PDA

View Full Version : Falling Jelly Piece with Motion Designer - Problem

Dirk
04-24-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I hava a problem... :D

I want to animate a piece of jelly, falling on the floor. Allthough MD is a little bit... well... tricky, I managed to animate a subpatch-cube made out of the MD jelly-preset with some adjustments. I had to set some keyframes by hand, because without additional animation, the jelly will only wobble around in the air. But thats fine, it gives me some extra control.

Now the problem: the jelly shall be transparent, with caustics, refraction, motion blur & all the nice candy. So I need air-polygons inside the jelly-cube.

I thought this would be easy...

- first try: simply copy the cube, flip the polygons, put all together in one layer, add new surface to the inside-polys. However merge doesnt work, it would destroy the subpatch-computation. Doesnt metter methinks, because the points are on exactly the same position and Motion Designer should handle them correctly.

Problem with Motion Designer: since the jelly should hold its shape, I use "pressure effect". But the flipped polygons inside are not pressed outwards - but inwards, so my jelly-cube looks really strange....

- second try: using frozen cube instead of subpatches. Works somehow, but the result is really ugly: the cube crumbles in a strange way when touching the floor - no good...

- third try: using two subpatch-cubes instead of one. Two cubes, same keyframes, MD settings, etc., one flipped. Problem: Doesnt work. Allthough the two cubes are exactly the same except that one is flipped, MD produces slightly different motions.

- fourth try: using 2 cubes, compute only one with MD and give the second one the motion via a saved motion file. Well... does'nt work, the second cube has a somehow different motion, maybe because of the additional keyframes used...

So, I'm a little bit confused...

any suggestions?

Dirk
04-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Another problem:

MD gives me a totaly unpredictable "Cant scan objects" - error, allthough I've set BBox treshhold really high (about 500.000)....

Dirk
04-24-2003, 01:24 PM
Huh, MD sometimes loses settings and confuses surfaces of different objects....

Dirk
04-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Well, I've found kind of a solution: I do not use "pressure effect" any more, using "hold structure" instead. And I made the inner cube with the air-polygons slightly smaller.

Is there a way to use morfs and MD at the same time for an object? I've toyed around with the md_meta - plugin, but got no results until now.