PDA

View Full Version : bezier handle in graph editor?

illusory
05-08-2005, 08:24 PM
How do I adjust the bezier handles in the graph editor (to shape the curve)???
I have 5 books on Lightwave and the manual, and nothing tells me how to do this! They tell you how to BREAK the handles, but just say 'you can adjust the curves with the handles', but... freakin HOW????

I've tried every button key combo, nothing...

thanks for any,
NJ

toby
05-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Click and drag the dot on the end of the handle. It's a very small target and you have to hit it in the center, keep trying and you'll get it.

It is annoying, good feature request... make the handle big enough to grab! :mad: :p

Matt
05-09-2005, 07:05 AM
I find the graph editor display very frustrating to use (and look at) needs an overhaul IMO.

Something like this would be nice ...

http://images.apple.com/finalcutstudio/soundtrackpro/images/editfeatureswaveformfull20050417.jpg

illusory
05-10-2005, 11:35 PM
well thanks for letting me know -- i zoomed WAY in and eventually was able to get hold of a handle. of course you lose the overall picture with this, so it's not good at all...

thanks!

stib
05-11-2005, 02:49 AM
nonononononoooo! the keyframes in FCP are atrocious! They're weirder than even something Newtek could dream up (unless they've fixed it in 5 of course). try doing time remaps with them.. oh, brother!

Nice keyframes, lemme think.. AfterEffects..? Well they're annoying too: really hard to grab sometimes - but being able to see and adjust the speed / influence of the keyframe is good. They're more like a professional level keyframe..

pdrake
05-11-2005, 09:35 AM
personally, i think the graph editor in electric image is the best i've used. you also get bezier handles on your camera or object path in the layout window. you can drag these handles and see the path change as you do it. i know you can do this in lw, but when it's in a different window it makes it more difficult.

mav3rick
05-11-2005, 11:16 AM
i agree grap edotr need refinment specially easy in out sometime i want tension above 1 or visible control over tensions. also i would like to see better bezier control of curves....
specially i hattte INSANE zoooming into point to make corect break bezier for specify motions

flakester
05-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Anyone ever used Softimage?

I used from about 3.6 to 3.9 and I gotta say.......

While the modelling tools were like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube...

When it comes to graph/spline editing, nothing (NOTHING) comes close. The control the user has in interpolation methods, handle splitting/unifying and general spline control was just wonderful.

Tweaking animation in After Effects by handles in the graph fashion is nothing short of hopeless. It just ends up annoying me every time.

Even LW (As much as I like it) has it's 'quirks' when editing animation splines; the mentioned zoom problem and the increment snap in close quarters. (or is that just me? :confused: )
What I'm after in the long run is the best of both worlds:

Modelling as we do in LW, nice and intuitive for the most part, and graph editing as it was back in Soft. (Nudge nudge NewTek!! :p)

Matt
05-11-2005, 02:19 PM
nonononononoooo! the keyframes in FCP are atrocious!

I've never used it, I was thinking more the look of it, I find it easier to find / edit what I'm looking at, the new Dope Sheet suffers from the same problems - just needs a bit of love!

toby
05-11-2005, 03:14 PM
The best I've seen are in Adobe Illustrator, but they can be frustrating too - one thing LW's really needs is the handles need to be locked when they're different lengths, like when they're converted from tcb's - they're broken as well.

Matt
05-11-2005, 05:30 PM
I agree, if we're talking about how they work then Illustrator of even better Photoshop - you can do everything with one tool and use shortcuts to modify it to be the other tools you need when editing beziers, you can't do that in Illustrator!!!

stib
05-11-2005, 06:46 PM
one rilly good thing about After effects is that you are able to select the keyframes in motion paths, even in 3D space when working with 3D layers. So you can drag spatial interpolation handles around in the 3d view, not just the graph editor. Whenever I work on a 3D composition in AE and go back to LW I'm forever trying to grab the keyframes on the motion paths.

Cman
05-11-2005, 09:36 PM
one rilly good thing about After effects is that you are able to select the keyframes in motion paths, even in 3D space when working with 3D layers. So you can drag spatial interpolation handles around in the 3d view, not just the graph editor. Whenever I work on a 3D composition in AE and go back to LW I'm forever trying to grab the keyframes on the motion paths.

I would 2nd this for sure!

jhopfenblatt
05-11-2005, 10:07 PM
They take a while to get used to, but I think that Photoshop's/Illustrator's Bezier capabilities are so far the best. I wish that LW could implement a similar technique, at least when you're trying to model something using Bezier curves (I don't mess with the graph editor at all since I'm still figuring out the basics in modeling/texturing). As far as I know LW doesn't have Photoshop's ability to lock the handles so that the two curves join smoothly at the point. It's a minor detail, hough, since you can just move the point afterwards to make the transition smooth, but I think implementing something like that would definitely be welcome.

I don't like splines nearly as much as I like beziers. I'm still too much of a 2D person. :confused:

mav3rick
05-12-2005, 04:55 AM
i was wondering why noone write simple addon to graph editor where i will just imput velocity parameter for easy in/ out so if i want slow down motion i would enter velocity and it will recalculate it in tbc or bezier or whatever takes in count just to get corect bezier/tcb flow.

spec24
05-12-2005, 10:40 AM
The best I've seen are in Adobe Illustrator, but they can be frustrating too - one thing LW's really needs is the handles need to be locked when they're different lengths, like when they're converted from tcb's - they're broken as well.

Illustrator drives me crazy because if you don't pick exacltly on the handle it deselects your selection.

toby
05-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Illustrator drives me crazy because if you don't pick exacltly on the handle it deselects your selection.
Yea that's one of the frustrations! The target is too small on those points too. I've never seen xsi's, maybe they're better still -