PDA

View Full Version : Saving avi's

Moviedirector20
04-24-2003, 01:02 PM
When i try to render a animation and save it as an avi isays "Cannot set stream format" Does anyone know what this means and if so how do you fix it thanx!

Sensei
04-24-2003, 01:30 PM
This message came from Windows or LightWave (see window type, LW has it's own error message windows) ?

Obviously you specified AVI stream codec (Rendering Options, Output Files, Type: AVI [.avi] and Options window: Compressor pop-down field) ?

Moviedirector20
04-24-2003, 05:03 PM
This message came from lightwave because it had a kinda styilized look. How would i fix this problem?

Sensei
04-24-2003, 05:49 PM
I would start from checking other AVI codecs already installed on your machine, like f.e. DivX MPEG-4 Video Codec and others whether they works at all, then reinstalling codecs set to different one... Maybe you have installed one which has only decoding functions supported, but not coding... Try software like Paint Shop Pro and it's Anim Shop Pro whether they could use exactly the same codec which you wanted in LightWave.

Moviedirector20
04-24-2003, 08:43 PM
Sorry to bother you again but I am younger than you may think and I don't really know what a codec is. I cant tell you exactly how old but pretty young. So if you can help me thanks if not oh well.

Sensei
04-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Codec is shortcut of Co(der) Dec(oder), something like driver but for encoding and decoding video and audio streams. They could use hardware to accelerate this process or not.

On Windows codecs are also used for catching video and audio streams directly from TunerTV hardware and similar input devices. Some even support direct catching from TunerTV to stream on disk (at least Windows API gives you such possibility, if I remember correctly).

When you go to Rendering, Rendering Options... Output Files, you see Save Animation checkbox, mark it and select path where animation should be saved, then in Type pick up AVI [.avi] and press Options button. This will show you standard VFW (Video For Windows) codecs options window. Press Compressor (pop-down field with names like Cinepack Codec by Radius, DivX MPEG-4 Video Codec etc. etc. they are codecs installed on your's system, and I can't guarantee you will see exactly the same names as I see right now).

When you selected right codec, press Configure to check what options codec gives you (if any) and voila. Codecs which do not have coding functions implemented properly won't allow you to save animations, you must find others which will work.

You could download the latest DivX codecs for example here: http://www.divx.com

BTW, youngness or oldness has nothing to do to your own knowledge, especially in computer business. You wouldn't believe if I would tell you what knowledge I had about computers when I was teen... I started programming when I was 9 years old...

lone
04-26-2003, 03:56 PM
i have this same problem (have posted on it at least three times). it happens, for no apparent reason, on files that previously rendered with no problem. the only changes made were within the scene; all options, as far as rendering, etc., remain the same. i have had one incident where one that wouldn't render suddenly decided it would, the ONLY change being that i renamed the file under Explorer. the most irritating damn thing i've encountered (yet). really, really, really irritating. this is with DIVX 4.2.

Rei
04-27-2003, 10:10 AM
DivX is a .avi file type. So dont try to save that. This happenes when the codec is not installed/or not correctly installed. If the other codecs work, try re-installing windows media player, or something that reads the .avi file type.

gazmon
04-30-2003, 08:19 AM
I think this can also happen if youve loaded on other software (some programmes can over write the codecs or corrupt them accidently!!) Dont know what software does this but I ended up just reinstalling windows once cuz of it. Theres probably a quicker solution tho!
Gaz