PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Matrox RT.X100?

MarkH
05-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Matrox RT.X100 supposedly has NTSC framebuffer support for Lightwave, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, DVD Encore, and After Effects. Sounds like a "utopian" situation to me. I only wish it had component in addition to FW, Composite, and Y/C. Lack of D1 720x486 versus DV 720x480 is a minor hassle. I found a third party driver on the 'net that lets the RT.X100 support Digital Fusion for NTSC framebuffer support.

I don't know much about this card or its stability, but for someone who animates and composites (I'm not an editor) this seems like a reasonable choice over the VT4. The RT.X100 is $599; or else $999 and that includes the Adobe Video collection.

Anyone using one of these? Is it stable?

Regards,
Mark

hunter
05-13-2005, 03:18 PM
We use one here at work and it works great. The LW connection as far as I can tell just lets you view your F9 on a TV monitor I really don't use that function much though. But the card itself is great and editing is a breeze.

fgreen
05-18-2005, 07:30 AM
I've used the RTX 100 on a Dell workstation for the past couple of years. The "Lightwave support", as well as support for the other software consists of separate installation choices in the install CD's autorun program. This installs output drivers for the Matrox in the different applications.

For LW, you get a "matrox" choice in your Render Options panel under Render Display. This allows rendering a frame to an NTSC monitor via the Matrox-- very handy to see what your animation will actually look like playing back from tape or DVD. Same goes for Photoshop-- you can select File/Export/Matrox to view a graphic on your TV monitor. This is a great time saver, as you can see it on the TV monitor without saving/importing into your compositing or editing app. For After Effects and Premiere, you get a real-time (matrox hardware accelerated) video previews through the Matrox when you preview or play the project.

Another cool feature with the Matox is the Direct Show panel which resides in the system tray. When enabled, this will pump any video playing in your Windows Media Player (or any other Direct Show enabled app) to the TV monitor through the Matrox.

The RTX100 has been pretty stable, running on my Dell workstation, and overall it's been a real workhorse. If you are animating in LW and compositing in AE, the Matrox would be a good choice to give you RT previews on a video monitor while you work.

You may want to check on Matrox's forum to ask if anyone has used it with your specific computer, if your computer model is not on their "tested and certified" list.

Good Luck!