone like that.

Example:

THIS

return;

TO THIS:

//return;

Surrealist.
06-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Clicking on Auto range in the Curve Conform displacement plugin has no effect.

Surrealist.
06-22-2005, 12:20 AM
Getting this error message when trying to move object.

lardbros
06-22-2005, 02:53 AM
Getting this error message when trying to move object.

Yep, i'm getting this one, just to confirm it... also try changing any of the values, just an error every time. NOT GOOD.

Blimey looks like Newtek have a lot to fix again for the next update. Seems like it's alot tougher refining code than starting from scratch?

Aquaman
06-22-2005, 05:45 AM
OK, I don't know if this is an old bug or not but anyway, here is it:

The Subdivide Polygons tool messes up UV:s quite badly by adding a lot of useless points -apparently duplicates of other points- to the UV map. Simple steps to reproduce:

I just tried it out and I'm seeing the same thing. On the object I tried it on the stray vertices went to actual geometry and didn't appear to be duplicated as far as I could tell, but it jumbles the points so much all over the UV map it's really hard to tell one way or the other.

Surrealist.
06-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Yep, i'm getting this one, just to confirm it... also try changing any of the values, just an error every time. NOT GOOD.

Blimey looks like Newtek have a lot to fix again for the next update. Seems like it's alot tougher refining code than starting from scratch?

Thanks, yea, I got the other messages too but didn't post - oops. Thanks for posting it.

Surrealist.
06-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Refer to this thread:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=280797#post280797

Part of the comands don't seem to be working.

PixelFarmer
06-24-2005, 11:37 AM
There used to be a great Graph Editor feature in which the Save/Load expressions could be used to quickly add, remove, and modify the expressions in a scene. If the expressions in a library were edited and reloaded, they replaced the expressions of the same name in the scene. Editing an expression library in a text editor and then importing into the scene is much easier and more powerful than editing expressions in the graph editor.

Now when I reimport the library, expressions with same name as existing expressions are appended with a number and added to the list. :eek: :(

Changed or broke? (If its changed, I consider it broke).

Could "replace" at least be an option :confused:

Thanks.

Mitch

evenflcw
06-25-2005, 09:27 AM
#001 - The SPECIAL BUFFERs are BUSTED!!!

LW 8.3, Win2K SP4, Athlon64, 512MB

001- the image filter 'soften reflection' seems to be not working properly now. when I check 'scale by Surface buffer' , it still blurs all reflections in the scene.. (would it work if I copy the zblur.p from LW8.2.1 ? )No image filter applied with special buffer option works anymore!!! The special buffers are apparently busted! They are ignored completely by any and all filters. Soften Reflection and Corona simply ignores them, and WaveFilter (with "Special Surface" option, which I assume is the same thing) chooses to crash LW.

I don't know about earlier versions of 8, but they work fine on 7.5c.

iandavis
06-25-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm officially frustrated. I have been fighting modeler since version 7 on this..

it will just up and quit. "modeler.exe has generated errors and will be shut down by windows..etc. etc."

It does seem to be connected to cut/paste within layers.

It has become such an issue with me, I have already purchased another tool do do the job, which itself is crazy. I have paid a LOT of money for this software and for it to be patently unstable is UNACCEPTABLE.

I run Lightwave on one of four different computers.
Dell laptop (P4/nvidia/512MB RAM)
P4-3.2/Radeon/2GB RAM
Athlon1200/nvidia/800MB RAM
P4-3.2/nvidia/2GB RAM

and it does it on ALL OF THESE MACHINES.

i have tried both win 2k and win XP.

i have tried clean installs, reinstalled LW, most current drivers, bla bla bla.

I'm a multimedia developer and i'm here to tell you. Modeler is just plain unstable. I HATE using it. every second I figure might be another crash. I have lost HUNDREDS of hours of work over the past 2 years and finally I'm tired of reporting, and reporting, and getting nothing.

when I reported this bug (oh... 5 times) to newtek, the response is.. "must be your video card... must be your dongle drivers... must be your LW install"

No... after wasting at least 40 hours, YES a whole work week... debugging, reinstalling, trying many, many different ways of doing things I FINALLY decided it's time to move on. I need Lightwave since I have an archive of models, but I have been using other tools and unlike Lightwave, they crash ONCE IN A WHILE... not every hour.

Sorry Newtek but this is just plain UNACCEPTABLE.

STOP adding new features and address the serious stability issues that have been paguing both modeler and layout for YEARS.

DISGUSTED.

Ian Davis.

kevman3d
06-25-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm officially frustrated. I have been fighting modeler since version 7 on this..

You say since LW7? That's really unusual - I don't know, but to have had consistant problems for such a long time, and on multiple machines would lead me to consider perhaps some data issues could be at fault here. Maybe your mesh data has some kind of issues - VMap corruption, or flakey point data - I've seen the latter issue randomly in the past since 7.x came out, where a point will obtain an infinite location inside the mesh, causing lots of crashes in both layout and modeler - The only solution was to purge the troublesome polys and rebuild them.

Usually the easiest way to test this is to load your model and press 'a' to fit it to the viewport. An inifinite point will appear as a line in your viewport (the infinite poly - The model becomes super-tiny). Sometimes the point issue could be in a layer deep inside the mesh that was left behind from another tool (such as Julienne, etc) that you never realised was there.

The best approach to finding resolution on this one, rather then reinstalling, tweaking and fiddling with the system would be to send NewTek one of the meshes you were working on when it crashed, explain the steps you went through before the crash occured and let them analyse it.

Just my 2c worth on the matter... I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad run... :(

Surrealist.
06-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Saved the current light then tried to use "load itmes from scene" on the one-light scene it created and got this:

mspink
06-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Just discovered whilst consolidating scenes-
Scene that rendered fine i.e. as I wanted in 8.2 (converted from 8.01) now renders somewhat neon (HyperVolels that is).
8-2_Render is old (thank **** I finished before updating) render, 8-3_Render is the new psychadelic version...
Have re-loaded original scene (pre 'content manager' version) and still renders neon-blue.
Alpha channel looks right though?!?
Eyeballed HV settings in Layout and still mid-brown base colour with mid-grey texture colour, so GUI still lookes like V8.2.
Help!

PS.
Whilst sussing 'content manager' before finding main gripe - realised it doesn't give a toss about '.pfx' files, you have to manually re-load them from new directory (after manually copying then there), then re-save scene file. (is this a bug or just a shrug?)

Pix are 8.2 render then 8.3 render

mspink
06-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Consolidated another scene with HVs in it - worked ok!?!
See attached

Pix are 8.2 render then 8.3 render

mspink
06-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Still awake - sussed it:
HVs that still work ok with 8.3 - volume mode
HVs that render like a neon light - surface mode

Help... still.
See attached, 1st image original scene using 'surface' as HV mode, 2nd same scene with all HVs changed to 'volume' mode (no other changes) - much closer to what it should look like (it's dust/crap being thrown up by caterpillar tracks on a tank).
For full LW8.2 render go to-

www.rmsdigital.co.uk

work - then samples, 2nd clip
definately not supposed to be bright green or blue...

Heeeeelp!

PS - site ok or bum-gravey, samples ok or pig-dribble? (be brutal)

jesusguijarro
06-30-2005, 08:50 AM
Hello, have discover a bug in UV maping interpolation mode in LW8.3, to reproduce the bug the procedure is as follows:

1. In Modeler Top view make a plane (flat box) with 4 segments in X and Z

2. Convert to subpatch. Tab key

3. Make a Planar UV map (texture)

4.In UV view type. Select half polygons and copy texture UV to a new UV Map (texture1)

5.In UV view type. Select all polygons in texture1, check FreeMove and move anywhere.

6.In UV view type. Select the points that are not with the polygons and use Clear Map command. Clear selection

7. Change UV interpolation to other than linear crash Modeler.

The work arround is to Weld UV before change interpolation.

Regards.

Jesús Guijarro-Piņal

jesusguijarro
06-30-2005, 08:53 AM
And another bug in Load from scene in LW8.3 using constrains enveloped weights, to reproduce the bug the procedure is as follows:

In Layout do the following, (it is based in a setup of Tomas 4d) :

1. Create a null name it Master
2. Create 1 bones name FK_1
3. Clone bone name IK_1
4. In frame 0 select FK_1 add motion modifier Orient Contrains selecct target for H, P, B to IK_1 and add an envelope to weight in H,P,B.
5. Save scene as SceneBug.
6. Clear scene
7. LoadFromScene SceneBug crash Layout.

Any solution or work arround for this bug is wellcome, the bug occurs just to creating envelopes in H, P or B. If you disable the envelopes it loads ok.

Regards

Jesús Guijarro-Piņal

ThriJ
07-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Old problem :(

Depth of Field in Camera panel not working correctly with Ray-Trace reflection and transparency.

John Melvin
07-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Layout: Add null--Add 5 bones--select first bone--click IK Boost Tool---Crash. Latest Nvidia drivers.

Am I doing something wrong?? Trying to do some work in bones but held up with this problem.

Thanks

John

jesusguijarro
07-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi, it works ok for me, try reinstaling again plugings or deleting config files. :thumbsup:

drawlins
07-20-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm having an issue with trying to use a simple clip map in layout. The clipping effect never shows up in the open GL window.

As a work-around for what I was trying to do (Use a still to line up the camera view in layout to match a piece of keyed footage) I found another odd bug. Since the clipping wasn't showing up on my mapped poly, I thought I'd just lower the transparency of it so that I could still see the image and also see the model behind it. No good, as soon as the transparency parameter was changed to anything but "0%", the image on the poly vanishes from the open GL preview and is replaced with the default poly surface color. I went back and checked and this works in LW v7.

David R

mdunakin
07-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Can you post up a couple of screen shots of this?
I'd like to see exactly what you're talking about and how it actually looks?
Personally, I don't recall EVER being able to "see" a clipmap in the opngl view, only in renders.
That's why I'm curious to see the screen shots of this.
I still have my LW7.5c installed, so I can check it out in that as well as in 8.3.
But, like in my T-Rex ClipMap Tutorial at my site, you can see that the way
I worked around this, was to use the same clipmap image and map it to
a plane object that was parented to either a null or to the object that
is using the clipmap. This allows you to know exactly where it's placed,
and really, you should be using a null anyway, and parent that to your
object, as this will allow you to make adjustments a lot easier, by
simply moving the null around to posistion where the clipmap will be.
And since you have the plane with the black and white clip map image
applied to it and parented to the same null, when you move the null
around you'll be able to see where the clipmap is going to be at also.

Make sense? :)

Thanx...............md :)
And of course, if you're curious, you can check that tutorial out,
by using the link at the bottom.

drawlins
07-20-2005, 07:53 PM
My apologies, I was wrong about clip map results showing up in the Open GL preview. I was mis-remembering a picture from a LW "how-to" book.

However, the 2nd bug, is still very much operative. Here's a pic showing the same scene from 7.5 and 8.3:
http://www.ai-aardvark.com/David_R/LW/LW_trans.jpg

Once the "AB" poly has any amount of transparency applied to it in 8.3 the texture vanishes and it is replaced with the assigned surface color. If you keep increasing the transparency, that gray poly will indeed start to show up as transparent in the Open GL preview.

I have checked the display options and "Open GL Transparency" is checked. Though un-checking just results in the "AB" poly always looking like it does in the 0% transparent image. The texture remains visible (and opaque) regardless of the transparency setting.

David R

mdunakin
07-20-2005, 09:03 PM
You wouldn't mind sending me the files and image maps for that would you?
I'd like to have a look at it and see if I get the same results?

thanx..............md :)

kevman3d
07-22-2005, 11:28 PM
I have checked the display options and "Open GL Transparency" is checked. Though un-checking just results in the "AB" poly always looking like it does in the 0% transparent image. The texture remains visible (and opaque) regardless of the transparency setting.

LW is on my other PC so I can't check this right now, however have you tested this issue with the 'OpenGL Texture' options in the display options? I'm just curious if activating (or deactivating) options in this will have any effect... I'll test it later...

BTW, I recall in 8.0, you could activate OpenGL Textures' Transparency option, and then it would display any transparency maps in OpenGL fine (except when there became too many, then the PC would become so slow it had to be deactivated) :D

You could try copying your Clip map to the transparency channel temporarily and using this option for setting up things. It worked fine for a project I was doing months ago where I needed to see behind a clipmapped poly...

Just my .2c worth

Kev.

peteb
07-29-2005, 01:45 PM
I did a search here and couldn't find any other post so I guess this hasn't been reported.

Modeller will crash if I have one layer using subdivs while a second layer has polys. If I have both layers displayed and I'm in texture wireframe mode then Modeler will crash.

I'm using windows XP service pack 2. Processor intel 2.4. Ram 1gig and graphics card radeon 9800.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Bill Carey
07-29-2005, 03:26 PM
I did a search here and couldn't find any other post so I guess this hasn't been reported.

Modeller will crash if I have one layer using subdivs while a second layer has polys. If I have both layers displayed and I'm in texture wireframe mode then Modeler will crash.

I'm using windows XP service pack 2. Processor intel 2.4. Ram 1gig and graphics card radeon 9800.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I tried it, no problems here. I'm running XP Pro sp2, Intel 3.0, 2 gigs and a ATI 9600XT. There have been a number of OpenGL updates the 9800 drivers, are you running the latest version?

peteb
07-31-2005, 06:00 AM
Oppps I'll take tat one back. I thought I had the latest driver but it looks like they released a new one last month. Installed the new one and it works fine.

So scrap that bug.

peteb
08-01-2005, 02:45 AM
Very strange, it seemed to work for a while but now it's having the same probnlems of crashing in wireframe mode. It's actually even worse now because it's made everything slow to crawl, not just Lightwave but Photshop as well. I'm going to re-install the old driver.

wilgory
08-12-2005, 09:22 AM
UV Viewport Bug in Modeler. I often load objects into modeler to make adjustments to the UVs and find that the UV window doesn't display the UV or has a red color overlay. Or it just shows the points but no lines connecting the points. Very inconsistent but definately a problem or bug. It happens on both PC and Mac with numerous models.

Vertex ColorMap painting tools don't work well at all. When I paint colors it bleeds to the back of the model. This is far from functional and far from being a useful feature. unless you want to paint facial flesh tones on both side of your character head. I don't think so. Why can't we paint in the the modeler interface. That paint interface is weak and has inconsistent functions. This should be an update for 8.5 not 9.

Thanks
Greg

Promethius
08-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Currently sitting on hold with Sentinel.... talked to Lightwave, who sent me back to Sentinel(SafeNet), saying that they were going to call them and talk "tech." Apparently there is a problem with the SafeNet drivers and the Opteron AMD 64 chips that was unlucky enough to bump into??? Has anyone else out there run into this, or is it just me??? We even tried a custom install with the 7.0.0 driver, same results.
Help..... stuck in Discovery mode and not liking it at all!!!!

Yes, I am having the same issue. I just loaded winXP64 on my AMD64 3000+ socket 939. I can only bring LW8.3 in discovery mode. Must be something to do with the sentinel driver for LW software, not able to detect the dongle. I upgrade from 5.5 to 8, 6 months ago and runs great on my win XP AMD 2.4 Gig machine. Could it be something with WinXP64 also? I am also wondering if has something to do with my dongle being a parallel dongle instead of a USB type? Sure does stink to be in discovery mode too.

I just recieved my replacement USB Dongle for the Parallel one. I loaded Safenet's Sentinel driver for WinXP64. The driver was accepted I check my computer's device list and it sure did. Lightwave still does not see the Dongle when I do a fresh install from Disk.

Not fustrated anymore, finally found the right 64bit driver for the USB dongle that works. I did not know that you can upgrade from LW8 to LW8.3 under discovery mode. After a few retrys with upgrading to 8.3 and reinstall or clean up old driver for the SuperPro driver. LW8.3 finally saw the dongle and now I am up and running on the Athlon64 machine. Can not wait to upgrade to 8.5. Coming soon I hope. :thumbsup:

LFGabel
08-17-2005, 03:32 PM
For what it's worth, the text layers tool is great except that it doesn't weld points that go beyond the inset. You still have to go in and manually weld all the problem corners (like in S)... That's a real drag.

blabberlicious
08-20-2005, 05:37 PM
#001 - The SPECIAL BUFFERs are BUSTED!!!

I don't know about earlier versions of 8, but they work fine on 7.5c.

Con-freakin' firmed (mac too)

ikarth
08-21-2005, 01:33 PM
LW 8.3, OS: Win XP, AMD Athlon64 3200+, 1GB

Lightwave crashes when I enter the following list of frames in the Render Options "Range Type: Arbitrary" box:

1, 5, 8, 10, 13, 17, 21, 22, 25, 29, 33, 36, 38, 42, 47, 51, 52, 56, 59, 53, 55, 58, 72, 75, 77, 81, 85, 87, 90, 93, 97, 99, 101, 105, 109, 113, 117, 120, 122, 125, 129, 131, 134, 138, 141, 144, 146, 150, 154, 155, 158, 162, 164, 167, 170, 172, 175, 180, 186, 191, 195, 200, 204, 209, 213, 218, 222, 227, 231, 235, 240, 245

Splitting the list up solves the problem, but its still kind of annoying.

dkemble
08-22-2005, 12:36 PM
When I attempt to use the "Graph Editor" I get an error that makes me shut down the program altogether....

Any suggestions!?!

toby
08-22-2005, 11:44 PM
When using Item Comment and the plugin Item Comment Display things get crossed up.

Applying the item comment to the null object is fine, but with the null selected and the Item Comment Display custom object plugin is applied the plugin reads :"Light Comment: (no comment).

Then in Layout if you click on the null it selects the light.
Actually it works, you just have to select Null instead of Light -

As for the selection, the plugin makes the null un-selectable in the viewport, presumably because it's just for display, therefore something else gets selected when you click ~

toby
08-22-2005, 11:48 PM
or rather -

Sande
08-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Dopetrack: When trying to drag a keyframe to the end of the timeline, it usually stucks somewhere before the end and you have to try several times before it goes there. Very annoying.

Modeler & Layout (Hub): When having an object open at the modeler, modifying it and then trying to load a scene which has that object, it crashes layout - if not at the first scene loading event, then the next or the one after that.

This happens way too often (well, actually it happens almost everyday) and this has been tested on several computers running 8.3 (and versions before that). Do something about it...

EDIT: I did a quicktest and at least this does it:
I have the hub running. I start modeler and load an object (character). I move character (or modify it some other way, it doesn't really matter) a bit and I don't save. I start layout and try to load a scene where that character is animated. Layout crashes.

This is not a random incident nor computer related. I don't know for sure if it has to be a rigged and animated object or not.

Surrealist.
08-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Don't know if it is something on my end but I am unable to get boneweights to work without crashing.

Edit: It was something on my end. Had some strange reports from Cnvt Skellegons indicatinng they may have been corrupted so I fixed them and Weights runs fine now. :)

tgiadd
09-08-2005, 03:24 AM
Hi

LW:8.3 OS: 10.3.9 G4 Dual 1Gb RAM:1Gb

I am trying to export out a UV map for texturing, but 'export EPS' is not appearing in 'File' drop down. A tutorial by Rob Pauza in the tutorials section of this site mentions the ability to export out UV maps:

"For more complex or organic models where precise placement of textures is critical, Modeler will also export a standard .eps file which can be opened in any resolution using Aura, Photoshop, or any other good paint program. The .eps export command is found in Modeler under <File/Export/Export Encapsulated Postscript>."

I have checked that 'EPSExport.p' is in my plugins folder, and also that I have used the 'add plugin' feature in 'Utilities' to make sure LW knows where it is. The directory listing via 'Edit Plugins' has the following:

Export 3DS Modelling Command Conv3D.p
Export DXF Modelling Command Conv3D.p
Export Encapsulated Postscript Modelling Command EPSExport.p
Export Lightwave 5 Modelling Command Conv3D.p
Export OBJ Modelling Command Conv3D.p
Export3DS Modelling Command Conv3D.p
ExportDXF Modelling Command Conv3D.p
ExportOBJ Modelling Command Conv3D.p

The export options for 3DS, DXF, OBJ and LW5 do appear in the File/Export menu. The name of the file matches the upper/lower case as above.

I thought the export to EPS was meant to have been sorted with the 8.3 release? Any ideas why this is not working?

Annoyed
Tim

:confused:

lardbros
09-08-2005, 03:40 AM
It's definitely not a bug.. but have you tried hunting it down within the menu layout editor? If you hunt it down in there you should be able to add it to where ever you want in the interface.

Also, try this quickly...
make sure you save your own menu configs and stuff, but try going into the menu layout thing and choosing 8 default setting. This will revert all the menus to the original ones, check to see if it's there after this. If not, you'll just have to try and find it yourself and add it to the menu.

Gotta say Newtek could make the interface for editing the interface much simpler and easier to use. I see in LW9 you can copy and paste groups, but you have to save them to a file and then load them where you need them. Why not just have a right-click cut/copy and a right click paste function? Or even a CTRL X/C and CTRL V thing going on? Would be much easier! Sorry about putting this in the bug report section.

tgiadd
09-08-2005, 04:12 AM
Hi Lardbros

Thanks very much for pointing out that otherway to get LW to include the EPSExport.p file - that worked just by going via the 'Edit Menu Layout'. All the ways I had found regarding the plugin tended to be about the plugin not working anymore in the 8.2 version or only referred to the 'Edit plugins' method to make sure it was loaded.

Very Best Regards
Tim

:thumbsup:

sonofmickel
09-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Sometimes when I click on DV View Layout crashes. 6 out of 10 times. I have not been able to reproduce this on command. LW 801 Dual Xeon 2.6 2GB Ram Win XP Pro.

Answer!

When loading LW 8.3 make sure that any other software that uses the Firewire port for preview is closed before pushing the DV View button. Preferably close the program before opening LW.

Scott Gammans
09-20-2005, 05:47 AM
This may or may not be a bug and just more of a complaint, but the "Select Loop" tool is PAINFULLY slow on anything more than a few points in size. For example, I wanted to use the points in a 448-point disc for a curve, so I selected a few points and clicked "Select Loop" and waited. And waited. And waited. The 448-point disc was the only polygon in my model, and on a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 workstation with 2 GB of memory it still took almost two minutes for LightWave to sequentially select the points in the loop.

Since this was a simple polygon I discovered that selecting the polygon's outline and then clicking Ctrl+P did the trick almost instantaneously, but oftentimes that shortcut won't work because either "Select Outline" doesn't select the points in sequential order or the geometry of the model prevents proper selection of the outline. And lord help you if you need to use "Select Loop" on something more complex than a simple polygon... I'll sometimes start the tool and go take a coffee break waiting for it to find a solution.

Any chance of "Select Loop" getting a little optimization for LW9?!

lardbros
09-20-2005, 06:12 AM
Gotta say i've had Modeller crash completely when using the edge loop tool. Just crashed, and luckily i always save backups, so i tried it again, and it was fine. Bloody strange though, it seems like such a simple tool, but i get ready for a crash every time i use it, so save just before hand.

Scott Gammans
09-20-2005, 06:30 AM
^^^ Yep... but then again, I do a pre-emptive save before just about any major operation--especially when using finicky tools like Rounder which can crash LightWave if you're not careful. Sure hope general stability is one of the things LW9 addresses.

lardbros
09-20-2005, 06:33 AM
That's kinda my point though... is select edge loop a major operation? Yeah, i believe that saving alot is a BLOODY good idea, but should we need to before using selection tools?

Anyway, rant over... just hope many of the tools are reworked a tad. Like Supershift needs some work, i've never used it on high poly stuff, because it just doesn't like many polys.

BeeVee
09-20-2005, 06:43 AM
I just an admittedly simple example. I made a 1m sphere with 448 sides, and then selected a few points.

I hit Select Loop and waited about 10 secs and all were selected... And that's on a PIV 1.7GHz machine. Admittedly, there was that wait, but I would contend that if it's crashing perhaps its time to remake your configs or something?

B

lardbros
09-20-2005, 06:54 AM
Beevee, just wondering... Scott Gammans said he was using it on a disc, so presumably this was a single polygon with 448 points? Would select loop slower with single polygons that have large amount of points? I'm at work right now, so can't check till i get home.

Not sure that you even need to select points in the right order to make a curve from a single polygon disc? Can't you just lasso them and make a curve? Difficult to remember when you're not with LW.

BeeVee
09-20-2005, 07:40 AM
Nope, tried it with a disc and it was faster. And I just lassoed the disc completely and hit Ctrl-p to make a curve. You have to select points - the "none selected is all selected" rulle doesn't work here.

B

lardbros
09-20-2005, 08:40 AM
That's kinda what i meant! You can make a curve by lassoing the whole object? You don't have to select them in order. So therefore no need to use the loop select tool on sigle polys with loadsa points. Anyway, i was trying to see if Scott Gammans problem could be replicated, but clearly not. Go for the clearing of your configs, that may work.

I noticed i have configs for all types of things in my windows user settings. Stuff like Bandsaw and things. Wish they were just held in a config folder in the LW folder.

Anyway, clogging up the bug workshop thread with worthless drivel, so i'm off.

moremetall
09-20-2005, 12:42 PM
HI !

I Have found following

error:

Bubbles tool can not be find .. see page 663 and 664 in the manual
Creat/primitives/more/bubbles

Did have same problem on 2 PC's ( one laptop and my stationary PC)

LW8.3 /WIN XP HOMS /AMD +3800 X2 /2x512mb/

Kind regards
Micael

Mary K.Blohm
09-20-2005, 05:53 PM
I've noticed that the Special Buffers don't seem to work. I noticed that someone else reported this in June.

I'm using 8.3 with Windows 2000 Professional and a Pentium 3.

Also, in the WaveFilter Image Filter, none of the non-Full Frame Affected area choices worked.

Does anyone reply to these bug reports?

TARoe
09-28-2005, 11:48 AM
:help: I have used a tutorial to create this nice gold, but because it's based on gradient textures, it doesn't show up in viper. As you can see by the attached image, it looks awful in viper and striking in the render, I want to save the preset, but the thumbnail created is useless, so can I swap that thumbnail for a decent rendered image? I haven't seen a setting that allows this. http://vbulletin.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23521&stc=1

Chrusion
09-28-2005, 01:29 PM
I want to save the preset, but the thumbnail created is useless, so can I swap that thumbnail for a decent rendered image? I haven't seen a setting that allows this.

Doesn't the Surface window thumbnail for this surface more accurately reflect the rendered surface? If so, just press the 's' key to save that thmbnail image to the Preset window. You can then move, rename, whatever that preset.

If not, then No, there's no way to use a rendered image as a preset thumbnail. :-(

mdunakin
09-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Ummm...but Dean, look at his sample screen shot there.
You can see that there is NO representation of the surface in the Surface Editor.
Which leads me to beleave that he must be using only reflection maps to get this and the surface is nothing but Black.
So, he can't do that.
Cuz I thought the same thing at first, untill I noticed there was nothing there to use, but Blackness.

I have nother theory I am trying out right now to see if this could be faked.
Ill get back to this and let you all know if it works or not?

mdunakin
09-28-2005, 02:41 PM
OK!
It worked!
Here's what you need to do to make your own texture show up the way you want it to in the Presets.
It's a "fake job" but it does the job.

What you do is, you first setup your surface the way you want it.
Like how you have your Gold.
With the Viper opened and then do a render of that and Save that render out.
Now, Add a flat plane to the scene and make it about the right size of your rez display.
Parent it to the camera and move the plane out ONLY on it's Z axis.
Make sure it fills the screen area.
Add that last render to the plane as a color map.
Auto Size it, of course :)
Maybe add luminosity and not Difuse to that plane,
so that the color map looks like your rendering of your gold.
Do another render and make sure Viper updates.
Now, when you click on you gold surface you can change it in the panel
and see it ONLY change there, but not in Viper, which is what you want for this.
But, you already have your gold how you want, so leave it alone
and go ahead and click on the Add Preset from Viper.
You will NOW see your nice gold rendering in Viper the way you want,
with an actual rendering of the scene, but it will still keep your REAL surface properties.
When you want to work on your surfaces that are BEHIND the plane,
just set the plane to Not seen by Camera and I set the rest of
the options there to off as well, just to be sure.

Try it and you'll be a very happy camper :)
Works like a charm!

Enjoy!
.........................md :)

TARoe
09-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks for responding so quickly. You guys rock. :thumbsup: Thanks - that trick worked like a charm. Seems like it would have been cool, to let folks change their thumbnail in the presets as easily as they can change the name of the preset, right click, choose thumbnail image, something like that.

mdunakin
09-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Glad it worked for ya, and I also posted your question with my answer to another forum, as I felt that others probably might want to know about this as well?