PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.3 released!!!!!!!! Comments and stuff

Ge4-ce
05-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Early testers wanna take a dive into the unknown?

Tell us what you think?

Are some nasty bugs gone?
Are the famous OpenGL bugs gone?

fire away those comments!

policarpo
05-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Ok, this might be a dumb question...but when I select the .PSD exporter via the Effects>Processing>.PSD Exporter it looks nothing like the screen shots in the 8.3 Addendum document...

Is it located someplace else...I didn't see a Final Render option anywhere.

http://www.policarpo.us/samples/PSD.jpg

OSX 10.3.9 for what it is worth. Thanks.

Something must be wrong with the OSX compile of 8.3, cause the .PSD exporter is exactly as it was before...no worky...can anyone else confirm this...or am I just missing something (I presume that the .PSD exporter is located in the Effects>Processing drop down...isn't it?)

Thanks.

harlan
05-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey Poli, no offense intended, but did you re-scan your plug-ins after you installed? That might help.

ciao,

blabberlicious
05-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Yeah Poli, it'll work if you rescan.

It'll defiantly work if you trash your configs.

Works here, fine, although I"m not sure about the 16 bit export - hoping there's some documentation about what buffers work in 16 bit.

Darth Mole
05-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Yeah, that's the old version. The new one is excellent - works exactly as you'd think with results just like you want. (Now if only they could that for After Effects...)

8.3 seems pretty stable here.

harlan
05-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Yeah, that's the old version. The new one is excellent - works exactly as you'd think with results just like you want. (Now if only they could that for After Effects...)

8.3 seems pretty stable here.

Yeah and Apple's Motion!! :) Cinema4D has an Apple Motion exporter that is just amazing; would love to see NewTek implement something like that.

policarpo
05-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Ah...yes....of course...rescan...I'll give that a try. Thanks.

zzyzx
05-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Had anyone experienced problems using Lscript Editor for mac? Before the update, it seemed pretty much useless. I couldn't get the editor to type anything without holding a key down for about two seconds, then it would spit off a row of characters.

Anyways, it looks like it's working fine now. It's still listed as v1.3.2. though.

cresshead
05-09-2005, 06:28 PM
OPEN GL BUGS ARE STILL IN THERE, EVEN THOUGH BEN VOST OF NEWTEK EUROPE SAID THEY WERE FIXED............ :mad:

okay...not exactly very happy right now.......just spent money on a mac....and before i bought it i asked here if there were any known issues...none apparently were...so got my mac mini only to find out that this beast and ANY ati 9200 driven mac [emac or ibook] can't display points in shaded mode properly in version 8.0 but i was told that this issue was fixed in the up coming 8.3 so i bought an extra seat of lightwave whilst their promo ran just for my new mac...[i 'm mostly on oc btw]...........anyway...8.3 has NOT fixed anthing regards the display issues for mac's.

drat drat drat! :eek:

harlan
05-09-2005, 06:54 PM
That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

Which version of the OS are you running? 10.3.x or 10.4?

cresshead
05-09-2005, 07:05 PM

just heard from duece that it's okay with 10.3.8 so i'm going for the updater at apple.....hope that the right thing to do!...i'm a new user of mac's so any good hints on how to update the o/s would be helpful!

going to get this:-.....is that okay??

http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-reg3rdpty1.pl/product=05368&platform=osx&method=sa/MacOSXUpdate10.3.8.dmg

26mb updater......

Wade
05-09-2005, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=cresshead]going to get this:-.....is that okay??

QUOTE]

Fingers crossed for you - holding breath - let us know how it turns out. :)

gatz
05-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Cresshead-

Two rules about updating: Always use the combo updater and use disk utility to repair permissions after the update.

And if your updating to 10.3.8, you might as well go to 10.3.9.

BTW No problems here with 8.3 MDD DP G4 1GHZ, 1.75 GB, 10.3.9, ATI 9800 2x20

Tony3d
05-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Where is this Text Layer Tool?

policarpo
05-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Running LW 8.3 on my PB 1ghz with 10.3.9 (latest Patch) and a 64mb ATI 9000 card and I cannot see selected points on shaded models in modeler.

All my other 3D apps on OSX run just fine with this card...

Not sure why this is a lingering bug on the Mac, but it makes modeling totally useless in LW 8 for those of us with similar configurations (now it sounds like the iMac mini has the same issue). :confused:

What gives? This bug has been around since before 8 was ever released...I cannot swap out cards in my PB, and I cannot get custom Drivers for it...

Does modeler only work in the 9500 and above ATI cards?

Oy vey!

policarpo
05-09-2005, 11:04 PM
OK...got the .PSD Exporter to work...is there a GI pass buffer in there somewhere that I am not seeing?

Need to look a little more. Note: The Tabs behave and redraw funny on OSX when you click from left most tab to right most tab in order (i think it's a pixel position bug in the UI drawing routine-I know I know...it's not a bug, just a redraw glitch). :p

policarpo
05-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Diffuse Shading looks like it gives you your GI pass, however, the Lights emitting Shadows aren't excluded from this pass (it would be a nice feature to update in a future release).

I wasn't able to turn off my shadows in the Blue Ninja Scene that ships with LW8 Content (so you might want to look into this some more...pulling shadows is important in compositing for animation and print ya know).

Something like this would be nice: http://www.policarpo.us/samples/ball_test.zip

http://www.policarpo.us/samples/ball.gif

[Edited by the Moderators: Public discussion of means to circumvent software security and violate the license agreement are not appropriate.]

Cheers.

cresshead
05-09-2005, 11:28 PM
hurrah!..i'm not the only one with "issues" on displaying points in modeler!

as for repairing permissions???...
done that...no difference...!

and why is the other update to osx no good then?
if it's "not any use" why do they have it?

and i thought mac's were simpler to keep upto date?

looks like i'll need a lightwave 7.5 installed on this mac mini not 8.x
oh well there goes all those nice new tools i'm used to!

seems a weird bug to me....is it linked to the new 8.0 feature of hiddenline???
cos wireframe is fine...and lightwave 7.5 did not have a hidden line view type i think?

policarpo
05-09-2005, 11:31 PM

cos wireframe is fine...and lightwave 7.5 did not have a hidden line view type i think?

Here's a funny one. Select some points on your model, then zoom into the inside of your model while in shaded mode and you will see those selected points. :)

I am know programmer, but it seems like they are displaying the Point Normals in the opposite direction.

I made that suggestion about a year ago...but like I said, I am no programmer, so I am sure it was just read as crazy talk. :p

Ade
05-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Cant load any of my plugins like Fprime after update, URGENT please help!

noiseboy
05-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Ade,
There was a note somewhere, probably on the Worley website regarding adding the Fprime plugins manually rather than using scan directory mode. I installed the 8.3 upgrade, rescanned the plugins directories, added my menu layouts and keyboard shortcuts and I was good to go..Fprime G2 etc all worked fine.

I suppose that didnt help you much though

Colin

Ade
05-10-2005, 02:51 AM
Noiseboy when I goto add Fprime it says ) plugins found or added..sumtin like that...
Anyone??????!!!!

noiseboy
05-10-2005, 03:27 AM
just one thought, do you have a custom location for your config files? I think LW8.3 hoses your cmdline files and so it creates new cfgs in your library>prefs. another thing which I always do ( well when things go wrong) is to do the repair permissions thing with disk utility.

still not helpful enough though

Colin

Ge4-ce
05-10-2005, 03:31 AM

Have you tried the following? I know it's not a bugfixer, but it's more like a bug bypasser.

go to display options (d) and go to 'interface' there you check "simple wireframe points"

then you do see the points (or you should see the points)

riki
05-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Hey Ade did you get it sorted? You're on a PC aren't you. Do you need to repair disk permissions??

Nigel Baker
05-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Is anyone getting crashes or Beachball when using HardBody Collisions?

Thanks

Nigel Baker
05-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Hello Ade,

Have a look at this, BeeVee from newtek Europe posted it last night for, when I need help.
It worked and FPrime was there. Just beware if you do this you will loose all your TABs if you have set up any special ones for yourself, like Worley Labs Tab.

Whenever you get a new build of LightWave, it's always a good idea to clear down your configs and start again, as follows:

1. Make sure that LightWave is not running, including the Hub;
2. Delete your config or Preferences files (named LW8.CFG, LWM8.CFG, LWEXT8.CFG and LWHUB8.CFG on the PC). Normally on the PC they are stored in your Documents and Settings directory. On the Mac they are stored in the user:libraryreferences folder;
3. Start Layout;
4. Hit Alt F11, then Scan Directory and point it to your 8.3 plugins directory, click OK, then Done;
5. Hit Alt F10, change the Preset menu to 7.5, then back to Default, click Done;
6. Hit Alt F9, change the Preset menu to 7.5, then back to Default, click Done;
7. Quit Layout;
8. Start Modeler and repeat steps 5 and 6 (but with 7.0 instead of 7.5).

This way you can be sure of having the correct default menus including the Text Layers tool in the Create > Text group.

B

All the best.

parm
05-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks for that Info Nigel, I was at a loss about where the new Text Layer tool was.

Looks like I'll have to recompile my custom tabs though :(

Parm

noiseboy
05-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks for that Info Nigel, I was at a loss about where the new Text Layer tool was.

Looks like I'll have to recompile my custom tabs though :(

Parm

If you haven't done so already you can save out your keyboard and menu layouts and bring them back in once you have upgraded to 8.3

Colin

richardsan
05-10-2005, 05:54 PM
i get the 'unable to locate eve3. framwork' error

i recently installed the new os 10.4 and migrated lw8.2 onto it, and everything was ok.
after updating i can't get lw to launch.

thanks

done...after installing twice, it works...go figure..
not exactly...i noticed that using apples "migration" [technology] wasn't exactly the best thing to do, as far as installing their os on a new drive and migrating all the applications..maybe 90% made it through that process, but the remainder, were the real bears to get up and running again. i had to play pat-a-cake with one vendor, as they had a space in my surname, preventing them from recognising my 'right of ownership' as it were...

of course ym/kmv....
/whine

Ade
05-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Problem fixed...HAD to download a new Fprime as the one i had must have corrupted.

Worley helped me out.

blabberlicious
05-11-2005, 12:32 PM
If you want to avoid losing your preciously built Menu Configs - or lose the ability to select freshly added plugins, NEVER USE SCAN DIRECTORY when installing 3rd party plugins en masse.

It's OK to SCANDIR the basic LW plugins folder - just don't SCAN DIR your 4000 freebie plugins folder and expect things to work....

It's OK to Multi select plugins via the FOlder tree view....BTW

Learnt from bitter experience

:-)

jnjcre8
05-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Here is my issue look at attachment. red areas are problem areas.

trison
05-11-2005, 01:32 PM
What about the bug that caused LW to crash and corrupt a scene when you saved. I ran into that problem a couple of months back and it really made life frusterating.

gatz
05-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Your font problem in the interface must be systemic. No problems here. Do you have a vanilla admin user you can log in with to test. I have font woes with Flash all of the time. Usually requires purging font cache, sometimes system caches. Maybe this tact will help here.

rg

robar3d
05-14-2005, 07:46 AM
I cannot download 8.3 for Mac OS X since its data cannot be located when I was attempting to download. :confused:

Mac OS 10.3.8
G4/1.25 GHz